“Convenient location”
Review of Hotel Keilir

Hotel Keilir
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Keflavik
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We chose to stay at this hotel due to our flight leaving early the next day.
I had a single room and my parents had a double room.
Upon arrival the receptionist (middle-aged lady) was very cold on icelandic standards, and didn't seem too excited to answer my questions. She also didn't pay attention to us being 3 people and asked '2 couples?' i reminded her that we paid for 1 single and 1 double to which she said i was right. (plus the checking in took a long time even with no-one else checking in)
Neither of the rooms had the advertised minibar. In fact I tried plugging in the fridge, and left it for a couple of hours. As a result it got very hot on the outside and not cold inside. So I guess they were all broken.. but it's very much false advertising to say every room has one.. and at least two had broken ones! (i would have been glad to be able to cool down my drinks) I had the sea view, but the window didn't close properly, (the top latch was bent and stuck between the window) which resulted in all the noise coming in along with a constant draft. I guess this would be a bigger problem in the winter. As an added bonus some idiots made noise at midnight outside. I was not too happy about that. I wouldn't rave about the 'satellite tv' either = 5 bad channels.
The bathroom amenities were a joke: there was a handtowel and a bathtowel but no bathmat. There was handsoap and a tiny bag of shampoo, nothing else. Luckily I had my own. In the corridor there was a flickering light. The hotel has narrow stairs and no lift = do not stay here if you have problems with stairs. The room itself was clean though, and had the window been in working order, I would have slept well in the room I had. (bed was very good)

Room Tip: Do not pick room #209 unless they've fixed the window!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed here for 4 days when working in iceland. The room was good with brilliant view of sea. The breakfast was very good each morning serving from 5am. The staff were very nice and gave me great help on places to go and things to see. I highly recommend staying at this hotel and hope to come back soon. It has been a pleasure to get to know the family that own and run the hotel, they are doing a great job.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank DerekForsyth
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Basic accommodations, late check out is a bonus. No luggage storage, breakfast ends at 9am (too early). Nice view from room of fjord, terrible cooked crab smell from local factory early. Rooms are better than hotel looks. Outdated tv but ok for a nite.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Unfortunately, we ended up in this hotel due an overbooking situation at Hotel Keflavik. Hotel looks closed from the outside. Reception staff not particularly friendly. No lift so had to drag luggage up several flights of stairs. Rooms basic but clean. Located in the centre of town which felt good until the var across the road started the music and party goers flooded onto the street to drink, chat and generally make a lot of noise. This continued until 4am which meant I had no sleep on my last night in Iceland before our flight back to England. Breakfast was the poorest I experienced during my trip. Our room was on the street side of the hotel so the noise problem may not be the same on the sea side or on a weekday evening.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the street side of this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janembaldwin
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Spent the night at the Keiler as stopover. Perfect for that - clean, good breakfast, shower. Pretty basic room and seemingly endless booking in (at midnight!!)

good for stopover but not long stay

It is very close to the airport - easy taxi ride. right at the centre of the small town keflavik

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We (a family of four) ended up staying at the Hotel Keilir on both ends of our Italian vacation. The owners of this family run hotel went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport and right in the heart of the small town of Keflavik with easy walking to all sights in town and to the beach. It is clean and fresh with a lovely breakfast. If we find ourselves in Iceland again, we will certainly stay here!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 4ofusseattle
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This was a hidden gem on our last couple of nights in Iceland. It's a family own hotel that goes beyond their way to make your trip memorable. I wanted to explore around and the owner suggested I ride a bike and made all rental arrangements for me. Did the same for my friend who decided to rent a car. Always courteous and helpful. Location is perfect. They personally drive you to airport!

• Stayed: June 2013