“Delightful”

Matarkjallarinn - Foodcellar
Ranked #10 of 545 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$29 - US$93
Description: The Food Cellar is a Grill & Cocktail bar situated in an 160 year old building in the center of Reykjavík. We like to think that Food is for your body and music is for your soul. Brasserie is the style of food, focusing on icelandic finest ingredients. The bar has good selection of fine cocktails put together by our outstanding bartenders.
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Delicious food, good choice of menu, enjoyed the ambience including the pianist. Staff were friendly and helpful, a good experience.

Reviewed 13 January 2017

Superb, elegant, yet casual atmosphere of impeccable service to some of the best food I have ever had. Great wine list, fabulous drinks choice. Never to be forgotten.

Reviewed 13 January 2017

This was our choice for New Years Eve dinner, and we were not mistaken. We enjoyed the evening very much and had such a great meal. They had a set menu meal. We loved that food just kept coming and we ordered some drinks. Toasted with the neighbouring tables! This and along with Fishmarket was are top two restaurant choices!
We will be back in the summer :)

Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I ate here 12th Jan 2017. We had the surf and turf set menu and the food was outstanding! Slow cooked cod with crispy lamb for starters, surf and turf(lamb, pork, steak, langoustine) was mouth-wateringly tasty served with baby roast potatoes and dessert was lion bar-chocolate, hot caramel, nuts and raspberry sorbet, delicious! Would definitely recommend the place. Great atmosphere, guy playing modern songs on a piano classically, mood lighting etc.
Only minor negative was around portion control, my starter was quite large with 3 pieces of fish, hubby only got one bit! Different amounts of potatoes served to each of us. As I said it was minor, not worth complaining about as we just shared it more equally at the table and the portions are quite large anyway for fine dining, to be honest so didn't affect us.

2  Thank joredders16
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went here for our last night in iceland and it was absolutely perfect. Our cocktails were delicious and the bread in the beginning was so yummy - fruit and nut with cream cheese spread. I ordered the chicken, I don't normally order meat in a restaurant but I had a feeling it would be amazing here and I wasn't disappointed. My boyfriend ordered the surf n'turf set menu and he was so engrossed in its deliciousness we barely said a word until we finished eating - very unlike us! A must-go before you leave reykjavik!