“Well worth the journey!”

Moominworld (Muumimaailma)
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Despite turning 21 this year, I've been desperate to visit Moominworld - I was slightly concerned about feeling out of place in a park that is obviously meant for children, but I needn't have worried! My mum was kind enough to go with me and both of us had such a fun day, we were giggling nonstop and despite planning on spending half the day there, we arrived at about 11am (an hour after it opened) and stayed until it started closing!
Everything is totally magical from the huge five-storey picture-perfect Moominhouse complete with Moominmamma's jam cellar and Moominpappa's study, to Snufkin's campsite where he holds regular storytimes in Finnish, Swedish and English. There are plenty of fun activities for kids and the people dressed as the characters are always putting on performances around the site or at the theatre. There's also an adorable little post office where they send any postcards for you for just €1, specially stamped with a Moomin postmark and your own Moomin stamp of choice! Everybody working there is very helpful/polite and speaks good English. Even the theatre offers performances with English subtitles!
I've noticed a few people say it's an expensive place but I would have to disagree slightly. You can save money on the tickets by buying online. The prices of refreshments, food etc. are about average for the area and I would even say that Little My's pasta & pizza place is pretty cheap. I would very much recommend the combo pancakes (about €6,20 if I remember correctly) from Thingumy and Bob's ice cream parlour! The gift shop merchandise is perhaps the same price as anywhere else I visited around Helsinki and Naantali, give or take a couple of euros here and there.
Overall it was an amazing day, one I won't forget in a hurry. I'd definitely recommend going around this time of year if you're planning a trip there as I'm led to believe it'll be PACKED full of people in about a month's time.

3  Thank Duran J
There are newer reviews for Moominworld (Muumimaailma)

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a wonderful day att Muumimaailma with grandparents and all! It was good that, unless you wanted to buy something, there were no extra costs after the entrance fee was paid.
The food we bought was unfortunately not very good - if possible, bring your own pick-nick lunch. On the other hand, the water front promenade in Naantali is lined with nice restaurants where you can eat before and/or after your visit. The one we tried had a great breakfast buffet for only 8€.
Of course - Muumiaailma is best enjoyed in sunny weather and if you know the stories and the characters.
Good to bring some extra cash - there's no ATM in the area, although you can withdraw some 20€ from your card in the post-office.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The place was ok but I was wondering to whom is this place catering for - I am not an expert but the only age-group who may fully appreciate this place is between 4-6. The kids in my party (7 and 8) had somewhat outgrown this place. You also have to make sure that the weather is nice which allows you to spend some time at the small beach there (it would be a bit silly to travel there for an hour or two - this is how much one needs to cover the park). And it is pricey, in line with the in life Finland in general.

Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Truly the only real place for all Moomin lovers. All details are really well made and they really work. Service and services are also great.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

First of all, I guess a couple of age 29 and 31 with no children is not the average Moomin-audience. But hey.. even it was only us, and a couple of Japanese tourists who were there without kids, it still was cool to see the creatures we had seen in our childhood. The Moomin-house, and everything. And the infamous Groke.. scary :) 25 Euro to get in. Not so bad. Free theatre-show. Nice buffet, 15 Euro for grown-ups. Also suitable for vegans. Every souvernir-thingy with Moomin on them cost a fortune, tho'. We were there in mid-June. Not so crowded. It was nice. Have a feeling July isn't that relaxed in the park :S

1  Thank Glenn E