“Too much design, too small and not practical rooms”
Review of Klaus K Hotel

Klaus K Hotel
Ranked #18 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Everything is designed. But design does not necessarily mean practical. So standard rooms are small with a very small and too soft bed. No place to put your bag. No table for working. Breakfast is also 'designed' rather than tasty. And so forth. Service is poor also - no help or even response.
Too much design...
Location is still however superb

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a 140cm wide bed - standard one person room is 90 cm
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
TeroThynell, Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear DivingSEA,
thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to learn that the room that you were in was not to your liking. Our beds have a very high quality Unikulma mattresses which are mostly complemented by our guests, but I do understand as well personal likings that we all have. Please let us know in advance next time when you are arriving and we can make your bed harder.
Tero Thynell, Rooms Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Klaus K has a lovely cool vibe. Staff are relaxed, friendly and helpful - and the ground floor restaurant/bar is a great place to hang out as is the hotel reception area. As in Helsinki generally, design matters and the hotel's style is deliberate and carefully put together. We've stayed in two places in Helsinki and this is by some way the better option. Everything in Helsinki is walkable (if you don't mind the hills). Rooms can be small, suites better.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Spinoccio

Dear Spinoccio,
I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Klaus K Hotel. Hopefully I can welcome you back soon!
Best regards,
Tero Thynell - Rooms Manager

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a night, on a business trip to Helsinki last June. The hotel staff at the reception were extremely polite and friendly (not always a given, especially in Finland). The room was shockingly small (yes, it was the smallest room I have ever stayed at, in my life) BUT for a night it is fine. The bathroom was also small but functional. The breakfast was also nice, not fascinating, but standard and decent. Downtown, European agencies, embassies, all within walking distance (then again, isn't everything in Helsinki?). On checking-out, again I have to say the receptionist was very polite and kind, defying all stereotypes. The lobby is EXCELLENT, a real study in modern design and effortlessly chic. Feels very cosy! Perfect place to chill. One small thing: To get to the reception, one needs to walk some stairs from the ground floor where the hotel's italian restaurant is based. The whole layout is somewhat weird, not straightforward to all, but personally I had no problems. Overall a good experience, I would recommend it for business travellers although next time I will try somewhere else only to confirm that the room size is as such in all Helsinki hotels (maybe it is, I do not know).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank K K
TeroThynell, Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear K L,
Thank you for your review. I really appreciate the fact that took the time to review us even it's been a while since you stayed with us.Thank you very much!
It seems that you have stayed in one of our Passion Mini rooms which are admittedly small. These rooms are very liked amongst some of our guests who come to stay just for one night. They find it very much value for money and enjoy our LIVINGROOM lobby, as you did as well as our breakfast.
I wish to welcome you back to Klaus K while you are in Helsinki next time! To stay or just for the LIVINGROOM for coffee or drink.
Kind regards,
Tero Thynell - Rooms Manager

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Staying for one night only, I was really fascinated by interior design and attention to details. Rooms are not big, but everything is carefully prepared. Besides, it's extremely clean, reception staff was very welcoming and supportive and breakfast is fantastic. If not crowded, this hotel looks like a design oasis in heart of Finnish capital. Definitely worth staying at if you are on business or need a romantic getaway. Next time I visit, it would be difficult not to stay here again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have been here for one night for a business trip. I gave a lecture at a nearby Art Deco theater and then I joined the social dinner here at in the hotel in a very special Finnish architecture grand dinner lounge of the beginning or first half of 900. The table very elegantly set with numerous dishes glasses and silverware of modern Finnish design. Food was excellent again of Finnish flavor and tradition. Wines available came mostly from south Europe like France and Italy (Tuscany and Piedmont) and also from turkey. Excellent top level choices of wines. Overall I liked very much this hotel because you felt the warm hospitality and even with such fast and busy visit I could appreciate the warm Nordic hospitality and style.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

nice place but Club Ahjo's constant bass beat at 2:30 am (even though I had asked for as a quiet a room as possible) woke us up. I spoke with some other guests who complained about the same thing. Not exactly what you want when your sole purpose has been to get some peace and quiet from the kids and spend a nice night out in the town.

Please, if you want to keep customers enjoying otherwise a nice hotel with ambiance and great rooms, do something about the Club Ahjo.

Room Tip: avoid rooms to proximity of Club Ahjo. I dont know how you can do it but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank famman_12
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed in Klaus K for one night. I made the reservation one month before the stay over their own Internet reservation system and got the confirmation mail with reservation muber and all seemed well. When we then came to the hotel, the reservation was not in the system. Well, that can happen, but what really struck us was the staff's inability to recover from the problem. After a while (after having been asked if we were in a hurry, never giving explanation why even asking) we got a room, but we were never apologized for any incovenience. So, the moment of truth to win back the customer's trust was missed.

The room itself was really nice, well cleaned and personal style. I would stay there again, if only...

The lock system on the door of the room was a bit loose, and we mentioned it when we cam back to the hotel in the night. The night staff was friendly and thanked for the information and wished good night.

For some reason the fire alarm went off in the morning and we woke up, no big deal, it was time to get up anyway, unfortunately no one bothered to inform us about what had happened.

The breakfast room was is located next to the reception. It was pretty crowded, maybe the fire alarm caused people to come over at the same time. The selection of food was good, but once again it felt pretty bad that the people standing behind the reception desk idle did not bother to say even good morning to us.

It is a known fact that as long as the service process works the service can be good, but when a problem arises a the moment of truth needs to be faced, you need to have people who put the customer first. Being a Finn myself I know this is difficult in general for us Finns, but we were still appalled by the attitude of the reception desk personnel, two ladies and neither of them bothered to apologize for inconvenience, assure that it will be taken care of and give us a customer promise that would win our trust back. Not a single smile, not a single sorry. It left such a bad taste in the mouth that we will not visit this hotel anymore as long as we have choice.

Room Tip: They are all different, just hope for one matching with your taste.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sven H
TeroThynell, Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Sven H,
Thank you very much for your honest feed back. I am very sorry that we did fail in many areas regarding your stay. I hope that we can have an opportunity to welcome you back and prove that your past experience was an isolated incidence and not what Klaus K Hotel really presents.
Tero Thynell, Rooms Manager