“Front desk staff were great!”

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kirkland, Washington
“Front desk staff were great!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The breakfast buffet was amazing (and the view from the dining room was gorgeous). I have stayed twice and both rooms were very nice, the hotel is clean and the train station is right across the street. I didn't have a car the first trip and was surprised at how easy it was to walk everywhere from this hotel. It was super convenient to have a Sokos attached for those last minute travel essentials that I completely forgot to bring - easy to pick up with a door to the store from the lobby of the hotel! Wifi was great for video chat back home. Amenities in the room were as expected. I sampled the pool and sauna and they were nice too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 269SarahT269
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review! It is always nice to hear that we have succeeded in making our guests happy. Sokos department store really is easy to enjoy because it is under the same roof as our hotel and the views from the hotel are superb in my opinion too! Our guest saunas are warm in the morning and evening, but I'm afraid there is no pool. I will let the front desk staff know about your warm comments about them, thank you so much!

Wishing you a nice week and hope to see you here at Vaakuna again!

Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Helsinki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed here for a week before Christmas and a week after Christmas. Fantastic rooms that are spacious and the views are great. This is my third visit to Helsinki and each time I always stay at Sokos Vaakuna - the location is fabulous, the staff are amazing, the wifi is reliable and the breakfast is fabulous. Thanks for always making my stay fantastic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review! I am very glad to hear that you like our hotel and seem to always enjoy your stay with us!

Have a nice week and I hope to see you again here at Vaakuna when next travelling to Helsinki!

Helsinki
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We only used this hotel during the day, because we had our little dog with us and needed accommodation for her (and us too). The hotel is right across from the train station in central Helsinki, i.e. excellent location. The lobby is impressive, but our room was everything but. We got a room for disabled people, which was really basic, but quiet. We paid 110 euros for the room + another 10 for the dog, but then we got the dog present (again), which was nice! A very expensive room for a few hours and if I would have gotten this room for a "normal" over night stay I would have changed rooms. This is yet another Sokos chain hotel that I have happened to stay in, but I don't think I want to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

We have all kind of room types available for travellers with pets, also superior rooms and suites. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the room you had but I hope to see you again, so we can let you see other room types too.

Have a nice week!

Kangasala, Finland
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Nice hotel, good location, excellent breakfast, nice staff. Good hotel but a little bit outdated as to all kind of services compared to newer hotels. Location in the middle of Helsinki is also a bit noisy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review!

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel was built in 1952 for the Olympic Games and our hotel is protected by the National Board of Antiquities. There is a certain atmosphere at the hotel for example the high chairs in the lobby - they are original and they are being renovated as are the old wooden panels on the walls too. At certain periods the rooms are always renovated and new rooms are being planned too.

Wishing you a happy New Year and hope to see you again here at Vaakuna!

Bangalore
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I had the opportunity of staying at this on 2 different occasions within the same week in December ! The first time was for 3 nights and the other time only for the day. And that is why... I have experienced the BEST and the very ORDINARY !

The first time around, I was booked into the 901, a corner room with a fabulous balcony (mind you, they have only 10-12 such rooms) and the most amazing view of the city. The decor of the room etc., are very impressive and its a pleasure to stay there.

However, the second time around, I was offered a room on the 7th Floor, which was 1/2 the size for the same money that I paid and to my horror it is just a small cramped room; no decor, sick interiors, very very small and very um-impressive. I had to just spend 4-5 hrs. with it and so I managed, but i am sure, no one can appreciate such a room.

Overall, the hotel is very professional with everything else and is perhaps the best location, one could ask for ! Just opposite the bus/train station. There cannot be a better address !

But if you ask me to go back to this hotel, I will certainly insist on the particular room and only then will I book it.

Sorry but this is the absolutely TRUTH about this place !

Room Tip: 901 or similar ! Be very careful with the other rooms ! A balcony room is a must. Everything else is...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We have over 40 rooms with balcony and it really is nice to look at the city from your own terrace in my opionion too. Our smallest rooms are single standard rooms and biggest are suites with over 80 sq. meters so the sizes do differ depending on the room type. I'm sorry to hear that your second stay wasn't as successful as the first one but I hope to see you back with us at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna Helsinki!

Wishing you a happy New Year!

Reviewed 17 December 2013

A nice hotel in the middle of Helsinki.

I have spent two nights in the suite with a sauna. It also has a large balcony with views to Töölönlahti and Lasipalatsi. The suite is also very reasonably priced for a hotel in a city center: It is about 230 euros per night.

Room Tip: Try the suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vaakuna, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in the sauna suite!

Wishing you merry Christmas and hope to see you again here at Vaakuna!

Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Oltime fashion and modetn.stule. Brdt location next to railway station. Professional staff, good rooms and fantastic breakfast. Evening sauna is a dot over i. I liked again gome here. I recommend if you want more of your stay at Heösinki.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review! It was really nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. I wish you merry Christmas and hope to see you again here at Vaakuna!