“New concept - refurbished rooms”

Original Sokos Hotel Seurahuone
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kotka
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed just one night at Seurahuone. They have improved the service concept and rebranded the Sokos hotels in Finland - this means there is a selection of cosmetics in available in the bathroom, a non-expensive bottle of wine waiting for you on the table and free bottled water available as well as coffee and tea. Bottled water in Finland is a little bit strange, since usually in Finland normal tap water is of superior quality to bottled water. Service was also very good - at the reception they made contact and helpful and friendly.

I encountered a strange problem during night: there was some kind of automation to balance the use of air cond unit and the radiator of the central heating. When room temperature was set somewhere between 20-23, only the fan was running, the radiator did not warm up. Therefore, cold air from the window and outer wall flowed to the room and I was shivering of cold in my bed the most of the night. Early morning I made on last attempt setting the thermostat to 26 C and voilá, the radiator started heating the room. However, this was much too late to recover any decent sleet during that night. Conclusion: something is wrong in the heating system. When it is cold season, the central heating must be on _continuously_.

Room Tip: Since the room was near the lift, the bell of the lift could be clearly heard in the room. If you ar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Isidorus

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed here for a month room was good, staff all friendly &food was good.
There is a bar downstairs that is a nite club on weds,fri&sat night well worth a look or the other bar in the French restaurant which is a bit quieter. Good location lots of restaurants&bars nearby

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rob A
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I spent one night here during a business meeting. That Tuesday night was very quiet in the city, there was not even a single snack bar open at 11 pm, so minibar with its chips and chocolate was a life saviour. Hotel was clean, a gym was ok and the breakfast buffet was great.

Room Tip: nice views to the park at the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Browsing the booking sites the hotel was booked solid , so we called from Abu Dhabi and a nice lady answered and said a room will be reserved in our name when we get there and it was , the hotel now has a big box full of phone chargers , the breakfast is just as good as it was last year , WIFI available in the room as well as a kettle ,coffee, chocolate and tea.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We were in Kotka on business so it isn't a place I would of chosen to go.

That said....We arrived at the hotel, situated on the main thoroughfare and parked in the chargeable secure underground car park, as street parking was metered.

Following a friendly check-in we made our way to our somewhat dated but clean room.

I had read that there are two parts to the hotel, old and modern. We had the old.

The first thing we saw was a room wall mounted trouser press with in-built ironing board. I needed to iron shirts. It had a plug on it, but the flex was not long enough to reach the socket. Bazaar. I asked for an extension lead at reception and after a small argument received one.

Room had: two single beds pushed together to form a double, cheap but clean single sized duvets, noisy air-conditioning, no safe, black out drapes, no coffee making and a basic table and chairs better suited in a dining room.

There was bottled water but not refrigerated. Not sure if it was complimentary.

Bathroom had a walk-in shower and full blown electric sauna. We didn't use it but instructions seemed easy. Basic toiletries and fresh clean towels, slippers and robes provided.

We hired (not sure if chargeable) two pedal bikes and cycled before dinner; exploring the town with its mix of an architecturally beautiful Watch Tower and unsavoury Karaoke bars.

The harbour area was pleasant and we found a nice bar for a drink, being a former train carriage.

We ate in the hotel's Amarillo's restaurant and the food was surprisingly exceptional and I do mean exceptional. Menu was French influenced with great wine.

Service was hit and miss as there was no continuity of staff. We waited for the proficient one to come by before requesting anything.

The bar closed at 11PM and we were asked to finish our wine by moving through a 'secret' door into an exceptionally large night club.

A real mix of people of all ages from 18 to 50 and packed solid despite a mid-week evening. Apparently it's a regular busy haunt. It goes on until the very small hours, hence the reports of noise in the rooms.

I missed breakfast due to an early morning meeting and a later night than planned in the night club. On check-out I was presented with a bill on a till roll, like a shopping receipt, all in Finnish. Having used the hotel for business including meeting room hire, projectors and the like I couldn't understand it. Plus several colleagues were charging drinks to my toom. But the total felt right. Hence why I don't know if the bikes were chargeable.

So make of that what you will. As I said, a mixed review.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Staff friendly and helpful but noise in the room unbearable.

Be aware that 3rd floor, and room 335 in particular, is above the night club and in front of ventilation units. Impossible to sleep before 03:30 AM. Strongly advice to avoid this part of the hotel. Not worth the 118 Euros I paid, despite my efforts to get a reduction the following morning

Room Tip: in this hotel,ask first to see the room and ask clearly about the location of the night club. Avoid...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights in July
Make sure you get a room in the new part of the hotel, they are apparently much better.
Our room had no kettle, I asked for one for my husband’s medication and was told they did not have any, but I was later told by two members of staff that the room in the newer part all had kettles, no safe, again I was told in the newer part the rooms had safes. We did not pay less for an older room, surely we should have.
Out side dirty
Bed room small, no drawers for your clothes have to leave underwear in case
No bottled water in room
Asked for a kettle as husband on medication told we do not have any
Wine very expensive
Breakfast ok
Very basic
Expensive car park 14 Euros a night
Eat in restaurant on night one table cloth dirty, stained
Probably was considered luxurious in 1930
On the plus side our room was clean and bathroom roomy.
Asked for a filter coffee in the bar asked if wanted anything else yes please some milk gave me the litre carton, not at all what you would expect in a hotel.
Staff not very friendly except for one female at reception, did not get her name but she smiled and spoke to me!

Room Tip: Newer rooms they are apparently much better
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kotka
Hotel Cumulus Kotka
Manor Hotel Karhulan Hovi
Hotel Kestikarhu
Hotel Kestikarhu
#7 of 8 in Kotka

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Seurahuone? Share your experiences!