“Want to return”

Cumulus Kallio Helsinki
Ranked #47 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I have just returned from this amazing hotel and can't wait to share my views about this wonderful property. From the moment I entered the building, I was treated like a royal guest. The level of luxury, services and sheer perfection they offer is unbelievable. Entire property is very clean and every corner is properly utilized. Rooms are gracefully decorated and well-equipped with things of need. All meals were good, but breakfast was my favorite. I will definitely come here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kreeta V

Reviewed 5 November 2012

It was my first trip to Helsinki and honestly I booked everything last moment and decided to spend more on entertainment thus choosing a bugdet place. Generally the staff was friendly, the check-in was fast, there were sufficient choice of tourist brochures in the lobby, but their elevator is thrilling. Activation with your room key is really safe but the construction is weird with the number of doors to lock it and to start it. The room was small but I am not complaining. The walls are really-really thin and I understood it when my neighbours put the TV volume at maximum and left the room earlier to have breakfast) The shower is not convenient with water splashed all over the floor when you get out of it. The breakfast offers good and decent selection of foods. Did not use the Irish restaurant inside - I only noticed it after check-out.

All in all it is an okay place. BIG PLUS is convenient tram stops around. However what scared me most is the surrounding. It was NOT ONCE that I saw bums, beggars and some dirty drunkards around the hotel and the stadium nearby!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LFtraveller
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Hotel is located in Kallio-area, so there are lot of cheap bars and restaurants nearby. Two trams stop just by the hotel, so getting into city center of Helsinki is easy; tram ride takes 10-15 minutes. Parking places near hotel are quite easy to find.
Rooms are clean and modern and quiet. Staff is friendly and there are plenty of free maps and brochures of Helsinki available in the lobby.
For breakfast you get a lot of choice (from meatballs and sausages to cereals, cake and berries). Breakfast is served until 11 am on Sundays and until 10 am other days.
I will stay here for sure again, when I visit Helsinki.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kuusimaki
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We would stay again. Hotel staff were helpful, spoke English, and the hotel was located across the street from a tram which provided a short ride to city center, the wharf or wherever. Although the room was small, the TV provided access to a wide variety of channels and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The hotel seemed to be frequented by locals primarily. Hotel Cumulus Olympia was so much less expensive than the other hotels in Helsinki like the Radisson.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This hotel is a long walk from the centre of the city, but good value if like me you love walking. I had a twin room to myself, very comfortable, not a great view but very bright. Breakfast was a little limited, but quite good. What really surprised me was the sauna, great for unwinding after a long day. I had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dragonmaster79
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Four days at the Cumulus Olympia, right next to a theatre and a sports complex, good connections to the city through two tram lines, and in walking reach of reasonable eating places. Solid breakfast served by no-nonsense lady who coped well with large crowds everyday. Rather small rooms and even smaller shower, but that was made up by good staff who had ready suggestions for travel, food and other conveniences. Would have loved to have a kettle though. Didn't use the sauna that came with the price. Happy experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sureshplan
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Next to what was on offer for value, maybe this was the one, the professional pictures made it look like a nice clean hotel. When I arrived I was disencharnted. I know hotels are for just sleeping in, but at night I felt like they had put me in a coffin room!

I was on the 5th floor and the tram could be heard clearly at night, the bed, somewhat confortable wasn't helped by the tiny pillow on it. It was mostly clean, but it looked tatty at the same time. The little room was a yellow and green, a sickly colour scheme. The bathroom had a poxy shower, which was so small it was very hard to work right. There were incect legs and silver fish! Not amazingly clean by any means.

At one point I came back to the hotel to relax for a bit, on one of the days I was there, the maids hadn't even done their job of making the bed! Pathetic if you ask me, the hotel staff didn't seem interested or helpful.

Breakfast was okay when I got use to it, but still, it seemed poor at the same time, the eggs are not that fresh, they arn't cooked properly and just sit there, I tried a little but they tasted horrible. I was getting up early so I could go exploring, that did seem the best time to have breakfast, any later and it was packed, too many people not enough space.

There is a bar area on the other side of the hotel, don't order a coffee there like I did. Just tastes like hot boild mud! I was glad when it came to checking out!

Room Tip: Don't get a single room, best upgrade.