The house is a little cottage attached to a barn in an elevated position overlooking beautiful rolling hills, and yet within easy reach of a village with all the essentials (FANTASTIC patisserie, also boulangerie, supermarket, bank, tabac, even a weekly market with fresh fish, fruit & veg, and cheeses).
The cottage has been well modernised to make the maximum use of space with two bedrooms & bathroom upstairs and a shower room, dining kitchen and living room/3rd bedroom downstairs. The courtyard gets the sun almost all day - we loved sitting at the outdoor dining table for breakfast, or relaxing with a pastis, watching the sky and trees change colour at sunset.
All sorts of local attractions:
* Hautefort with its grand formal chateau and gardens
* Jumilhac le Grand with its fairytale castle and occasional brocante (antiques/junk) market
* St Yrieix la Perche with its summer concerts and exhibitions (we saw the strings of the Berlin Philharmonic on tour and a Picasso exhibition) and the pretty old town (and of course the brocantes)
* Excideuil, with yet another castle, and a good food market
* Arnac Pompadour with Sunday horseracing - it was fun and very easy to place a bet - and market/fair and of course another castle (home of the national stud)...
* Limoges, with the medieval old town (especially their equivalent of the Shambles - a butcher's street like the one at York, with its own tiny chapel) and of course, the porcelain
* Perigueux, with the Roman museum and amphitheatre, and beautiful old town with fantastic restaurants (and brocantes)
* the old forge at Savignac Ledrier - underneath the shadow of a castle (which you can't visit, unfortunately), the recently restored complex and pretty watercourse that powered it (great picnic location)
* the papeterie - the paper mill - open days when you can make your own paper
We loved it, and have been back several times.
|A romantic getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children||Tourists|