“Convenient location, clean room”

Scandic Tampere Station
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Tampere
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was my third trip to this hotel, it is very close to the city centre and the railway station. I was this time given a smaller room without an arm chair, which was really nice the last time I stayed here. This room was ok, clean but quite small. The breakfast was good and I thought the service was also good. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. In my opinion this is a nice hotel, I will be back in a couple of weeks again.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite small in size, ask for a larger room if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Mikko M, Front Office Manager at Scandic Tampere Station, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hi LoHel,

Great to hear you had once again nice stay with us. Thank you for your review and being loyal guest, which we appreciate a lot. We all wish you warm and sunny summer an look forward to see you again!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

if you have small children then this is the hotel to stay at. Kids seem to be able to run around and be as noisy as possible throughout breakfast! we had to sit outside (which was nicer anyway) to escape the chaos. Rooms are nice and new, and comfortable (we had 2 adjoining rooms). BUT very little attempt in cleaning by staff the next day. All our used towels were left on the floor, fresh ones were not provided, the bath/shower was not wiped down, a coffee cup was just left on the bench...and the beds were not really made at all...etc. Very disappointed to come back to the room after a day out. I left reception know and fresh towels were brought up, but looking at other reviews it seems this might be common!
Again - more staff required on front desk when busy!!!!!!
This is my second scandic hotel stay (first one in turku and second one in tampere), and will definitely NOT BE coming back to either.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mikko M, Front Office Manager at Scandic Tampere Station, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear aussiegirl2014,

Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. I´m sorry to hear that you were not so satisfied for your stay. July is the most common holiday month for Finnish families, and because ot the popular and famous amustment park in the city, lot of families are staying in hotels during the July. Normally it is more calm at the breakfast and hotel overall. I will have discussion about your experience with our houskeeping team members. Towels should be changed if you put them on a floor and beds should be made during the day cleaning. Please accept my apologies for these mistakes on cleaning.

Have a nice summer and welcome again!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Context for this review: I rarely stay at "family hotels" or at chains, so my criticisms might be unfair. Let me start with what was great: the room itself was large and modern with great flexible design and cheerful colors. Seriously good design (think: ottoman cum storage drawer cum footrest cum extra desk seating). Plenty of storage, good minibar, generous desk space, decent window with a side panel that opens. Tub was small but shower was hot and strong. And the hotel is quiet (we were on the 6th floor). What was good: friendly staff, value for money, the scandic extras (money to spend in the mini bar, e.g.), and location. Close to the train station, but "the wrong side of the tracks" for the cultural stuff I was most interested in - museums, charming shops, good restaurants. Not so good: crowds, restaurant and housekeeping. Again, I'm not a family hotel person so maybe the kind of swarm at breakfast is normal. We ate in the restaurant our first night, and it wasn't to my taste: filling portions, but a bit heavy and bland. Re housekeeping: I would say it was clean, esp the bathroom, but not tidy. Our duvets were just hauled up to the top of the bed, with no effort to tuck in the bottom sheet, smooth wrinkles, etc. One day the footpad was missing. And we didn't seem to get cleaning most days until late afternoon (I'm sure you could ask for it earlier). Bed was ok. They do a brisk trade, so you'll always be second or third in line at reception if you have a question. When the staff get to you, though, they are very friendly. I might stay here again for business - there are not a lot of options in Tampere - but then again I might try for something more intimate.

Room Tip: I think the higher rooms are quieter - but maybe also more $$?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank felix78901

Dear felix78901,

Thank you for your stay with us and writing a nice review. During the summer, all the hotels in Tampere are full of families, because the popular and great amusment park in the city. Normally our hotel is more for adults on business or leisure. I´m sorry about few mistakes on cleaning, we will go this through with the housekeeping team members. Day cleaning is done between 10 am and 4 pm. There is no extra cost for the higher location if it´s a standard room, but most of the rooms are located on 2-5 floors.

Have nice summer and welcome again!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Pros: Station-front location, nice breakfast (starts at 07:00, wish it were 06:00), easy access to S Market (supermarket), short walk to Tampere University.

