“Best local spot in the city-a real treasure!”
Review of Sea Horse

Sea Horse
Ranked #77 of 1,709 Restaurants in Helsinki
Price range: US$16 - US$43
Cuisines: Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Came across this place because my mom watches a lot of travel shows back home. Glad we decided to give it a try and to my surprise there was not a lot of tourists packing in rather lots of locals. It could be because it was in the weekday vs weekend. Anyhow-if you’re in Helsinki and looking for traditional Finnish food this is the spot!
We had the amazing Baltic herrings as an appetizer and for main courses we tried the meatballs, steak, reindeer, and my favorite the sweet bread (happens to be like an elevated chicken nugget) all were delicious and flavorful! Love how each dish had their own potato for that specific dish. The sweet bread came with sliced potatoes, the reindeer came with mashed potatoes with onions to give it a nice crunch, the meatballs came with a whipped mashed potatoes! All different but amazing as it complemented the dishes perfectly. We were then blown away with the next course-Dessert: the “squeaky” cheese and pancakes...look at the photos and you can almost taste it yourself!

1  Thank Jamie C

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The restaurant is an easy 10 minute walk from the Park Esplanadi in the center Helsinki. It appears to be a place frequented mostly by locals. That said, the staff was welcoming and spoke English. The restaurant was recommended by my hotel as a good place for fish. They were correct, and my dinner of the perch was quite good and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were told sea horse is a long established restaurant serving traditional finish food. I am sorry to say that both the place and the food are quite dull. It all felt like a trip back in time of the former Soviet Union. Soviet style depressing decor. Soviet style stuffy food. It can be enjoyed as an experience however... but not as a culinary trip...However I must say that our waiter was extremely nice.

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Unpretentious, hearty, good value, great service
What’s not to love?!?!?
Locals place... so they know best

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

I’v been there tens of times in last 20 years. The place and the menu have been more or less the same all the time.

Very good (Finnish) food and also nice place to take few drinks when having long lunch.

My personal favorites are: Salmon soup, vorschmack and onion steak