“Well located, excellent value”

Original Sokos Hotel Albert
Ranked #38 of 66 Hotels in Helsinki
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Great value hotel within walking distance of most of the sights. Our room was bright and modern, and very quiet. Excellent breakfast buffet; a very large variety to suit most palates. We had dinner here one night too and it was also very good. We would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri.
Our staff are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would be honoured to have you as our guest again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Original Sokos Hotel Albert

Reviewed 12 July 2012 via mobile

The hotel Albert is well located, and is within walking distance of the train station, west harbour and esplanade. It is two blocks down from another sokos hotel, which lobby is more luxurious, but also more expensive. If location is what matters to you, then choose Albert.

Breakfast is included and is well above the average continental breakfast.

Front desk was very helpful.

Nearby grocery store and restaurants.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I spent 3 nights here, upgrading to a superior room so I could check-in at 111AM (they had a room that was vacant). The people at the desk were lovely, the room was clean and reasonably sized. The #6 tram is on the corner and takes you to lots of places - Arabia, train station, city center.

I can't say more about the location because EVERYTHING was closed for the midsummer holiday, which was quite disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry for the inconvenience due to the national midsummer holiday caused you in the form of closed shops and businesses (a variety of restaurants are open). Although the shops are closed only for two days, it can be a disappointing surprise for visitors. I still hope you had a good time in Helsinki.

We do hope to see you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in a single room.

Pros:
*The room was nicely and modernly decorated. Single room had quite a big single bed, working table, flat screen tv, minibar, ironing board and iron, small "wardrobe" and bathroom with a shower.
*In the lobby there was a nice looking library/bar where you can read several magazines the hotel offers.
*Breakfast was ok, nothing special. The usual bread, bacon, eggs, cereals etc.

Cons:
*The room was very hot even though I had set the air conditioning to coolest. I can image that during summers it can get _really_ hot.
*There were stains on the room walls, especially next to the bed. I didn't even want to image what those were but otherwise the room was clean.
*The pillow was very hard and lumpy. There were two pillow options available, but the other one was too soft and slack for my taste. But I think hotel pillows are never very good.
*You could _really_ hear very loud bangs when people let the doors of the nearby rooms slam shut behind them. In fact the sound of the doors closing was so loud that you think someone just entered your room, and that is not a nice feeling when you are just about to fall asleep and alone in your room.

The hotel also has a restaurant but I didn't try that during my stay. The hotel is located about 10 minute walk to the city center and you can find a smallish supermarket very near. I would not likely go back to this hotel as there are many other hotels to try nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert.
Regarding the cons you mentioned we are delivering extra fans this week (week 26) to upper floors facing the sun and our goal is have our maintenance dept. paint over stains and scratches as soon as they are noticed.
We do have a harder and a softer pillow since this has been the feedback of our guests. In addition there are smaller (and thinner) children’s pillows that can be requested from the staff.

In July we are installing new, bigger TV:s with additional foreign channels into all rooms and the library bar.

We sincerely hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I'm really enjoying my time at the Sokos Hotel Albert. The rooms are really modern and cute, with a funky design. It's really nice to see after so many drab hotels. It's no wonder that Helsinki is the World Design Capital of 2012.

The staff are super friendly and helpful.

The restaurant downstairs has really good food, and breakfast was amazing.

I don't want to leave :]

Room Tip: Make sure you have the breakfast, it's delicious. Rooms on the corners are the best.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank seattlestravels
hotelmng, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you enjoyded our service and rooms. We hope to see you soon again.

Kind regards,

Kati Jousimies
Hotel manager

Reviewed 25 March 2012

The main thing I remember from this stay is a decent sized room. Location was good and close enough to everything. Most of the decoration in the room was pretty new including huge television.

We did not encounter any problems with our stay so I'll rate this hotel very good.

Food tip: On the corner of the block (left from the main door) there is pizzeria "Dennis" which I think is the best pizzaplace in Finland.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Dear Mr.Villemies,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback regarding the Sokos Hotel Albert
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will get new in room TV:s this summer, so the TV:s will be even better.
Also I would recommend the Pizzas at our hotel restaurant “Papa Albert”. They are really tasty and oh so good. My personal favourite is the “Diavola” ;)).

We do hope to see you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

The hotel is easy to reach by public transport (5min direct tram from the central station) and offers excellent quality for the price (less than 100 euros). Nice district with beautiful buildings, many shops and 10-15min walking to the centre (well, there was so much snow&ice that one had to walk very slowly those days!) ; the building looks rather boring from outside but it is very cosy and modern inside; our room on the first floor was quiet (despite my fears when I started hearing the machines removing mountains of snow!), very big (a standard one), super clean, good bed and pillows. We can certainly recommend their Italian restaurant where we enjoyed dinner. Unfortunately we had breakfast in a hurry before leaving to the airport very early in the morning but the offer was quite impressive to satisfy all tastes. I wish I could have had more time to try more things!
Finally, staff was friendly, very helpful, easygoing -we noticed that in another Sokos hotel in the country, they seem to get good training on how to make the client feel home, really- Highly recommendable!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple