“Horseriding disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ishestar Horse Riding Tours

Ishestar Horse Riding Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Ishestar Stables offers great facilities for riders. It’s set in beautiful surroundings just outside the town of Hafnarfjordur, about 10 minutes drive from Reykjavik. The facilities and its beautiful surroundings provide endless opportunities for riding, hiking, and other outdoor activities. We welcome individuals, families and all kinds of groups who want to enjoy themselves outdoors. The facilities offer people an easy way to enjoy our horses and the experience of our staff will ensure the safety of all our guests. The locker room of the Stables is well equipped. All customers are provided with warm overalls, rain gear, riding boots and helmets in all sizes. The Ishestar staff take pride in finding horses to suit individual needs as well as secure the safety of everybody. Ishestar offers daily riding tours at 10:00 and 14:00 during the whole year, both for beginners and advanced riders.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Guernsey, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Horseriding disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went riding as a family and have been to different stables in Iceland before, so fancied trying something different - sadly we won't be coming again. It was pouring with rain and so we expected to be given waterproof tops and bottoms, especially since the guide was wearing them - no, so at the end, we were all soaked, which was a bit miserable, as the ride was to be followed by a VIking Dinner in Hafnafjordur. Felt very much like a tourist trip with numbers being sluiced through and no real feeling or enjoyment to the whole thing. A bit soulless, which we have not experienced in Iceland before - other stables are a whole lot better.

1 Thank Natascha C
ishestar, Manager at Ishestar Horse Riding Tours, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi Natascha, thank you for taking the time to comment on your tour.

I am sorry you did not take the rain gear that we offer to ALL of our guests. In order to get to the stables, you have to walk through our dressing room to get helmets and the walls are filled with bright orange rain gear.

This summer has been very wet in Iceland, so we are very diligent about telling our guests that they can borrow rain gear, free of charge. Of course we do not force anyone to wear it, but it is offered to everyone.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel well taken care of, I have talked to the guides that were on the tour, as well as my office staff and they said that of course you had been wet when you came back, but you had otherwise been happy with the tour?

Best regards,
Silja Birgisdóttir

• Hungarian first
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked the Viking Tour, which included a short morning ride with the beginners. I would skip that next time, but I imagine that this is the testing ground for the stable to ensure that you are a safe rider (understandable). The horses are great, and I love the Tolt. So fun.

Our group was small for the faster & loger part of the ride. Our guide was lovely!

The gear provided (Pants, jackets, boots & helmuts) was MOST appreciated, as it was a little rainy and cool. I was snug as a bug in a rug though!

I will certainly ride here again on my next trip to Iceland, and maybe go on a 2 or 3 day trek.

1 Thank TXTRVLR57
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Viking tour for experienced riders”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Was very well organised with lovely guides. Lunch was good. Ride was enjoyable. I am an experienced rider and it was not boring at all. Fantastic landscape and very well behaved horses. Thank you!

Halifax, Canada
“Fall in love with the Icelandic horse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Íshestar provided fantastic service, and the tour was absolutely excellent. The guides were very friendly, and suggestions were made calmly and kindly. This was my first experience with the Icelandic horse, and I fell in love with them. Highly recommended

Buena Vista, Colorado
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great Viking trek - breathtaking scenery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I signed up for the intermediate/advanced Viking ride and was a little worried since I haven't ridden in a couple of years. I was picked up from my Reykjavik apartment and was so pleased to see how nice the Ishestar facility was! Very beautiful and friendly staff everywhere. I spent some time looking at the horses and was comfortable hanging out until my ride was ready.

I got a great horse and since it was the experienced ride we just kind of took off! We got to go into Helgafell and it was beautiful!! We galloped up hills and had a pretty crazy (fun) ride through every terrain you could think of. Since I had experience with many different kinds of horses in the past I was able to keep up but I would definitely tell beginners to do only the hour long tour.

Our guide was very friendly and answered any questions I had and helped me make sure I was tolting correctly (the Icelandic gait). Overall, I'm so glad I made time to horseback ride with Ishestar while in Iceland!

1 Thank Caroline C