“Average hotel”

Rantasipi Laajavuori
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Jyvaskyla
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Although this is a very big spa hotel, but we didn't really enjoy our time here that much as we expected. This hotel need some refurbishment. Staffs at frontdesk and restaurant were excellent, but some of staffs at the pool weren't as friendly.

Room was ok, but can hear people walking and talking all the time when they were passing our room so we didn't have that much of a good sleep.

Overall stay was ok. We might visit this place again on our way to competition in Keuruu next year. Maybe it'd be better the next time!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Hotel-Laajavuori-Jyv, General Manager at Rantasipi Laajavuori, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Upariya

Thank you for staying with us and for taking some time to write us a review. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant.
We apologize that there was some noisy moments what has been disturbing your night. Our hotel is proud of its level of service and for this reason your comments have been noted and will be documented for our future improvements.
We do hope that we will have the honor to have you as our quest again.
Sincerely, Satu Lodman, Hotel Manager / Spa Hotel Rantasipi Laajavuori

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I spent two nights here with my family. Children were well catered: there was game room, playing room, kids karaoke and other doing for kids. Only thing wondering: in spa pool is not pool about a meter-long child? Baby pool is too small, and other pools are too deep. Service was mainly good, but food had to wait too long. And we had a dirty glass in the room - of course it was regreted, but I have to ask new glass... somehow I would assume to get it without asking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Petri R
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel Rantasipi Laajavuori is located outside the city of Jyväskylä, next to small ski resort Laajavuori. The location is excellent, if you want to snowboard but otherwise it's a bit far away.

Hotel Rantasipi Laajavuori is visible aging. Soundproof is quite lousy and no air-conditioning. However in Finland most of the time you need heating so that's not real problem.

Spa and sauna world is smallish but very nice. We spent hours there every day. And it's free for hotel guests. Also parking and wifi are free.

Hotel breakfast is very modest, but otherwise the food in hotel restaurants are tasty, a little pricey though.

If you are travelling with family, Rantasipi Laajavuori is a good choice, there are family rooms, game room for teens and play room for toddlers and small kids.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Timo K
Reviewed 10 January 2014

The welcome at the reception was okay but the lady seemed to be occupied otherwise and did not really concentrate on us (even though my husband speaks Finnish perfectly, so it could not have been the language). The hotel floors feel more like a hospital than a Spa hotel with 4 stars. The room itself was okay but its best times are definitely over. I did like the balcony towards the lake even though we could not enjoy it due to the bad weather.

My husband went to the spa area twice and said it was nice. He thought that the forrest sauna was strange as there were bear roars and forrest sounds in general (not very Finnish). A hotel in this category should provide flip-flops for the spa area for free; you have to buy them at the reception for EUR 6.

We spent last Christmas in this hotel and the hotel was anything but fully booked. However, I can confirm other people's comments regarding the breakfast buffet: It was sufficient but from a 4 star hotel I would definitely expect more. There is a starting point (?) at the buffet and one morning at least 10 people were queuing up before me (the only place where you can find plates). Also, milk was missing in the coffee machine and within half an hour no one from the staff refilled it.

As it was Christmas, no other restaurant in Jyväskylä was open. Therefore, we did not have a choice but to have dinner at the hotel every night too. The food was good but some of the staff was certainly not trained. We ordered a small beer and got a big one. The waitress served the beer to my husband first, carrying my glass from the top. She crossed her legs taking our orders and even when she realised that I did not speak Finnish, she did not ask me in English. Really not 4 star standard in my opinion. In general, I thought that the staff was very unmotivated. I feel sorry for them that they have to work on Christmas but that is really not my problem.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I landed at Jyvaskyla with diffidence as it was my first stay at a Spa Hotel.Coming in from India, I was dreading the cold Autumn Season of Finland and the cold winds from the North Pole.
What a surprise I received when I walked into a homely,cosy, warm room with a fantastic view of the surrounding forests and the second largest lake, Lake Tuomio, in this Lake Dist. of Finland! The view across the lake especially at night, with its twinkling lights and the slow dawn is worth every Euro that was charged!.
The resort is in a quiet, forest covered district with many trails nearby. For those who like trekking, there are a couple of paths up the ski resort opposite the hotel. A lovely area to catch up on some Frisbee in your leisure.
A fairly long walk in either direction brings one to shops with essentials. The bus connection to the city centre is pretty good too.
A visit to the Spa and Sauna is a definite must.
Breakfast was a huge spread, with an array of foods.Even the vegetarians in our group did not lack for variety.The service was prompt, unobtrusive and friendly.
What this place lacks is proper wi - fi connectivity. It was quite erratic, throwing a spanner in my communication with my workplace and home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank manawari
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I spent here 3 nights with my husband to visit Rally Finland. I booked a superior room with panorama (there are beautiful forests around). After check-in we realized that our room was facing to the parking lot and the room was very outdated - looked like rooms left from the late 70's - nothing like on the pictures at Booking.com. The receptionist told us that this room is panorama because it has big windows... What? I showed her the pictures that we made us to decide with this hotel. It turned out that those rooms are fully renovated and normal rooms even on lower prices that we originally booked. They gave us a moneyback return to balace the difference in prices and we could get the room originally expected. This one was comfy, and with nice view to the forest. The breakfast was good and had a wide selection - even gluten-free and lactose-free products too. The Cafe Bar is great they have super burgers and good ciders. There is free wifi if you ask for the code-card at the reception. Overall it is a lower-four-star hotel.

Room Tip: Check your room before occupy to be sure you get what you wanted.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sipos K
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Our standard room was 4th floor and there was a balcony with great view. Hotel seems a bit worn, but room was nice and clean. Air condition seems to work at the public areas, but our room was really warm and that's not good thing at night; poor ventilator is not enough. Spa-area was really nice and breakfast good. Hotel located about 4km from city centre of Jyväskylä and easiest way to go there is by bus.

Room Tip: Our room was 4th floor and we had no A/C. Ask from reception that your room A/C really works.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jyvaskyla
Scandic Jyvaskyla
Hotelli Verso
Hotelli Verso
#3 of 8 in Jyvaskyla
Original Sokos Hotel Alexandra

Been to Rantasipi Laajavuori? Share your experiences!