“Really helpful, good value, friendly”
Review of Vatnajokull Travel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vatnajokull Travel
Ranked #13 of 14 Tours in Hofn
Reviewed 16 March 2015

Godbrandur and his team were very helpful, I was taken on a "guided tour" of the region, then hired a car to explore some more. It was a real treat to be given some "insider knowledge" of the area, and I would return to Hofn again just to experience this warm helpful experience. well done to everyone

2  Thank Brendan Q

Reviewed 11 February 2015

I phoned Vatnajokull Travel because I was trying to book a Northern Lights excursion from Reykjavik, but was not succeeding through the website. I didn't realise it at the time, but this is booked through Eagle Air's booking system, which, in turn, only accepts bookings if 2 or more travellers book. Brando answered the phone, and while I was ultimately unable to book the package, I mentioned that I would probably book flight and hotel separately.

The next day, Brando met me at the airport, which surprised me - when I had spoken with him, I was still not 100% certain I'd book. He drove me to Hofn, briefly showed me the town, and took me to his office to see how he could assist me. I didn't book a glacier tour, as it would have been outside my budget (as a solo traveller, off-season) to have a private tour. He then phoned his friend (The Aurora Photo Guide: Runólfur Hauksson) to see if he was offering aurora tours that night - but Ronnie had broken his ribs just the night before and was recuperating. He did, however, give me Ronnie's phone number so I could call him at any time if I wanted advice for taking photos of the Northern Lights, which can be quite tricky, especially if you aren't used to operating your camera's manual settings. Then, Brando drove me to the hotel.

Throughout all this, Brando never asked for money. When I gave him a token of thanks after he had dropped me off at the hotel, he seemed almost a bit embarrassed about my payment. Even though I did not book the package deal (being unable to do so for a single person), he helped me because he thought that I was probably coming to Hofn based on a phone call the night before. He did not put pressure on me to book anything, which was a positive surprise.

Brando runs the travel agency, the local Hertz rent-a-car dealership and the garage fixing cars in Hofn - it is one of those small towns where people might have several different jobs / roles in their community (and the travel agency and rent-a-car office are inside the garage). Brando was super helpful, so if you are planning to visit Hofn / the Glacier / this part of Iceland, I can only recommend him. (And if you do plan on chasing the aurora near Hofn, get in touch with "Ronnie the Aurora Photo Guide": Google him, or ask Brando / Vatnajokull Travel to put you in touch with him)

3  Thank Federhirn
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We did the activity adventure flying in from Reykjavik. Brando handled every detail and took really good care of us. We had a great time and highly recommend vatnajokull travel and especially Brando.

3  Thank Dianne T
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I happened to be in great need for transportation from Hofn and contacted Gudbrandur (a.k.a Brando) at Vatnajokull Travel. He set me up with a car for a very reasonable price and the transaction was an absolute delight.

I give Vatnajokull Travel (and Mr Brando) my very, very best recommendation! Should you be in any need for a rental car, this is the place to go.

1  Thank AGJ34
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Counting them as one, Vatnajokull and Jokulsarlon are now in my top two favorite places in Iceland--and I love ALL of Iceland! I had to change my round-trip Reykjavik-Hofn booking because of a conflict and Brando didn't hesitate or impose any penalties. I was so surprised when I was met at Hofn airport and found out I was the only person on the excursion. Brando had called in a substitute guide, Erik, who was wonderful. He was knowledgeable, attentive and very patient with my millions of questions. Jokulsarlon, the iceberg lagoon, is indescribably beautiful. Francisco, the guide on the boat tour around the lagoon, was informative and friendly. I admire guides who do the same thing hour after hour and retain their humor and patience. Back to Vatnajokull Travel: Our car broke down on the 16km drive up to the glacier, Brando came to the rescue within 20 minutes or so. It was a gorgeous day, so lounging on a rock and admiring the view was just fine. At the top of Vatnajokull, I was lucky to be in a tiny group for Ski-Doo riding, just me, the guide and another couple. I felt sorry for the people in long lines of skimobiles trailing each other in circles as we flew over the snow on a clear day with pristine snow. Because I was alone, Erik drove me back to Hofn in time to grab a lobster dinner before my flight. Heavenly day!

2  Thank Deane144