“Just wonderful”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hofn B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Just wonderful”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very clean, easy to find, two spacious and well-equipped common rooms with all the amenities (refrig, sink, big tables, full dishes, glasses, silverware, cooking implements, and free hot tasty coffee machine). As nice as the facilities are, the host and hostess are the best... they answered every question, recommended good tours, and solved every problem we had. We stayed in a half dozen county guest houses on our tour of southern Iceland, and this one was clearly the most accommodating. We also found the burgers at the nearby Kaffi Hornid were a nice choice for dinner. Oh, the 2nd floor rooms are closer to the common areas, so a better choice if available.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are closer to the common areas.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was a bit taken in when i saw so many dogs and cats around welcoming us. I though i was going to stay with them (not that im not an animal lover but its really far too many animals),they meant no harm but well my friend lost her mobile at the glacier lake and she desperately needs to go back and search for it in the dark hence i guess it was a bad night stay for her. The host was really friendly.The exterior of the building wasnt inpressive as its just a grey building to us with small signage.We are staying at the 2nd level hence it was quite and cosy. No cooking utensils there except for the boiling water and coffee machine. The room was nice and cosy. Shower was simple and clean. I like the painted arts on the wall, there are all so beautiful drawn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PEili K
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I've read these reviews and yes, the place does need a little renovation but appears to be 'a work in progress'. My reasons for thinking this is the owner greeting us outside on arrival and showing us around the place and also taking the time out to give us a map and show us spots on the map with places of interest etc etc....and this was done with enthusiasm. Communal area with free coffee (good coffee too). Thanks for a nice stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 24 April 2014

After a few days in Reykjavik, the quiet, gorgeous coastal town of Hofn and Hafnarnes were very welcoming.

The guesthouse is situated on a beautiful little hill, surrounded by mountains, glaciers, and the ocean. Nina was very welcoming and presented me with a sweet, bright and quiet room that had beautiful ocean and mountain views. It was beyond peaceful. She also showed me nearby sights and activities.

The kitchen is available for guest use, as is the cozy living room.

It was a very peaceful retreat and I was sad to have to leave after only two days.

Thank you again for your kind hospitality Nina! I hope to return again in the future :)

Room Tip: If you're traveling alone, try and get the solo bedroom in the corner on the upper floor. The oc...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for just one night during a photography trip in March 2014. They are currently renovating the place and so only part of it was open. It still had a massive public area, with limited kitchen facilities and free tea and coffee. Wifi was fine in public areas but didn't work in my (small) room. Friendly staff greeted me me. It's a few km outside of Hofn, so you need a car, but that was fine for me (and also closer to the wonderful photography sites like Stokksnes nearby). It's on a farm with good views on each side and horses nearby. I spent ages deciding where to stay in Hofn and I'm happy with the decision I made to stay there - cheap and cheerful, but definitely not fancy. Only one bathroom at the moment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I booked online in May and called the night before our August stay to confirm, and it's good that I did, as Nina had not received my booking even though I got an emailed confirmation. But we got off to a great start when Nina found us the perfect room with three single beds.

Very friendly host and animals, lots of amenities in the common room - really anything you could want. And the walls are lined with lovely art.

Comfortable beds, it seemed quiet, although I was tired enough to sleep through anything. The bathroom to guest ratio was a little low for me, although maybe it was a factor of the long time the other guests were taking. Felt expensive for what it was (18,000 isk per person for a room with 3 twin beds and sharing the hall bathrooms.)

We did have trouble finding it, but Iceland directions tend towards the non-specific. Ask lots of specific questions. It's the first thing you see on the west side of the road heading to Hofn once you turn off Route 1.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DCKathryn
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Our room was quite small (by American standards) but this guest house had the best beds of anywhere on our trip. Impeccably clean, welcoming and homey, with cats, dogs and horses on the property and beautiful views. I had good luck meeting fellow travelers in the main room as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hofn
Fosshotel Vatnajokull
#2 of 19 in Hofn
Milk Factory
Milk Factory
#1 of 19 in Hofn

Been to Hafnarnes? Share your experiences!