“Almond Holiday Village - SIMPLY EXCELLENT!!”

Almond Holiday Village
London, United Kingdom
“Almond Holiday Village - SIMPLY EXCELLENT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHERE OR HOW TO START!!!
This Holiday Village is simply excellent.
This is my first stay at Almond after visiting Northern Cyprus for many many years and i am actually 'gutted' that I didn't hear about this lovely complex earlier. It is such a relaxed and tranquil place that I did not want to leave and wished I had booked 112 days and not only 12!
I stayed here with my wife and we couldn't get over the way all the staff simply go out their way to accommodate you however possible and that is IF something is needed outside of the standard quality service they already provide.
They are a family run business with over 20 years experience (I think) and all speak good English too.
The pool at the village was very clean and a great size.
The bungalow we stayed in was very nice and had all the essentials needed, air con, kettle, TV, fridge etc etc.
The rooms were cleaned daily and very professionally, I actually dropped a few pounds change under the dressing table without realising and when I returned to the room the money was neatly stacked on the dressing table (this shows the honesty of the staff, at first I thought they were tipping me - lol).
All the towels were changed daily.

THE FOOD!!!
The food was brilliant, the portions were more than adequate (for me anyway and believe me I can eat!)
The chef is what I call a CHEF! He was very very good and his presentation was good too.
We only ended up eating outside the village ONCE and that was for a friends birthday, because once we chose the first meal from a healthy menu ranging from Fresh Fish to Spaghetti we couldn't resist eating their every evening and also had lunch their too.
The prices on the menu are very reasonable and the portions are generous.
The have a lovely cactus garden a children's play area and even a pet ostrich to the rear of the citrus and medlar trees planted around the complex.

They have recently opened a sports lounge which showed the English Premiership and Championship matches which I was smiling about even if the wife wasn't!!

The resident family dog 'lucky' was very lucky to be in a family like the owners and he was also looked after fantastically.

They also rent cars too which allows you to have a one stop shop once you get their!

To sum this up and I could go on even more - I will not be staying anywhere else when I return to Northern Cyprus hopefully in September this year.

Thanks Almond for making our holiday perfect and thanks for the surprise Birthday Cake to which even had a personal message on it for me, that shows that the cake was even ordered especially in and not just off the shelf.

Az.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Az_Fats

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed in a bungalow for 3 weeks in September 2011. This was our fourth visit to the Almond. We'll be going back in September this year again for 3 weeks and I cannot wait! I'm counting down the days!. I cannot think of anything negative to say. It's such a fantastic place to stay if you want a nice chilled out holiday. The bungalows are spotless, its the cleanest pool I've swam in, the food is excellent, everything is so nice. Ali, his family and all the staff do everything possible to make you feel welcome and to ensure that you enjoy your stay. They can't do enough for you. I would 100% recommend The Almond to anybody.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Danny M
birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Northern Cyprus and we were delighted we had chosen such a gem of a hotel as Almond Village. Probably the first time in all our years of travelling (we are very mature) that we had no complaints what so ever!!! We can only reiterate what other reviewers have said we were made to feel so welcome by the family and staff and nothing was ever too much trouble. Even to finding my husband a walking stick when he took a 'tumble' !! Thank you all. We would happily recommend the Hotel to anyone.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank BirminghamSpicer
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I could not have been made more welcome by the family and staff during this one night stay on our return visit, simply fantastic.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank overend94
BEDFORD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We booked a 10 day stay at the Almond Holiday Village, after reading favourable reports on Tripadvisor. Though we arrived at 1am, Ali was there waiting for us. When we came down for breakfast, Ali and his family were already busy. Throughout our stay, we were amazed at the hours Ali, his family and the staff put in to ensure we had the best possible stay.
We hired from the hotel a Hyundai I20 automatic. This was almost new and spotless inside and out. We explored far and wide without any problems with the car, though our map reading may have left a little to be desired at times!
Almond Holiday Village is a modern development of houses, described as bungalows, though they had a mezzanine upper sleeping area. We elected to stay in the main hotel building, at the same cost, to save having to go downstairs to the toilet in the night. I'm that age you see! Our room was bright and comfortable, with air conditioning and heating. Glazed doors opened onto a small balcony with, as described, distant sea views. The complex was built around a reasonably sized swimming pool, with sufficient sun loungers for the numbers during our stay. There was a covered eating area at one end where meals and snacks were available during the day. Adjacent to this was a bar, with seating areas, covered in eastern looking cushions, which we found to be ideal to chill out in, while having a coffee. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful at all times, offering assistance and advice, without being overpowering.
We had dinner in the hotel one two occasions and found the food well presented and tasty, however, the breakfasts weren't quite so appealing. I had an omelette which was burnt. After that I stuck with scrambled or poached to be on the safe side.
There are many options for eating out. We tried the Veni Vici restaurant about 1/2 mile away and were so impressed by the food and service, we ate there most nights.
The Almond is an ideal place just to chill out, or use as a base for exploring Northern Cyprus. There are no obvious places to get to the sea and we found where there was access, it was rocky. If you want sand and sea, you need to hire a car to get to it. The countryside in Northern Cyprus is delightful and largely empty, but divided by a range of mountains. One the seaward side is where most of the towns and development has/is taking place, whilst the other side is a vast plain, with odd villages until you reach the border with Greek Southern Cyprus. There are many historic sites to visit ranging from Roman ruins to the Peace Memorial & Museum relating to the 1974 Turkish military operation.
Visitors to the island will find much development of coastal land for holiday homes, with many developments part finished or abandoned. Though the current economic climate has affected sales, there is also issues regarding land rights, which have made would be purchasers wary.
Northern Cyprus is a haven for British ex-pats who enjoy the relaxed way of life, climate and social activities. The Almond's Sports Bar being a magnet to ex-pats, particularly when there is live music, discos and football on the big screen TV. As the Sports Bar is below ground, there is no noise nuisance to guests who don't wish to participate.
Thanks again to Ali, his family and Lilly, their hard working waitress for an enjoyable escape from the cold and rain of home.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Banupa
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The first thing to remember is that this place doesn't pretend to be anything more than a 3 star hotel. The fact is that it is infinitely better than most 4 star establishments in the Med and surrounding parts of the world. The accommodation isn't luxurious but neither is the price. It is, however, spotlessly clean and well-appointed. There is a swimming pool, bar and outside restaurant and also a restaurant in the main building. Breakfast is good and the food in the restaurant at dinner is really, really good. The staff took great enjoyment from serving my young son a cooked breakfast with the garnish arranged as a funny face which made him laugh each morning. Cooked to order, very tasty and prepared with care. Faultless actually, and I am fussy. It may seem odd to comment on lavatories at the same time as the restaurant but I have to say that the loos adjacent to the restaurant should win the "cleanest loo I have ever seen" award.

The place is run by a family who take a real interest in their guests. They have lived in London so you get to hear conversations that move from London accented English into Turkish and back again. They know their guests by name and make a real effort to make you feel welcome and appreciated.

I'd suggest taking advantage of the the airport pick up service they offer as it is fast and reliable.

There is free wifi in reception and the biggest TV you've ever seen with every satellite channel known to man.

A car is really useful if you stay there and they have a number of cars you can rent. Not new or flashy but well-maintained, clean, reliable and inexpensive. There are plenty of shops, beaches, restaurants and other facilities within easy reach and driving in Northern Cyprus, whilst occasionally haphazard, is pretty straightforward and locals have a way of getting to where they need to go whilst acknowledging other drivers.

If you've been to the Southern part of Cyprus you should visit the North as well. It's quieter, less developed, cheaper and more friendly. It's also stunningly beautiful. Girne/Kyrenia is a very nice town with plenty of historical attractions and a pretty harbour. The sea fishing is good and it's not overly expensive to hire a guy with a good fishing boat. Trips and excursions can be arranged by the Almond and they only use people you can trust.

I think this place is really good.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank gribblewok
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We first stayed here in Oct 2010 and went back in Oct 2011 and are about to book again for 2012! If you want a relaxing break in spotless rooms with good food and wonderful staff stay here! It doesn't try to be anything it's not, it does what it says perfectly and this family run hotel really makes you feel like you are staying with friends! Our only criticism is that the pool is far too cold to swim in (in Oct) but it didn't spoil our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotel Pia Bella
#3 of 30 in Kyrenia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,063 reviews
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hotel
Denizkizi & Denizkizi Royal Hote...
#2 of 8 in Alsancak - Karavas
Lapida Hotel
Lapida Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lapta
Kyrenia Palace Boutique Hotel
LA Hotel & Resort
LA Hotel & Resort
#3 of 7 in Lapta

Been to Almond Holiday Village? Share your experiences!