“Fantastic location”

Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This Holiday Inn hotel is located right next to the main train station and the bus station and the airport bus stops right outside the door. It is easy to walk to shops and restaurants and the main sights such as the harbour. There is an ironing board and iron and tea and coffee making facilities. They even had sachets of decaf coffee to my delight. The staff were friendly and helpful. On the down side the rooms really need a refurbishment. The furniture is old and tired and the wooden floors badly scratched from the chairs. The shower is one of those corner units and there was no seal, so that the water leaked all over the floor. They also had those awful shampoo dispensers. They provided you with a Discover Helsinki book, but mine was the 2012 edition. There is no security safe in the room and you have to use the antiquated system of leaving your valuables in a safety deposit box in the luggage room.

Be careful if you decide on room service. I was not told there was a 10 euro charge for this when I rang to place an order. When I checked to see if it was written anywhere, I found it on page 3 of the menu in tiny font in amongst the explanation of which foods were gluten and lactose free. This is sneaky. If you are going to charge, then be upfront about it and state it clearly at the top
of the Room Service menu.

I made 4 bookings at this hotel over a 6 week period. One night breakfast was included , but none of the others were. The nightly rate also varied enormously from $140 to $217 for a standard room with no breakfast. I would advise you to book as far in advance as possible and to include a Friday or Saturday night in your plans. My rate at the weekend was $77 less per night than during the week,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelbugVietnam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear TravelbugVietnam,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your dissatisfaction with the value of the accommodations. We do appreciate the high marks for Location and Sleep Quality. We strive to be the best at what we do and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. The reviews that we receive enable us to see where we might improve so that your future stay will be the best ever.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again and if there's anything we can do to make your next stay more pleasant please don't hesitate to let us know.

Adrian D.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn City Centre Hotel in Helsinki a few times now and am well pleased with it. Pity they did not recognize me in the system as a returning guest though... Rooms are decent though not huge. Clean with good beds. Breakfast nothing special but acceptable. Very convenient parking.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank wecoyoteNescio
Reviewed 16 May 2013

It is a well-located hotel. It is next to train station and main bus terminal. Airport bus is just in front of the hotel. It is also located in city centre and within walking distance from port and various tourist spots.
Hotel staff was very nice.
This hotel also offers rich breakfast.

Room Tip: more suitable for business traveller
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank KF_Hongkong
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here for one night because I had to catch an early train in the next morning. I chose here as it is located right next to Helsinki central railway station. The location was perfect as one can walk to the city area easily. Shops and malls were nearby.

I went there before check in time, so they allowed me to keep my luggage in the storage room.

Room was rather simple. No slippers provided. There were no toiletries prepared in the bathroom, if you need them, you have to call the receptionist and ask for it, which I think it was not convenient. Most of the thing was fine except the free wifi service. Only priority club members can enjoy the free wifi service. The receptionist told me that I can use free Internet in the room by connecting my laptop to the cable provided. But too bad, I was using smartphone at that time, so I was a little disappointed.

If you are not particular about the location, can try other hotels that are nearby too!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This is a very nice hotel near restaurants, the train station, and the casino. And the price much lower than nearby chain hotels. They've made several minor upgrades since my last visit, all of which I appreciated: a 120v plug in the bathroom for a razor meaning I don't have to use my one power converter to charge my razor, wireless keycards so no messing around with tempermental door locks, and a small bar of soap in the bathroom (somewhat rare in the European hotels I've stayed at - all use liquid soap). Despite the bus terminal being right outside, the noise isn't bad. And their breakfast buffet, included for all guests, is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Right next to the train station and tram stops, so very convenient. But soulless and no character. Great for business trips and families perhaps. Wireless is not free, but sign up for the rewards program and it is - even then, the reception is not that good; I had to go out into the corridor to get a signal.

• Stayed: January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2013

Dear travelsquirrel9,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed our location. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the challenges you encountered with the internet service. We are working hard to improve our product and would love for you to give us an opportunity to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This Hotel is literally just above the Metro station and Train Station.. So incase if you want to move here and there then this is the best hotel. But its little expensive , like may be they charge you for more on the location.. I stayed in this hotel for 2 times, and the view of both the side is same. Its like on one side its Metro station all you can see is Metros and other side city centre and you can see people running to catch the trains.. There are good eating options available near by like MCD , Subway, Some indian, Chinese also...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank abhit011
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear tuxman_blr,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that the service provided was at par with standards. I am sorry however that you found the rates we offered to be a bit steep. We take all feedback negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

I hope the next time you are in the area you give our hotel another try.

Regards,