“Give it a try!”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Kampinmalmi
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is the restaurant for the first cooking school in Finland. I have passed the store front for 10+ years but this was my first visit. As a teaching-restaurant, you need to understand that your waiter and kitchen staff maybe at the beginning of their careers and set expectations accordingly.

As it turned out, our waiter was inexperienced and we had to check twice to make sure our orders were noted correctly.

This is still "parsa" asparagus season and we were not let-down by the choices of preparation or the results that we were served. The main course was a filet of beef with steamed vegetables. All three diners were also happy. The wine selection is limited but enjoyable, as the Spanish, Altozano Tempranillo Cabernet Sauvignon was a good choice and at a reasonable price. My fellow diners each thought the passion fruit cheese cake with mango sorbet was quite good. Our meal ended with a coffee and Calvados, as is traditional of a good Finnish meal.

The final bill was very economical for Helsinki restaurant standards.

So do not wait a decade to try this restaurant. And when you do come, give encouragement to the young students!

2  Thank yrlesru

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Restaurant Perho lured me and my friend in by advertising reasonably priced blue mussels on a huge sheet on their wall. As we went in it turned out they were serving a buffet lunch, no mussels before afternoon. Well, the head waiter was kind enough to ask if the kitchen could already cook two servings of mussels and, yay, they could. My dish was supposed to be garnished with chili and cononut cream, but the taste was very bland. The serving of fries was really small, I think I counted nine or ten fries. Fries and the mayo were tasty though, obviously not made from industrially prepared, frozen products. Wine was good, too. Deserts were fine and they had surprising combinations on the menu, like popcorn ice cream. Our waitress was lovely, a little bit shy young woman. She followed the etiquette without cutting any corners.

What really lowered Perho's grade was not only the mussels but the quality of advertising. If they only serve certain dishes in the evening their gigantic outdoor poster should say so. Another customer complained that she came in a week ago to have mussels because she had seen the poster. She was told that the restaurant starts serving the dish next week. Again, no dates in the add.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

I have eaten at this restaurant a few times, and the last time was last week with my spouse and our two small children. We found that the place was great for kids, because it's large and never crowded. Waiters were keen to please and so looked after us well. The food was good, though sometimes they do tend to err on the side of serving very small servings because it looks pretty. Overall we had an enjoyable time and were pleased with the experience. I'd recommend it to families wishing to try something different in Helsinki. I really like the idea of a culinary school putting their students to the test in-house.

2  Thank Therooster
Reviewed 25 March 2010

This is the restaurant of Helsinki's culinary school. As such, the service can at times be a little haphazard, but the students are very keen. Not cheap, but a lot lower prices than many other Helsinki restaurants; the prices reflect the fact that it is a catering college and some allowances must be made. In fact, I once had one of the best meals I've ever eaten here. For good value, Ravintola Perho can be unbeatable. I would certainly be happy to eat here again when I'm next in Helsinki.

3  Thank Matthew303
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Great to see the restaurant school service. Don't expect perfection but they do try hard to please. Always something new on the menu. Try the wheat beer made by the students (potent stuff!).

2  Thank GarryPHelsinki