Cons: Sauna hours too short (18:00-22:00), sauna room too small (2 is a company, 3 is a crowd, 4 is impossible).

Room Tip: I stayed in room 307. If you love trains like I do, you get to see the station.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mikko M, Front Office Manager at Scandic Tampere Station, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi antwerpen-centraal,

Thank you for staying at Scandic Tampere Station and writing a nice review.
Breakfast start at 7 only during the summer. Normally on business season, it will start already at 6.30. I´m sorry about the small sauna, but glad to hear, that otherwise you had nice stay with us.

Enjoy the summer and welcome again!

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night in a superior extra room. Rooms were modern, spacious and nice. We enjoyed the sauna in our room and our balcony. The room was quiet eventhough there is a busy road next to the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Mari R,

Thank you very much for your stay with us and your kind review. It´s nice to hear that your visit went so well. Just one little correction, you have stayed in Superior Plus room, because in those rooms we have sauna and balcony.

We look forward to see you again!

Best summer wishes,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a very contempory furnished hotel and usually I prefer olde worlde or quirky but ....... our one night stay here before our flight back to Milan was a very nice experience. Met with a smile from a very competent receptionist, lovely room on the 6th floor, ULTRA CLEAN, I nearly didn't get in the bath I was afraid to dirty it, lol. Our room was very big, massive bed which was ultra comfortable, big tv with a good selection of channels, (movie channels mostly in English and they were free with our spring saver booking). Coffee & tea in the room, ice machine in the corridor, as was a shoe-cleaning machine.
Breakfast was excellent. It's not your typical English fried breakfast, but you get all the rest and a lot more, too. I was more than satisfied with this hotel and would have no problem returning there or recommending it to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lisaitalyMilan
Mikko M, Front Office Manager at Scandic Tampere Station, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear IisaitalyMilan,

Thank you for staying at Scandic Tampere Station and writing an excellent review.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Superior Extra room and our breakfast.

We hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was in Tampere on business and had never stayed in the new Scandic Station hotel before, so chose that to get a new experience. I went to Tampere without knowing if i would stay in my room for 12 or 5 hours, so I chose a Superior Extra room to make my stay more comfortable in case my meeting would end early and I would stay in the room for a bit more than just the mandatory sleep period.

I went to Tampere by train and had a 2 minute walk from the station to the hotel. After climbing upstairs from street level I arrived to hotel reception. I was welcomed by a trainee who knew what she was doing. I got to make some wishes regarding the whereabouts of my room and chose to be as high up as possible. I was given keys to a Superior Extra room in the 7th floor and was told that in addition to being larger than standard rooms, my room had free movie channels.

I went up to the room and saw a very modern room which was clean and bright in colors, but not in a "we tried too hard to be modern" -type of a way. The room was larger than the average Finnish hotel room, but I would still not call it roomy, but rather close to standard. The bathroom was nice, with a bathtub that I also chose over a shower at check-in.

I went to my meeting, later arriving back to the hotel to change my clothes just to go out again in less than an hour. During this time I checked the movie channels which were limited to Disney channel and two Finnish movie channels. If this is why I paid extra for the Superior Extra room, I have to say I can't recommend to go over standard.

The following morning the breakfast was great as it tends to be in all Scandics in Finland. The restaurant is new and modern as is the whole hotel and I'm sure no one will have anything to complain about this.

All in all Scandic Tampere Station is a very nice hotel. All hotels in Tampere are ridiculously expensive and having chosen the Superior extra room I paid 179e for the night which did not prove to be good value. I would recommend choosing the standard room or one of the better rooms in Scandic Tampere City (500m away on the other side of the train tracks) if they are better priced.

Room Tip: Go for standard, it's best value
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Topi S

Dear Topi S,

Thank you for choosing Scandic Tampere Station for your place to stay and writing a review.
We are happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us. Also the movies on deamand are included to the Superior Extra room, so there is more than those channels that you mentioned. I'm sorry we weren't clear enough to explain you that.

Sunny summer regards,