Open today: 14:00 - 20:00
Review Highlights
The best authentic Finnish sauna

A thoroughly authentic sauna offering - very different to the tourist experience offered by Allas... read more

Reviewed 5 December 2023
Matthew J
Very Warm, in More Ways Than One

I had a wonderful experience visiting this sauna. As a solo American stopping by, I wasn't sure... read more

Reviewed 5 July 2023
freutmich
Kansas City

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Helsinki
from £130.28
from £94.73
from £41.72
from £179.03
More Info
All reviews shower area full body bucket list lockers culture
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 March 2019 via mobile

As a British sauna lover I chose this because it’s not only the oldest sauna (91 years old) but also the only one heated by wood. I’d never been to a wood-fired sauna before and beware to 1st timers it’s much more full-on than normal one’s especially when they put fresh water on the steam hits you like a blade! It’s just one auditorium sized sauna and while it might feel quite basic at first once you relax and get used to the heat it’s fantastically soothing & relaxing. You need to have regular breaks though and the best thing to do after a period in the sauna (I just about managed 10 mins at a time) is go outside for a few minutes to air off so towel hire is essential! When I visited it was a max of -1degrees and snowing but this just added to the atmosphere! I lasted just over an hour but a local patron (they were all very friendly) told me he does 5 hour stints although he did say he was ‘hardcore’. There is also a reading area inside the building you can go to after the sauna if you don’t fancy going outside in just a towel.
I felt amazing after, clear skin and very rested. It’s really cheap as well at just 14 Euro’s or 17 with towel. So glad I went. If you like Saunas you’ll love this!

Date of experience: March 2019
6  Thank davidhL6194MF
Reviewed 31 December 2018 via mobile

I always wanted to try Finnish sauna and this sauna was a perfect choice to do it. And it is a perfect activity for a cold winter day.
The sauna seems to be kept in its initial concept and it gives a special charm. The place is divided into male and female sections and you are supposed to be naked. Even though it is very well attended it is not crowded somehow. The outdoor cooling down right one the street very nice.
The place attended mostly by locals but it seems that it gets popular among tourists too.

Date of experience: December 2018
2  Thank BorisBru
Reviewed 21 December 2018 via mobile

Kotiharjun is only a few minutes walk from metro and tram stops, and is well worth a trip.

The heat inside is a lot higher than my local gym sauna, but it felt more pleasant (perhaps because it's wood fired rather than electrical). The room is very spacious, and there are 3 lower levels to sit at if you can't stand the heat at the top.

The regulars there seemed very friendly, giving me some tips and talking about the history of the place.

You can cool off in the changing rooms, or put a towel round yourself and sit outside the shop.

The only downside is, now I'm back home, my local gym sauna seems rather dull and sterile.

Date of experience: December 2018
3  Thank stevejb71A
Reviewed 2 July 2018

This is a sauna as it shoud be: warm and soft air, smell of wood, space and quietness. Ladies and gents have their own dressing rooms, showers and saunas so people are naked (but tourists sometimes use towels). You can leave your stuff in a lockable cupboard and buy some cold drinks when you go outside to enjoy fresh air so bring a large towel. It's a good idea to take your flip flops as the floor in sauna can be quite hot and a small towel to sit on. Go to sauna and become a better version of yourself!

Date of experience: June 2018
5  Thank Elina S
Reviewed 1 June 2018

I visited here alone and found the Sauna a most interesting experience .The staff and other clients were most helpful explaining what to do . I really enjoyed sitting out on the street talking to the regulars . I would highly recommend as visit here for people visiting Helsinki.

Date of experience: May 2018