“Would go back”

Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
Derby, United Kingdom
“Would go back”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Pleasant, clean hotel. Helpful staff. Room had a TV, a phone, an iron, a coffee maker and a minibar. Elevator required a key card to operate which made a solo traveler feel more secure. The only drawback would be the distance from downtown - about 20 min. walking or a few minutes by bus. Frequent buses and bus stop almost across from the hotel so did not really mind the distance. Shopping center with a large grocery store across the street.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ridgewell
Reviewed 27 October 2012

The room was well appointed, the breakfast buffet is OK and there's a gym.

the best thing about this hotel is the location in the middle of the western business district and a 5 min walk to the Ruoholahti Metro station from where it takes only a few minutes to the city centre

Room Tip: The front is the quietest although not much difference
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights due to business meetings in the city. Hotel staff is polite helpful and welcoming, room I decent size and well equipped. Only down side is the location which is a bit off from the city center but not so bad overall. Good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Traveling4food
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel needs a makeover especially in the bathrooms. I only stayed here for one night, so I put up with the major issues in the bathroom. In short there was a stall shower and on the lower right hand side, the tiles at the base were separated from the wall, and a nice helping of mold and mildew behind them. To add insult to injury, I took a shower before I went to dinner the night I checked in, and the shower is not properly sealed at the bottom, allowing the water to drain in to the entire bathroom. So I had to use all my towels just to brush my teeth in a pool of dirty shower water.

I complained to the front desk and the manager called me to apologize. I told her that I was appareled that housekeeping supervision would let a room in that condition to pass inspection. But then again, I told her that there is obviously no supervision. She offered ways to make amends, but the damage was done. One point that further distressed me was that she said it was confined to my room and other rooms don't have the issues. This is not true, my colleague had the same problem with leaking water in his bathroom.

This hotel needs a complete inspection for needed repairs.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you unpack. !
1 Thank nonnino
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Sir

Once again my deepest apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, due to
our bathroom. In the inspection there was no mold found in the bathroom.
The room is now under maintenance, and therefore not in use.
I have discussed tha maintenance matters with our housekeeping team,
and their importance in letting us know of any problems in the
rooms. The water leaking outside the shower cabin, is also a matter which
I have discussed with my maintenance. We will start changing
the sealing mechanisms in the shower cabins,

I started at this hotel this spring, and all feedback is very important to me,
so that I can make the necessary steps for correcting any problems.

Yours Sincerely
London
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Terrible, worn-out dump miles from anywhere. Worst thing is that the room I got was like an airless, suffocating prison cell - and there was nothing the very nice staff could do. Windows don't open, AC didn't work. Disgusting hotel. I gathered the stuffy room problem is even worse in summer. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Just don't book!
1 Thank Jonathan167
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Sir

I am really sorry to hear, that your visit with us wasn't as good as expected.
I sincerely apologize for the fact, that there clearly must have been something
wrong with the air-con in your room. As I understood, you have mentioned
about the problem to our front desk team, and I am sure that they have forwarded
the message to our maintenance. This is of course very important
information for us, so that we are able to fix the problem. Unfortunately it is
true, that windows can't be opened, however the third window keeps the
traffic sound well outside.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. Feedback is very important for us, so
that we can improve our services. I sincerely hope that you will give us another
chance in the future, so that we can restore your faith in us. Please do not
hesitate to contact me for any further questions, e-mail: helsinki.hihw@restel.fi

Sincerely Yours

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I mainly chose this hotel as I stayed here before and liked it by then. Also, the location close to the seafront (nice view if you are on the right side) and across from a pretty decent shopping centre is quite good. A drawback is the large number of tour groups here.

I am a frequent guest at Holiday Inn and Crown Plaza hotels and thus know that it's hit-or-miss depending on the actualy property. This one seems to have gone for "miss" as of late.

The room itself is OK, no more than that. The bed is not overly comfortable and the Internet connection at times seems to get overloaded.

The lifts are a problem; not only do they make cranky noises, but you may well find yourself waiting for one for over 5 minutes during rush hour.

The reception staff is friendly, but not very helpful.

I booked an executive room, which supposedly includes "free soft drinks from the minibar". Only once inside, you find out that this is limited to one. Not a big deal, but goes to show how accurate they are in their descriptions.

As a Platinum member with a late flight out, I requested a late checkout. I am formally entitled to a 4 pm checkout, but they told me they could only make it 1 pm, as supposedly, the hotel was booked out for the next night. When I pushed, they made it 1.30 pm. If I needed any later, I would need to pay (didn't you just say the hotel is full?).

I then asked to speak to the general manager (as offered based on their satisfaction guarantee). She was not in and I was told she would call me in 5 minutes.

About 45 minutes later, she called and offered a 2pm checkout. I told her I did not find this acceptable and asked how come I could keep the room longer as long as I paid for it, but I could not peruse my entitlement to a free 4 pm checkout. She told me that I could certainly keep the room as long as I wanted, as they do have rooms available - but at a charge.

We finally settled for 3 pm, after my chance to get some rest before a long journey was ruined. I was and am not satisfied. So much about their satisfaction guarantee. They are not exactly cheap either.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 Thank Koalyboy
Heidi L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you enjoyed our hotel location and the nice view from the room. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. As a platinum member you are entitled to a late check out until 14:00, free of charge, this is subject to availability. Ambassador members are also entitled to a 16:00 late check out in all Intercontinental hotels. I reassure you that I will go through once again all the benefits of priority club members with our team members, in our next meeting. I sincerely apologize that our service
didn't rise up to the level it should be.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, I hope that you haven't lost your faith in us, and that you will visit us also in the future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask. For further inquiries you may contact
management through e-mail: helsinki.hihw@restel.fi

Sincerely Yours
Oulu, Finland
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Business hotel next to a highway, a lot of office buildings and a power plant. Rooms are clean and quiet enough yet a bit on the expensive side, as is everything else - I've never paid more for a beer than in the lobby bar here. It's bit uninspiring place to stay, but the metro station is fortunately close by for excursions to nicer parts of the city. There is also a small shopping center practically next door. The hotel customers seem to mostly be Finnish businessmen and foreign tourist groups.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business