Open today: 14:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
The best authentic Finnish sauna

A thoroughly authentic sauna offering - very different to the tourist experience offered by Allas... read more

Reviewed 5 December 2023
Matthew J
Very Warm, in More Ways Than One

I had a wonderful experience visiting this sauna. As a solo American stopping by, I wasn't sure... read more

Reviewed 5 July 2023
freutmich
Kansas City

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Helsinki
from £130.76
from £95.08
from £41.87
from £179.69
More Info
All reviews shower area full body bucket list lockers culture
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

I came here with a group of fellow tourists to have a sauna experience for the first time - so I can't compare this with any other sauna. However it was such a pleasant experience, very serene in the sauna room and plenty of space for changing/showering. The atmosphere was great, everyone seemed comfortable with some naked and some in swimsuits. We cooled off in the shower area, but plenty others went downstairs to get some cooler air outside.

Date of experience: July 2017
3  Thank bryonyh39
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Located next to a nice parkway scene in Kallio, Helsinki, this sauna has a lot to offer. A bit expensive but the experience of a wooden sauna will cover that by far. A great experience I recommend to both turists and natives. Very cozy and pleasant. Has separate saunas for men and women.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank JariH290
Reviewed 4 June 2017

Very down to earth and authentic sauna experience in the heart of Kallio district.
In Mid 20th century Helsinki had a vast number of public saunas allover the city. Now only this one has survived. Authentic and a very different experience compared to the stylish newcomers.
Lovely sauna itself with a huge fireplace and a lot of space even on Saturday evening. No alcohol serving rights so you can bring your own drinks if necessary. Cooling down outside is an experience itself as well - specially in winter.

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank 13anttir
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Visiting a sauna was one of my missions when travelling in Helsinki. I have done some research to determine which one to visit, the key criterion was something unique and memorable.

Originally I was to visit another sauna which was kinda close to this one and offered the opportunity to dip in the sea, but on the day I visited, the sea didn't look too inviting. As a result, that original sauna I wanted to visit became less appealing. I immediately changed my plan to visit Kotiharjun Sauna instead, since the offer of a traditional sauna made me really curious.

Kotiharjun Sauna can be easily reached by Metro (I was using a 24hr travel card then so it made sense for me). I arrived on a Thursday at about 4pm and was the only female user. This gave me a good opportunity to check out the changing room and to truly experience the zen of steaming alone in the dim and quiet sauna.

The changing room got lockers, benches and tables for people to hang out. I realized this as when I finished my sauna at about 6pm, two mothers and their kids arrived, I saw them laying out food and drinks on the table (like a picnic!). I chatted with them and asked them if they came often and how long they usually stayed there for. "A few hours at least, we sauna, then eat and drink, sauna again, drink again...and so on!" The kids even got some beach toys!

It was a truly enjoyable experience.

Date of experience: May 2017
2  Thank herolimo
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Kotiharjun is one of the local gems that hasn't been overrun by tourists. Sauna culture is huge in Finland, and you'll see lots of locals coming there to hang out with their friends, or enjoy some quiet time alone.

This claims to be the only wood-fired sauna in Finland, and the smell of burned wood in the hot room is really something special. The facilities are old ('rustic' may be a good term to use), but still clean and well looked-after. There are three main sections: the hot room itself, the shower/massage room, and the changing/chillout room where you can sit down with a drink and chat with your friends or read a magazine in between trips to the sauna.

A few cultural points to consider:
- You need to shower before going into the sauna
- The saunas are nude, but don't worry - men and women are separated into different saunas. Some cultures *coughBritishcough* can get very embarrassed about going naked in public, but the atmosphere here is very relaxed, no one will stare at you, and it's generally a very asexual and body-positive experience.

A few tips:
- Bring your own towel, otherwise you'll need to pay $3 to rent one
- Bring your own beer, but enjoy it in the common room - you can't bring drinks into the sauna itself.
- Don't stay too long in the hot room - about 10-15 mins is recommended for beginners. Make sure to cool down between trips to the hot room either by having a cold shower, or sitting in the common room.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.

So do it like the Finns and give yourself a real authentic experience!

Date of experience: April 2017