“Standard HolidayInn quality bit outside downtown”

Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Hotel is located 20 .. 30 min walking distance from Helsinki downtown (or few minutes with Metro). Nearby has one shopping mall with adequate amount of stores and some restaurants. Hotel itself is standard quality, rooms ok with good beds. Rooms are also quite quiet. Breakfast very usual, not as good as in Crowne Plaza (same chain) but ok. Staff was very friendly. Metro station is couple minutes walking distance and bus stop almost opposite/beside of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank plfin

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here with a tour group on 5/21/14. The air cond. was not working and the outlets were not working. I had to use an extension cord into the bathroom to use my Cpap machine. The staff was unwilling to make any effort to remedy the situation. I will recommend to Trafalgar to take this hotel off the itinerary list. The attitude was indifferent at best. The place is I adequately staffed to provide a minimum level of service. It was a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel, one with staff willing to do something about problems, and a functioning mainten...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Floyd G
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Edina,

Thank you for your visit at our hotel and for taking the time to write us a review. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and dissatisfaction these aspects have caused you. I’m sorry to hear, that our services did not meet your expectations. The main switch shuts the electricity in all other outlets except on the tv-table and bathroom. I understand your disappointment. We will inform better about this for our guests, I’m sorry you didn’t get this information from the reception. I will share this review with our team to improve our service.

Thank you for the review and I hope you will give us another chance to serve you in our hotel in the future.
Best regards, Mari Salonen General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Appreciate the positive reception, even offered a little something for my gold membership, room very basic, but nice and with good amenities as well as coffee/the cooker. Breakfast OK, nothing special but most of what you need.

Even so I ordered the taxi with reception, for my early departure, the night before, it did not turn up, so had to ask again in the morning, and that made my start a little delayed.

Pillows are not good, one too little and two too much, strange that there are 4 pillows all in an odd form and shape for sleeping.

Room Tip: Higher up, the less street noise, rooms toward lake (and motorway) or rooms towards yard (entrance...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located at the western area of Helsinki which is closer to Espoo. As we were with a car, this hotel was picked for easier parking.

The room is fair. But the kettle was not cleaned with smelly tea inside. That made us uncomfortable..

Compared with the one at City, we prefer that instead of this.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobo B
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear BoboB,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the great experience and service they have received. Though our hotel is not quite in the city centre, there is quick way to reach it with buses and metro. One can also enjoy the closeness or the sea and have a walk along beautiful canal nearby. Vivid attraction is also the old Cable Factory close to our hotel. It’s the largest cultural centre in Finland offering vast amount of concerts and exhibitions and events.
Once again, thank you for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotel again soon.
Best regards, Mari Salonen General Manager

Reviewed 7 May 2014

For me it was a surprise to find that hotel in Helsinki after 20 years of visits to the city. Very reasonable price, very friendly reception and well managed rooms with traditional for Holiday Inn good beds. Location is 2 subway stops from the very center, for me it was convenient, as subway in Helsinki is really friendly.
I had fun to stay there, even nothing to complain. Probably the 100% problem-free stay was partially due to my platinum membership, I do not know.
Yes, they have one problem, no family rooms and no kids in the reception, that makes them look too much business, also business centers and offices around. Nothing disturbs from business, though I prefer to be disturbed from time to time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy_St_Pete_2017
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here for several nights recently on a vacation to Helsinki. I'll break this review down into a handful of categories:

Location - It's not downtown, so some people might think "I can't do that." I looked at it as an opportunity to explore the relatively "local" scene (as opposed to all the tourist stuff). Great choice on my part. Right across the street, you've got a really nice mini-mall with a grocery store. It has a couple of restaurants, a coffee shop, a few stores, and a massive grocery store in the basement. That came in very handy! The hotel itself is only a 2-3 min walk from buses or trams, plus it's not 20-min from the downtown area (and, if you walk, you barely notice the time).

Staff - I cannot say enough about these ladies. From the moment I walked in, they were smiling, talkative, and simply helpful. I've been to dozens of hotels in my life and these ladies rank amongst the best. Every morning, they said hello. Every night, they said hi. They asked how my stay was going, if I needed anything, etc. I wish more hotels could be like this. Whether I'm staying a night, or several nights, feeling like you've known them for a long time goes a long way to making someone feel comfortable. I'm going to miss them!

Room - Beautiful rooms. They were clean, a nice temperature, and just overall impressive. I'm from Canada, so the lighting took a bit of time to get used to (inserting your room card into the main switch to control all lights), but I had zero issues all around. The TV had multiple options in terms of languages, which was neat, and I was surprised (though not upset) by a lack of a radio. Maybe that's the norm? I felt at home in this room and that's appreciated.

Restaurant - great selection, great staff, very comfortable. The prices are the same as much of Helsinki. PS. Order the lamb...seriously!

Overall - I was a long way from home for this trip and everything about this hotel made the transition easier. I seriously cannot thank the staff enough for everything they did. It really became a big part of my time there. I'm hoping to come back to the city in a couple of years, if all things fall into place. I'd love to be able to stay here again. I would 100% recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: A higher room facing north gives you a great view of sunsets and sunrises!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank OHLTG
Mari S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear OHLTG,
Thank you very much for positive feedback and for your really nice review!
I was so glad to read that your stay in our hotel was good and that you enjoyed especially the first class staff.
I have shared your comment with my whole team as you have mentioned their excellent service. We are very much grateful for your compliments!
It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in future!
Best regards:
Annika Kotilainen
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I use this hotel alot at the moment, every 2 weeks or so, excellent hotel for the business traveller, facilities are very good and have everything you need including a Sauna (very nice and quiet), fitness gym and even a smoking room for those cold days and nights.

Staff remember me when I check in and always very friendly, I really should take the time to find out their names so I could write some personal thanks, food is very good and tasty.

So keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Mari S, Duty Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Bruce J,

We are more than happy to have Your great feedback. Pleased to hear that our service has been excellent. Good service is always our top priority and we want to provide great accommodation with us. Again, thank You for Your important feedback and welcome back soon!

Best Regards, Tiina Heino / Duty Manager