“Nice design hotel in the heart of Helsinki”

GLO Hotel Kluuvi Helsinki
Ranked #12 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Sandefjord, Norway
“Nice design hotel in the heart of Helsinki”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Central in the heart of Helsinki. Nice design hotel. Good service. Nice size rooms. Medium or large rooms are recommended as these much nicer. Nice size bathrooms. Ask for a room away from the streets if you are a light sleeper. I had a room towards Kluuvikatu and there was noise there from 0500 from garbage trucks, suppliers etc. So I ended getting woken up at 0555... my fault for not asking for quiet room. But slept very good otherwise. Good gym on the top floor. Nice breakfast area.

Room Tip: read above
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Daniel M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Hi,
I've stayed at Glo many times, two times last year, in August and in October. Both times I chose the corner room on the 7th floor. Love the location of that room, as its in the corner of two streets, to which you can see from the windows and yet you don't hear any traffic noise. The room is very spacious, well equipped and has pretty much everything you need. I personally love the idea of semi-open bathroom, i.e. no actual door to separate the space.
Front desk officers are always very professional, however, always very busy. Most of the times there are several people by the desk and you have to wait for a while to get there and they don't have time to answer the phone during busiest hours. However, they are always very helpful and nothing is too much of an effort for them.
Despite the fact that this is just a 4 star hotel, they treat guests as if it was a hotel of 5 stars - and I've seen many. They treat their guests with respect and you can tell by their attitude that they value their guests.
Breakfast is somewhat limited. The space is too small in comparison to the size of the hotel and the selection of the breakfast items could be better.
On my (I think over all third or fourth visit) stay in August I had to ask 3 times to get gluten-free bread on the breakfast, so I learned from this and next time I informed the hotel in advance that I'd like to get such bread for breakfast so when we stayed there in October the bread was right there, warm and ready for me when I asked for it. This is what I call a great hotel, only 4 stars with limited staff resources and yet, they really try hard and do their best. There is no such thing as a perfect hotel. However, what makes the difference is the fact that the hotel learns from the feedback given to it and next time the guest can be assured that the problem won't occur again.

Location of Glo is great for shopping and dining out. It's in the middle of the city, you don't need a car to get around, you can always hop into the tram or just walk to any of the nearby boutiques, shops or cafes. Also boat cruise docks are quite close,as well as the market square etc.
Would I go back? Yes, although I may want to try another hotels as well, but yes, Glo is always a good choice, especially when it has great offers.
One minor thing though, the receptionist took my Finnair Frequent Flyer Number and told me that I'd get points for staying there, but I never got them (same thing happened at Kämp), not a big deal, but still, if they tell me I get points, I should get some… (I wonder if I could get those points afterwards.)
Would I recommend the hotel? Yes, already have. Lovely place and bonus; Kämp spa is right there and they offer great massages. I didn't try the gym but my syster did and she said that it was good, and was willing to recommend it as well.
So over all, very pleasant experiences, shop till you drop kind of hotel since all the shops are right there - nice!

Room Tip: Corner room on the 7th floor is really my favorite, been there for many times.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is in a great location, very central to all shopping and bars and restaurants. Didn't watch tv at all so cannot comment on that and didn't use the spa which can be used at the larger sister hotel, Kamp, next door. However, my travelling companion asked if the spa could be used and our receptionist said yes, forgetting somehow to tell him he needed to pay 20 euros to use it. He found this out when he went to use the spa the following morning. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel, preferring instead to sleep in and then eat in local cafes. We were there for two nights and our room on the 6th floor was quiet and not a bad size. We had a standard double room which is I believe the next size upwards. If you are travelling with someone who is 6 foot plus, the smaller room would be cramped. It's worth paying a little bit extra for the extra space. I would recommend this hotel as a very useful location with decent breakfast (as told to me by my friends) at 18 euro per person.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a bigger room than the smallest one, especially if two of you travelling together.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Central location in Helsinki. Friendly and helpful check in with nice bar area in the reception area. Rooms are spacious and clean with a large bathroom. Large TV but with limited English channels. Had an early checkout so missed the included breakfast but there was a very small buffet in reception.
Would not put Helsinki on my top ten places to visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Nice room, excellent shower, good gym, only downside that room is a bit small, cannot sit at your desk. Gym had two multifunction machines, so you can do quite a lot, rowing, Nordic, running, nice on top floor so no claustrophobia when working out.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

the hotel is just above average of lets say Sokos hotels (a Finnish hotel chain) - nothing special but hardly anything to complain except the tiny room. Therefore I recommend to book a larger room if travelling as a couple or family. The shower (rain forest) was excellent - better than in many 5-star properties. Breakfast (included in room price) ok and a bit crowded at times.

Room Tip: Book a larger room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
palacekamp, Guest Relations at GLO Hotel Kluuvi Helsinki, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Heavytraveller73,

Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are sorry to read that you did not find your room suitable for you, next time your are visiting our property we definitely recommend you to choose a larger option. We have wide selection of room categories (six to be precise) to choose from, and we really hope every one will find their own favorite from our selection. The selection starts from 13 m² Smart economy room and grows up all the way to the Penthouse Suite with space over 80 m². Thank you for your comment around our rain-maker showers, we are glad to read you found them luxurious and enjoyable.

Thank you for staying with us, we are looking forward to welcome you here again!

With Best Regards,

Enni Viuhkonen
Guest Relations
GLO Hotel Kluuvi
Joensuu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The small room really is absolutely minuscule. In fact the tiniest hotel room I have ever seen in any hotel anywhere! Some hassle in the reception when we checked in. No room upgrade was offered at check in. Breakfast barely reached average, really just the basics, and coffee from a thermos. Location is really great, in the heart of the city, and it is very convenient to reach the hotel from the central railway station. Motorised bed was a nice touch for the tiny room, because there was no space to sit anywhere but on the bed - or in the toilet... However, the setting in the double bed is the same for both sleepers, so expect a fight over the bed´s remote control... ;)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends