2,381 results
All reviews converted prison tram stop prison theme prison walls prison hotel tin plates unique hotel prison cell original features city centre number tram uspenski cathedral viking line ferry market square private sauna comfortable rooms min walk
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

My favorite hotel of our Scandinavian trip. Breakfast was delicious. The staff uniform is a black and white striped design. A very fun place to stay that did a nice job of incorporating the theme and jail’s history with a simple yet elegant touch through so many details.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Sami J, Chief Concierge at Hotel Katajanokka, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Greetings from Katajanokka!
It is an honor to be the best hotel during your trip. I am happy that you liked the atmosphere here and the way the prison has been turned into a hotel. I hope the tour in Scandinavia was a success! Welcome again!

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Despite the negative connotations of its previous use, this sensitively converted prison building is a fine, pleasant hotel, ideally placed for visiting Helsinki. A tram passes the gate. Comfortable room, excellent breakfast buffet, hospitable staff, lovely brickwork. The island of Katajanokka is worth visiting for its art-deco streets, its sea views (quite common in Helsinki, of course), and the ungainly icebreakers that tie up at its wharf for the summer.

Date of stay: June 2018

Dear Cormac O,
Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear you liked the way the conversion has been made and had a nice stay here with us. It is nice that you enjoyed this beautiful area of Katajanokka as well. Welcome again!

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Our 8th time in 9 years in the Jail. Always good and friendly service. Accesible room was excellent 20 yards from reception. Breakfast extended to 11 am this year which is excellent for those who enjoy late nights. Room rate comparable with Holiday Inn etc in UK if not cheaper. Food & drink is expensive but par for the course in Helsinki. It is a city centre hotel. Has nice grounds with a terrace bar.

Room tip: Book direct.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Greetings from Nokka!
Some people just won't stay out of the prison! I am delighted you enjoy visiting us again and again. I hope the 9th time will come soon, see you then! Enjoy the summer!

Reviewed 11 July 2018

The room was very comfortable on the ground floor. Interesting decoration and fascinating to note the history on the building. Quiet and clean, I spent 2 good nights in the hotel. And during June I was thankful for the blackout curtains. The restaurant was busy, which is a good sign and overall I was satisfied with the food and service. The staff were helpful and friendly during all interactions, and I would like thank them for helping with directions and other advice.

Room tip: All rooms are old prison cells, so are standard.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear MrClu,

Thank you for your kind review. I am very happy that you liked this combination of old, historical prison & modern lifestyle hotel. Due to that history the walls are quite thick, so I am happy you enjoyed the quietness. I will tell your greetings to rest of the staff. I hope you enjoyed Helsinki and the bright nights. Welcome again!

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Unique hotel with good location (only few steps from tram stop). Nice atmosphere and excellent staff. I had superior class room and it was stylish with all amenities you can accept. I can highly recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Sami J, Chief Concierge at Hotel Katajanokka, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Dear jou63,

Thank you for your kind words.I am happy that our hotel & staff offered you a good stay. I really hope you could also visit us again in the future.