“Loud noises and owner refuses to do anything about it”
Review of Sulur Gistiheimili

Sulur Gistiheimili
Sulur Gistiheimili
Ranked #21 of 30 Akureyri B&B and Inns
Cincinnati
“Loud noises and owner refuses to do anything about it”
Reviewed 4 December 2007

During my vacation in Iceland I booked a single room for one night at the guesthouse “Sulur Gistiheimili” in Akureyri in the afternoon of 06/14/07.
I had driven about five hours from the south of Iceland to Akureyri, a town in the north. I was then very tired and therefore booked the abovementioned room to spend the night there.
At about 11pm that night other guests arrived, obviously youngsters on a drinking spree. They occupied the room below mine and kept making loud noises (beer bottles, and the loud laughs the way drunks utter them). I was unable to sleep in this guesthouse. When I accidentally discovered that some other youngsters outside were urinating against my rental car that was parked on the guesthouse’s premises, I went to the owner and complained with him about the noise and the vandalism.
The owner refused to do anything about the problems whereupon I told him that I wished to leave because of these disturbances. I also told him to undo the credit card charge because I would not be willing to pay so much money (US$82) for a sleepless night and a defiled car. The owner just finally remarked: “Don’t you have parties in the country where you are from?” That was all he would do for me. I told him that I would now leave and that he should not charge me the money for this abominable stay. The owner muttered something unintelligible and left. He was highly uncooperative and was obviously not interested in reproaching his noisy guests. I then left the guesthouse at about 2am in the morning of June 15 and was lucky to find another guesthouse in Reykjavik where I could stay (after having driven back to Reykjavik for nearly five hours)
After my trip, I contacted the guesthouse via email in a nice way on many occasions and even from different email accounts to recover my money. They NEVER EVER responded. While I loved other parts of my stay in Iceland, the night at Sulur Gistiheimili was really, really awful. I can only recommend everybody to avoid this place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — owner did not care about my concerns and refused to help me
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank zampano888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)