“Mr Brando saves the day!”
Review of Vatnajokull Travel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vatnajokull Travel
Ranked #13 of 14 Tours in Hofn
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I happened to be in great need for transportation from Hofn and contacted Gudbrandur (a.k.a Brando) at Vatnajokull Travel. He set me up with a car for a very reasonable price and the transaction was an absolute delight.

I give Vatnajokull Travel (and Mr Brando) my very, very best recommendation! Should you be in any need for a rental car, this is the place to go.

1  Thank AGJ34

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Counting them as one, Vatnajokull and Jokulsarlon are now in my top two favorite places in Iceland--and I love ALL of Iceland! I had to change my round-trip Reykjavik-Hofn booking because of a conflict and Brando didn't hesitate or impose any penalties. I was so surprised when I was met at Hofn airport and found out I was the only person on the excursion. Brando had called in a substitute guide, Erik, who was wonderful. He was knowledgeable, attentive and very patient with my millions of questions. Jokulsarlon, the iceberg lagoon, is indescribably beautiful. Francisco, the guide on the boat tour around the lagoon, was informative and friendly. I admire guides who do the same thing hour after hour and retain their humor and patience. Back to Vatnajokull Travel: Our car broke down on the 16km drive up to the glacier, Brando came to the rescue within 20 minutes or so. It was a gorgeous day, so lounging on a rock and admiring the view was just fine. At the top of Vatnajokull, I was lucky to be in a tiny group for Ski-Doo riding, just me, the guide and another couple. I felt sorry for the people in long lines of skimobiles trailing each other in circles as we flew over the snow on a clear day with pristine snow. Because I was alone, Erik drove me back to Hofn in time to grab a lobster dinner before my flight. Heavenly day!

2  Thank Deane144
Reviewed 16 May 2013

When we arrived in Hofn, it quickly became apparent that we had booked an unsuitable tour, as the booking agent (Nordic visitor) had provided little information, and we felt misled by the suitability of the tour for families. Vatnajokull staff quickly responded to our concerns, and were at all times considerate and helpful, trying to rearrange our day. When travelling in Iceland, you have to accept that there is a small, mostly rural population, and that tour choices are limited.
A driver was called early to transfer us to the glacier lagoon which was spectacular, and then drove our family of four around to other sites to that had not been in the scheduled program to give us some family friendly alternatives. The kids enjoyed icecream made on site at a dairy at the base of the glacier then took us to a petting zoo where we were introduced to Viking sheep, Peking ducks, and various other farm animals.
We finished the day with a wonderful meal at a local lobster restaurant, and everyone was happy thanks to the efforts of Vatnajokull travel.

3  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 28 December 2012

If you come to iceland, you have to visit Vatnajokull Region or Vatna Glacier (Fly to Hofn from Reykjavik). I had a very great time at Hofn especially at Vatnajokull area. I take so many picture, so I will always remember how exotic is Vatnajokull Area. Thanks to Mr. Brando from Vatnajokull travel, a very nice man and He knows everything about this place. Vatnajokull travel knows the best spot. Mr. Brando took us to several places, the most exotic one and I took hundreds of beautiful picture.. Vatnajokull Travel also took us to ATV activity, this one was also amazing.. the view was stunning! its a Wow. I came to Hoffellsjokull area with an ATV. I also took so many wonderful pic there. Well, noted that never missed the Vatnajokull Region. Because this place is one of the most amazing place in Iceland, or maybe in the world in my opinion. Call the Vatnajokull Travel, they know the best spot.

2  Thank mrcellasts
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We took the trip that allowed us to skidoo on the glacier and then take a trip on th iceberg lagoon. It was a truly remarkable experience to see the natural wonder of the the world. Our guide was fabulous too. He filled us in on lots of information about the area and encouraged us to ask questions about Icelandic culture and life. It was really great to get a chance to talk about the things you don't read in books with a local. My husband and I both thought this was a great day and one you can't miss!

2  Thank Stephanie W