Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
The best authentic Finnish sauna

A thoroughly authentic sauna offering - very different to the tourist experience offered by Allas... read more

Reviewed 5 December 2023
Matthew J
Very Warm, in More Ways Than One

I had a wonderful experience visiting this sauna. As a solo American stopping by, I wasn't sure... read more

Reviewed 5 July 2023
freutmich
Kansas City

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Helsinki
from £128.53
from £93.46
from £41.16
from £193.78
More Info
All reviews shower area full body bucket list lockers culture
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 January 2023 via mobile

Definitely worth a visit, authentic and if you are going on a Thursday or Saturday, the full body scrub at €12 is well worth it.

We didn't go with friends as planned as the ladies sauna was closed for a few weeks for repairs so I went alone.

It's a traditional sauna so no clothes in the sauna itself. You wear a towel or robe (bring your own or you can hire there) if going outside.

Good fun chatting to other sauna goers outside on the street, bring your own beers or buy cans there for just €3.50

Date of experience: January 2023
Reviewed 14 March 2022

Dear Sir I thank you very much for help me , and I thank you very much Dear Sir allow me Share in your Website about : Travels to Helsinki in Finland , and I thank you very much Dear Sir allow me make Civil Servant have Older Women's Naked Beautiful Nice in Finnish Sauna Culture after you agree my Dear Sir .......

Date of experience: March 2022
1  Thank 313ameenq
Reviewed 22 November 2021

I visited this traditional community sauna with local friends on a recommendation. It goes back to the 1920s, a time of solid workmanship and organisation. As a sauna, it is not so harsh, more mellow than some. The whole process by which the sauna is heated is fascinating, and too long to write in this review. The long handled water scoop is huge. The interior is so functional. Well worth a visit if you want to learn about classic sauna.
If you wish, you can sit outside between sessions, or just have a beer in the changing room.

Date of experience: November 2021
1  Thank Westlawns
Reviewed 26 January 2020 via mobile

Kotiharjun Sauna is absolutely worth of visit. There is separated saunas for women and men. After relaxing sauna you can chill a moment outside the sauna on the street.

Even we visited in Kotiharjun Sauna on Saturday evening there were enougt room and free lockers for us.

Date of experience: January 2020
2  Thank juhopulkka
Reviewed 11 January 2020

As a fan of Saunas in the UK I wanted to try the most traditional sauna I could find in Helsinki and this one ticked all the boxes. First thing to say is that no sauna in the UK that I know of can prepare you for the cultural difference in taking a sauna in Finland. These differences are immediately apparent as you walk up the street to the entrance to the sauna, where you will see sauna users (male and female) wrapped just in towels, sitting on the walls outside the building cooling off drinking tins of beer. Note this is not accompanied by loutish behaviour! Sauna staff friendly and welcoming, the changing rooms charmingly original. On getting undressed you pass through what again appears to be an original shower room, before entering the sauna itself which is dimly lit, very hot,multi tiered and to a British tourist's eye resembles something closer to a power station boiler room than a sauna - Great !!! Some points of Sauna etiquette - before putting water onto the sauna coals, check with the sauna user sitting at the highest point in the room first. This was belatedly pointed out to me (politely) when I did otherwise. Birch twigs freely available to enhance this traditional experience. Note there are separate changing rooms and saunas for males and females as it is expected that you go into the sauna naked.

Date of experience: September 2019