Open today: 14:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
The best authentic Finnish sauna

A thoroughly authentic sauna offering - very different to the tourist experience offered by Allas... read more

Reviewed 5 December 2023
Matthew J
Very Warm, in More Ways Than One

I had a wonderful experience visiting this sauna. As a solo American stopping by, I wasn't sure... read more

Reviewed 5 July 2023
freutmich
Kansas City

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Helsinki
from £130.76
from £95.08
from £41.87
from £179.69
More Info
All reviews shower area full body bucket list lockers culture
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Kotiharjun Sauna is a traditional Finnish sauna which gave us a super nice start of our Saturday evening in Helsinki. We really liked the traditional feel, the nice people to chat with, and the very warm and lively atmosphere! Go there!

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank joakimb705
Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

I went to the sauna on the first day arriving in Helsinki. It is rather old and the locker doesn't really work but that doesn't really matter. The atmosphere counts the most, there is a good mixture of people, young and old, with people signing and rap, chatting in the changing room or outside the sauna on the street with a beer.
This wood heat sauna is much hotter than other electric heated sauna I tried in Finland, and is way better.

Date of experience: December 2016
Reviewed 2 January 2017

I went here on my first trip to Helsinki and it was pretty fun. For an American, it feels like a very exotic and authentic Finnish sauna experience.
The sauna itself is wood burning and more in the traditional Finnish style. Locals come after work and often socialize outside with beers or soda.

Pro tip: Bring your own cold beverage. I'm partial to a chilled sparkling water with my sauna.

Date of experience: April 2016
1  Thank geoffbund
Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

I love to take my foreign guests to Kotiharjun sauna. It is a traditional Finnish public sauna, a rare breed in these days.

Bring some beer with you and put it in the freezer while entering the sauna, pay for a locker (and a towel, if you didn't bring your own), and enjoy the experience.

Do not be intimidated by the practically nude men sitting on the bench in the front of the doorway. They are just chilling outside, and will be glad to help if you need assistance.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 13 September 2016

Not so clean, and rather old, but a wonderful experience. You can bring your own beer and you can sit out in the street in a towel and drink it. We fired sauna. Good and hot. Friendly staff and patrons.

Date of experience: September 2016