“Excellent Choice in an Expensive City”

GLO Hotel Kluuvi Helsinki
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Helsinki
lewes uk
“Excellent Choice in an Expensive City”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The hotel has a fantastic location, slap bang in the middle of the shopping district and a few metres from the Esplanade and a short walk to the bus and train station or the ferry port. Despite this the rooms are well insulated from street noise.
The reception is compact and can get busy given the number of rooms. I booked a medium size double room which was on the 6th floor and a good size. The room was very nicely decorated and for once boutique meant just that – quality fittings, well thought out space and good bathroom. Nice toiletries and great shower, the bed was comfortable and the climate control worked well. For the price paid it offered excellent value for the centre of Helsinki.
Breakfast was good with a nice choice of food and decent bread, juice and coffee. The restaurant is quite compact so it does get crowded at popular times but I was always able to get a table.
Wifi was a bit patchy in the room and the free connection was quite slow although there were faster connections available for an additional fee.
I was extremely happy with my choice for the three days I was here and will be happy to return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are very quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank paulosussex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moscow
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The hotel is simply great if you need to mix your business plans with some shopping, walking and looking around - all in the very center of Helsinki near the main train station.

The standard room in a semi-hitech style was big enough, very clean and convenient. You have a free WiFi everywhere at good speed and two options of paid hi-speed WiFi (very cheap, BTW) if you need more. Not required, in most of cases. You will also get a large multifunctional LCD, a very comfortable bed, and a separate working area - again, very convenient.

Breakfast/restaurant/bar: nothing special, but good enough. You can also easily find many other good quality restaurants and cafes in 3...5 min radius, starting from the excellent Karl Fazer cafe & shop across the road and a Belgian pub next building.

If you can book a room at a good price - do it without any doubt. Nice place!

Room Tip: Look at the hotel photos to see if it fits you well enough. You will be also asked if you would like...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. It was one of the best hotels we chosen in our entire trip in Norway and Finland. The location is excellent, just 10 mins walk from central station and several mins from tram stops of some major lines. It's in shopping district and we felt safe at night. The room is huge and the long bench beside washing basin is just very convenient for my wife to put everything out from the luggage bags. We did have a problem of out of electricity one night (but lights still on) and the staff changed a room on the same floor for us very efficiently. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Binfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in hotel GLO for 1 night and on arrival were asked if we would like to upgrade to a larger room. I'm glad we did as the room we upgraded to was not very big but that would be the only negative about this hotel. It is ideal in the centre of everything in Helsinki. The airport is some distance from the centre but there is a bus from the airport to central station, the hotel is then a 10 min walk from there. We chose to have dinner in their restaurant as we were given 50% off vouchers, without these the restaurant is quite pricey but the food is excellent.
The hotel was clean and modern, they have a spa but we didn't have time to use it. If we went back to Helsinki I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 17 December 2013

To be honest, I missed the hotel entrance despite walking past it a few times! I kept thinking that was the entrance to the restaurant/bar but it is actually the same entrance.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the bar/restaurant. The staff practically ignored me although they saw me. Food quality was ok, not fantastic. I feel that the price and quality do not match.

Hotel staff service can be a hit and miss. There was one lady who was really helpful and informative when I enquire about how to get to the Temppeliaukio Kirkko. She even printed out the tram route so that I can be sure not to miss my stop.
But the staff during my check out was less helpful. I checked out at 4am and got her to help me book a taxi. When she managed to get one, she just informed me I can wait outdoors now (taxi was not there yet nor was I told how soon it will arrive), and although I had 3 pieces of luggage, there was no offer to help at all.

The hotel is centrally located in the city, close to shops, Stockmann and restaurants. It is also walking distance to Senate Square (where the Christmas market is) and Havis Amanda. There are tram stops in front of hotel so it is convenient to hop on one. I chose the Glo Large room so it is really spacious. Given the size of the room and location, I feel that it is good value. There is free wifi in room but it was not very stable. I had a street view room but it wasn't noisy. Only bad point is because I am on 3rd floor and the room faced some offices, I had to keep curtains drawn for privacy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Binyamina, Israel
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A very good hotel right in the heart of the main shopping district of Helsinki. It's close to everything that has to do with downtown Helsinki. The rooms are clean - Beds are a bit soft, but the ambiance of the room is great, The main desk employees are polite and helpful. The lobby is tiny. Very decent rates for the location. If and when I go back, I'd choose it again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room facing the main street, I was told by a colleague that cleaning machines mak...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Otriper
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Glo Hotel in the centre of Helsinki. Needless to say, the location is perfect. This hotel is located in the heart of Helsinki and you can easily get to places by foot, tram, bus or the metro. Even though the hotel is in the very center of the city, you won't be disturbed by noises or bars/restaurants in the area. The hotel is quite new, and you can tell that by the looks: it is modern in decoration but also in atmosphere and service.

The room I had was not very big, but it did not bother me. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was sparkling clean and there was a big flat screen TV to complete this comfortable room for two.

The breakfast was also simple, but you could also tell that it was all about the quality.
Organic, Finnish ingredients, warm foods, fresh bread... yum!

I warmly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to ensure that they spend their nights in a cosy and comfortable hotel in Helsinki.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends