“Comfortable view and splendid natural surroundings, but property could use a facelift” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hafnarnes

and 1 more site!
Hafnarnes
Ranked #7 of 19 Hofn B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This guesthouse is a decent option if you have your own car, as it is located a couple of kilometers outside of the center of town, about halfway to the Ring Road. Also, the natural surroundings - glaciers, mountains, the sea, green fields - are quite majestic and this property is right in the middle of it all. With that said, the property could use a bit of a facelift. Even though I was not expecting anything luxurious, my room could have used a paint job and a good scrub-down. Also, the Wifi did not reach my room and I had to go into the common area to use it. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning. My bed was quite comfortable and I slept well. When I woke up in the morning I saw the man running the guesthouse clearing away what looked to be a self-serve breakfast, that I had apparently just missed. Had I known, and neither my booking nor the man who checked me in told me about it, I would have gotten up just a bit earlier. I felt the price was fair overall.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were travelling around the south coast of Iceland and booking everything last minute based on where we had got to on the ring road route. We found Hafnarnes on a booking site in the morning and made a reservation very easily.Originally the reservation said check in between 2 and 6 and we weren't due to arrive until around 8 so a quick call to the owner and they confirmed a later check in was absolutely fine.

Hafnarnes is easy to find being 5 minutes off the main 1 Ringroad, signposted from the local road and locatable on googlemaps also. The guesthouse is down a short gravel driveway which leads to plenty of parking and lots of horses. The host met us at the door and was really friendly and welcoming. She showed us to our room, showed us the bathrooms, common room, where we could make a coffee etc. and was generally really nice.

The room we had was spotlessly clean with fresh towels and comfy beds. The bathroom were clean and simple with good showers. It was pretty warm in the room and the windows are quite small and I don't think the radiator was on but it wasn't unbearable.

We had a shared bathroom and it was a little crowded in the morning with everyone wanting to get up and off but we managed fine and weren't delayed. There is free wifi in the common room area also for those that need it as well as tea and coffee that you can help yourself to.

Hafnarnes is pretty much out in the open by itself - surrounded by horses and other animals - and whilst it doesn't look great from the outside, I was really impressed with it inside. Yes it's not the Hilton, but it was clean, comfy and good value compared to a lot of hotels and other guest houses in Iceland.

We didn't have breakfast as we had some supplies with us but I think it's about £5 or £6 per person. For dinner we drove 5 minutes into Hofn and ate at a fantastic restaurant there (Pakkhus - see my other review) which I'd definitely recommend.

Overall I would stay here again for somewhere that's good value, offers a good nights sleep and is on the main route round Iceland.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LionHeartedGirl
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very clean, easy to find, two spacious and well-equipped common rooms with all the amenities (refrig, sink, big tables, full dishes, glasses, silverware, cooking implements, and free hot tasty coffee machine). As nice as the facilities are, the host and hostess are the best... they answered every question, recommended good tours, and solved every problem we had. We stayed in a half dozen county guest houses on our tour of southern Iceland, and this one was clearly the most accommodating. We also found the burgers at the nearby Kaffi Hornid were a nice choice for dinner. Oh, the 2nd floor rooms are closer to the common areas, so a better choice if available.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are closer to the common areas.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was a bit taken in when i saw so many dogs and cats around welcoming us. I though i was going to stay with them (not that im not an animal lover but its really far too many animals),they meant no harm but well my friend lost her mobile at the glacier lake and she desperately needs to go back and search for it in the dark hence i guess it was a bad night stay for her. The host was really friendly.The exterior of the building wasnt inpressive as its just a grey building to us with small signage.We are staying at the 2nd level hence it was quite and cosy. No cooking utensils there except for the boiling water and coffee machine. The room was nice and cosy. Shower was simple and clean. I like the painted arts on the wall, there are all so beautiful drawn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PEili K
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I've read these reviews and yes, the place does need a little renovation but appears to be 'a work in progress'. My reasons for thinking this is the owner greeting us outside on arrival and showing us around the place and also taking the time out to give us a map and show us spots on the map with places of interest etc etc....and this was done with enthusiasm. Communal area with free coffee (good coffee too). Thanks for a nice stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

After a few days in Reykjavik, the quiet, gorgeous coastal town of Hofn and Hafnarnes were very welcoming.

The guesthouse is situated on a beautiful little hill, surrounded by mountains, glaciers, and the ocean. Nina was very welcoming and presented me with a sweet, bright and quiet room that had beautiful ocean and mountain views. It was beyond peaceful. She also showed me nearby sights and activities.

The kitchen is available for guest use, as is the cozy living room.

It was a very peaceful retreat and I was sad to have to leave after only two days.

Thank you again for your kind hospitality Nina! I hope to return again in the future :)

Room Tip: If you're traveling alone, try and get the solo bedroom in the corner on the upper floor. The oc...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stayed here for just one night during a photography trip in March 2014. They are currently renovating the place and so only part of it was open. It still had a massive public area, with limited kitchen facilities and free tea and coffee. Wifi was fine in public areas but didn't work in my (small) room. Friendly staff greeted me me. It's a few km outside of Hofn, so you need a car, but that was fine for me (and also closer to the wonderful photography sites like Stokksnes nearby). It's on a farm with good views on each side and horses nearby. I spent ages deciding where to stay in Hofn and I'm happy with the decision I made to stay there - cheap and cheerful, but definitely not fancy. Only one bathroom at the moment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hofn
Fosshotel Vatnajokull
#2 of 19 in Hofn
Milk Factory
Milk Factory
#1 of 19 in Hofn

Been to Hafnarnes? Share your experiences!