“Unexpected attitude spoiled a reasonable meal.”

Mei Lin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #171 of 1,564 Restaurants in Helsinki
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We ordered two simple dishes. One of them, a beef and onion dish, had a stone in it. When we complained, the owner (I think) said that the drinks would be free. When we asked for the bill, she "generously" gave us a 10% discount on ONE dish. In money terms, €1.5 ...

When we complained she grudgingly gave us back €2, i.e., the price of a coke. Needless to say, we didn't leave a tip...

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Mei Lin is a very good chinese restaurant which strives to have as authentic chinese food as possible. The interior is not too big, you have to sit very close to each other but it gives the place a certain atmosphere. We tried some pork and chicken this time, but I want to visit again and try their hot-pot which looked delish!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This place is in the design district and not difficult to find. We went when most places were closed so it was nice to find refuge.

The menu was extensive and it also had pics of the food, which I normally don't like but in this case it really helped because chinese food varies from country to country. Service was welcoming and professional.

The food was quite tasty, it was standard chinese (I'm not sure it was true traditional, but I don't know it anyway) and it really was flavoursome, but also plentiful! dishes were huge and we ordered 2, but could have really done with one! first HUGE bowl of rice is free and they charge you from the second onwards (you won't need it, trust me). Free speedy WiFi.

Will I go back? yeah, go on!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We went here on April 23 for hot pot. It's a small, homey restaurant, with a Chinese chef (the orders had to be written in Chinese, so he could understand. That's authentic Chinese food!). It's located very nicely, on a quiet street but not far from Kamppi. The staff was very nice and friendly, and very happy to explain portion size, and what goes with what, and so on. Overall a very nice experience.

As mentioned, we got the hot pot. We paid 28 euros per person, but we each received a LOT of food. We could pick 3 meat toppings (sliced beef, pork, lamb, fish, crab sticks, dumplings and so on), and 3 vegetables (tofu skin, lettuce, black mushrooms, rice noodles, tofu, noodles etc.). After we ordered another waiter came out and said we could actually pick 6 (!!) toppings from each column, so we decided to double up some of our meat and veggies. As it turns out, we didn't need to, there was so much food, the soup and dipping perfectly complimented each other, and the spicy broth was delicious. The restaurant was quiet, about 10 people ended up eating there, which I guess you can expect for a Wednesday evening, but it's a shame, since the restaurant was quite lovely, and the food YUMMY!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Went here because of some good reviews from another site. Interior was not very appealing, I would've not entered unless having red about good experiences.
Service was super friendly and humble, it was just lovely.

Unfortunately food was no good. Double fried pork was overwhelmingly greasy.

I would consider going back if I would have a solid tip on what is good here (and not dripping of grease), because of the heartwarming service.