“Good restaurant in Tampere”
Review of Ravintola Astor

Ravintola Astor
Ranked #45 of 444 Restaurants in Tampere
Price range: US$14 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Astor is situated in the central of Tampere and offers quality food, professional service and relaxed atmosphere. We welcome families and groups of all size.You can enjoy live piano music every Friday and Saturday evening in the piano bar. Welcome !!
“Good restaurant in Tampere”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The food is good but expensiv and the dishes tiny. The place is not the best choice to be with friends. It is a little bit too dark inside. Good situated downtown.

• Visited May 2012

• Finnish first
Helsinki, Finland
“Location good, but food and service average only”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

The restaurant is conveniently situated in the heart of the centre and thus quite popular, although I wonder why. They've got piano music in the bar on Fridays and Saturdays, until 9 pm only. The food is average at best and too expensive. Their wine is uninteresting bulk. The staff is ignorant and incompetent.

• Visited February 2013
Tampere, Finland
“Good food - if you have the patience to wait for it to arrive”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We had a reservation for a group of about 20 people for a Saturday evening and, apparently, there was another large group reservation as well. First the staff had some trouble deciding where to seat us and finally decided to give us a cabinet that was not directly connected to the rest of the restaurant.

The cabinet was fine and we took our seats. Many of us were quite hungry already and looking forward to the food. However, it took ages before we even got the menus, let alone the food. I understand that everyone was very busy on a Saturday evening with full house but I would have expected the restaurant to be a bit better prepared for serving the two large groups and the other guests. Only after we had finally payed did the waiter mention that there's actually a bell in the cabinet for calling the waiter. Maybe that's kind of obvious but I hardly ever sit in the cabinet and therefore had no idea.

The service may have been slow but it was friendly enough. The food and desserts, on the other hand, were excellent, and I'm definitely willing to give the place another try some day.

• Visited February 2013
Nokia, Finland
“Not good value for the money, to my surprise”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I fully expected to be able to leave four or even five stars, as I knew Astor is a French gourmet-style food restaurant (read: tiny but delicious portions.).

However, the staff was unenthusiastic, our waitress kept on sniffling as if she had a bad head cold, and the food was avarage.

We ordered pepper steaks: I wanted my very well-done and hubby had his medium.

The waitress brought the bread basket: plain butter, so melted it was obvious it had been in room temperature for hours already, and store-bought bread. I had expected a nice spread and home-style bread or crispy baguette or something, you know?

The wait was not long, but I was disappointed in our food. First, there were almost no garnishes on the plate. It looked very, very plain. Then, my steak was well-done, huge applause for that, but the surface was almost charred. Sauce had been poured on it but you notice it when you take a bite.

I found the pepper sauce very blah, too.

The potato wedges were nice and crispy but I think a dip or something would have been nice.

We had difficulties getting the waitress´s attention when we wanted to pay and leave.

I will not return.

• Visited June 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“May, 2012”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed Astors. We dropped in for lunch one day and ended up returning 3 more evenings. The food and presentation was great and the atmosphere was just what we wanted - staff was friendly and efficient. We loved our stay in Tampere.

• Visited May 2012