Ruissalo Spa Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssea viewnumber busone night stayjacuzzirelaxationamenitiessterilekmbasin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our older son got married last Saturady in a wonderful Villa (Villa Marjaniemi) in Ruissalo. I reserved rooms in this hotel for me and my husband + 2 cats , our younger adult son, our German friend and the lady priest who flew from our home town extra to wed this couple.( If I had known the variable quality of the rooms and the lack of information flow in this hotel would have chosen the Radisson Marina hotel on the centre of Turku where my brother and his family + our mother stayed ... They were very happy with that hotel)
My husband and myself had to stay in a mini sweet because of our cats. It turned out to be the best room with air conditioning. Interesting though that we had only shampoo and hair conditioner in the bathroom - no soap or shower gel. Luckily we had brought it with us. I pointed this out the next morning and i was told to pick up a bottle from the sales shelf near the reception. Not a big problem, but shows that the room was not properly checked before we arrived.

I had reserved standard rooms four our son and our German guest, because I saw no big difference
between the standard room and standard plus room (based on the website text..but should have checked this beforehand of course) and knew that we all would not be spending much time in our rooms anyway. These 2 rooms had no air conditioning and were very hot. Both said that the bath tub was dirty. The rooms were old and you could see the age...( which of course is a fact). Our German guest had no hairdryer in the room. I told this in the next morning to the reception staff and the reply was that not all standard rome have a hairdryer, but the hairdryer was delivered that morning.

Our lady priest had the standard plus room which also had no air conditioning, but was luckily not in the direct sunshine...
The really annoying thing was the reception personnel: it seemed that there was always a new person who was unaware of the information which should have been in their computer system:examples I had reserved 4 rooms and it was clearly agreed that all rooms are charged to my room. One of the rooms was reserved later and just for 2 nights and the name was given to the hotel sales person who also confirmed this in an e-mail- still they seemed to be unaware of the name... I asked the first morning after arrival if we could keep our mini sweet until later on Sunday. yes, it is possible, but costs 20 euros extra and we have to remember to have our keycards updated before 12 on Sunday. Fine.On Sunday morning our German guest ( whom I had forgotten to say that we will pay for all rooms) was paying for her room, but I was there just in time to correct this. I said to the reception girl, that it should be clearly written in their computer that my room is paying for all these 4 rooms. Then she looked more carefully and found it. She should have seen it and also said to our German guest .
Then I said that I wanted to update our keycards, because it had been agreed that we can keep the mini sweet until 6 pm. Nobody was aware of this and I was asked when this was agreed and with whom! Luckily this was sorted out, our key cards updated and I paid for everything. However, in the afternoon when I was returning our key cards there was a new person (again) who said that I had not paid those 20 euros extra. The receipt from the morning had not differentiated any such sum, so I paid the 20 euros , but said that I found it very strange this had not been charged in the morning already... I walked to our car and was putting the receipts to my handbag, looked at the latest 20 euro receipt and saw a strange male name and address! I went back to the reception and pointed out that I was not this person and also showed the receipt from the rooms which I had got in the morning. " Oh Sorry, you have already paid this -I can see 20 euros extra in your room price". So I got my 20 euros back. In a Finnish hotel with the computer system you don't expect this kind of problems! The personnel was friendly but in a forced way and you had the feeling that you bother them too much (with the exception of this very nice and friendly man who checked in our German friend on Thursday evening late and even congratulated her for the german success in football ).
When we arrived on Thursday I asked that a taxi was ordered for Saturday for us that we will arrive to the wedding in the right time. The girl first said she doubted we could order the taxi already on Thursday , but of course it was possible ( the taxi centrals do have computer in Finland) and she did it, but she did not look very happy having this extra work. Then on Saturday morning I asked another person to order us a taxi for the night to bring us back to the hotel ( because taxis might be busy at 2 am in the Sat-Sun night). She dialled the number and gave the phone to me: " You better order it yourself". My husband and I were a bit surprised, but I ordered the taxi myself then.
These are small things, but small things add up and when you choose your hotel next time in Turku, you always consider your previous experiences. We have stayed in several hotels in Turku and until now were always happy. I think the hotel has a lack of information flow from sales to the reception and then in the reception between people. I just wonder why they have computer system...
I have been reading other reviews and I also agree that the breakfast was basic when compared to another old spa hotel (Peurunka).
Of course if one wants to stay in a 5 star hotel one has to reserve a room in such a hotel and not expect that kind of surroundings and service in an old basic spa hotel, but in Finland you do expect
certain basic things.

Room Tip: Make sure you have air conditioning - sometimes it is hot even in Finland!Double check everything and cheek that the name on the invoice is yours.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I, my friend and our two kids spent there a weekend in June 2014. We were happy with the pool area, although there were no special kids pool. there were plenty of possibilities for the kids to enjoy water. We were pretty much the youngest people on the house, but that was no problem for us - grannies were just happy to see kids (while I was apolozing their behavioiur). The rooms were dated but everyting worked ok. There were dust under the beds, so were all ended up with runny nose. Othervise the rooms and puclic premises were sufficiently clean.

Reception personnel was friendly, restaurant personnel tired with their job. It took 15 minutes to get a menu... also the food itself was a bit disappointment, salmon soup was excellent though! Breakfast was very basic, and not in a good way. Some things were tasty, but mostly it was not nothing special. The cakes and sandwiches at the lobby bar were really tasty though. Only thing was that it took over 20 minutes to get two glasses of wine and a salmon toast on the table.

The view to the sea is spectacular, also the whole island is a wonderful place to explore. There are also several cafe's along the road, Arboretum and golf course nearby to entertain yourself with.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura F
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

An old fashioned destination spa resort.
Most of this very busy establishment, is filled with its target audience- the elderly & infirm.
There are even nursing facilities right in the building.
Two tiers of room categories; regular & mini-suites. Both really noisy, but far worse in the regular {small, basic} room.
Zero soundproofing- I can even hear normal decibel conversations next door.
A nearly endless racket of banging & slamming.
In contrast, there are relaxing views of Baltic Sea {Archipelago} inlets.
A nice & lively, expansive lobby- but then again, room comfort is much more important to me.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank xerophytic
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed over weekend. The hotel was overall unclean everywhere, also rooms not cleaned well at all. In the spa area smelled bad. Very expensive cafe and restaurant services and very poor quality. Beautiful nature though but far from city centre, only good thing was bus connection to the city centre. Not worthwhile money at all. Not recommending for tourists at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WilmaWils
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at this hotel when we went to Ruisrock Festival. Inside it looked like a hospital. There was no classiness , it wasn't modern, it just had a hospital feel. The reception staff looked very unhappy to be there and were quite rude. There was no air conditioning in the room, so it was very hot. The scenery outside was of course beautiful, but our room had a view of a concrete tennis court so my advice would be try to get a room with a view of the lake. The food from the a la carte menu was not nice at all, we had a pizza that was more oil/grease than pizza. We left at 7am to get the first bus back to Helsinki from Turku, we couldn't wait to get out of there!

Room Tip: Get a room with views of the water
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple