All reviews free beer the kitchen private room burger and beer free sauna welcome drink bar downstairs gull beer clean toilets bed dorm place to stay the main street top floor nice atmosphere located right recommend staying here perfect location
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere in the lounge area where you can meet other travellers and there is wifi so you can make plans (although it can be a little slow). Also, you get a free drink card which is a really lovely touch. Room was large and light, as were the bathrooms. Showers were downstairs and you had to walk past the communal area to go back to your room which wasn't ideal.

Lovely staff who were more than willing to help. Location was okay in regards to the city centre and old town. Beware that the airport looks deceivingly close on a map! Clean, pleasant and fun.

Enjoyed my stay here and would definitely recommend visiting to my friends!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank katiebee93
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The hostel is in a great location, clean and has good facilities. The staff are helpful but I wouldn't say particularly warm. Apart from one very friendly girl. My main issue is that it was quite hard to meet people as the only communal area is the kitchen - which is a bit cold
To hang around in as the upstairs is more of a cafe, with locals and wifi users dotted about. Also there were MANY empty rooms as it was low season however they put single
Travellers in separate rooms (I met two girls both in empty dorms) but then put large groups in with them.. Rather than putting the singles together and the groups in another. But odd. Kitchen is good bathrooms are clean and the general design of the building is lovely!

• Stayed: March 2014
Geir G, Manager at Akureyri Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Hi MD and thank you for reviewing Akureyri Backpackers.
I cannot be sure when you stayed with us but as far as I can see you were booked in eight bedded dormitory and stayed with us for few days. On your arrival date the hostel was almost fully booked apart from the room you stayed in and five beds in a six bedded dormitory. The day before your arrival the hostel was almost fully booked.
In the hostel there are 16 beds in eight bed rooms and this was actually the only bed you could have booked for the time you stayed. If travellers book a six bedded dorm at the hostel we cannot place them in an eight bedded dormitory. It would be quiet difficult for us to pair people coming to the hostel but we do our best to meet our customer’s wishes if it is possible.
I hope this explains it a little and we hope to see you again.
Best regards from Akureyri
Geir, manager

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Very cozy place to stay! The staff was super helpful, making calls for us in Icelandic. There is food and drink served downstairs in a comfy hangout atmosphere, where you can meet other backpackers. Beds are comfortable, the shower is all the way downstairs, but not too bad. And you get a free beer at check in. Bring a sleeping bag though, you get charged extra for blankets.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms are cold, showers are in the basement, long run from the forth floor. The girl that checked us was nice that was the best part of the service.. When we came back on saturday night to go bed we got the welcome of "we are closed" and we said well we are staying here. If the standard isint high this is the right place to be, also the checkout time is at 10:00. I cant recomend this place.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank OnAir522668
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The Akureyri Backpackers was a beautiful hostel. Incredibly clean and well accommodating. They had a sauna in the basement which was a great way to warm up after a long day out along with a large shower facility. I stayed in the cheapest dorm (8 people) and since this was the off season there were only 4 people in our room. It was a wonderful value and right in the heart of Akureyri. If I went back to Iceland I would definitely hit it up.

• Stayed: March 2013