All reviewsshared bathroombreadgreat locationthe bussmall wardrobebudget accommodationfamous churchmain churchhambreakfast was includedguest houseseparate bedsminute walknice breakfastcity centretea and coffeedouble room
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I spent 4 nights at the Aurora and I can easily recommend it to everyone. The place is 5 mins walking from the centre and 10 from the main coach station. The manager is helpful and very welcoming. The room was clean and so the bathroom. No problems there. We were on the second floor (room 33) and we have a beautiful view of Reykjavik and the sea beyond it. Breakfast was plentiful and good: many types of fresh bread, toast, jam, chocolate, marmalade. ... cheese, ham, eggs, salad. ... the kitchen was open till late at night so we could eat in there.
The only downside (for my husband) no tv and coffee facilities in the room.
Lovely place, I would surely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at this charming and friendly guesthouse for a total of 10 days. They were broken days and the owner was so accommodating to this broken stay. It is a popular place to stay, and it always seems to have larger groups staying there. It is right in the 'Old Reykjavik' area, and close to everything it would seem.

Hallgrimskjirku is very close a few minutes walk, and parts of the guesthouse are in the same street. Loki's café is also in the same area. This is a good place to eat, and you will be able to enjoy the shark or not :-)

The guesthouse is clean, neat and comfortable, and the private bathroom was of a good size. The room had twin beds, a small wardrobe, with baskets, and a working desk. Siggi brought me a lamp, which was good for my work.

My room was not actually in the main part of the house, but over the road in another building. It had an unusual key locking system of three keys. I had a private bathroom, and the opportunity to share a kitchen, which had a fridge, stove all the necessary to cook a meal if wanted. It did not have a jug or kettle to boil water for coffee, so I asked for one. The owner provided one for me and told how people decide to boil milk in the jug/kettle, and that makes them useless for coffee. But he came with a new one, and as I was staying in a lot to write, I was able to make a coffee, and get straight back to work. I appreciated him so well,.

This very pretty guesthouse will not be for everyone. If you are a person who wants to be pampered with large screen TV'S, phones in your room, chocolates on your pillow, and wake up calls, then don't book here, you will not be happy. However if your need is for an honest, open charming host with integrity who will go out of his way to help you, then this place is for you.
Breakfast is excellent and keeps up the Icelandic tradition, of warm breads and rolls, cheese, ham hard boiled eggs, and conserves with coffee juices, and tea. On the last day of my stay Siggi produced some of Iceland's rye bread, of the soft variety. I had eaten this around Iceland, and at Loki's. It is so delicious, one just has to try it. It does have a little sweetness about it.

The biggest problem here, if it is actually a problem is the breakfast room. It is very small, and also acts as reception,. So there were times when people were checking out or in, and at the same time they were trying to serve breakfast, and also trying to get information from the delightful Siggi the owner about tours they might be doing , and all at the same time. I felt compassion for Siggi, he works so hard. There was one thing that did annoy me, and that was the rudeness of some people, as they pushed and shoved in their attempts to get food. Then they stood at the bench buttering bread holding onto the butter knife as if it might get away from them if they did not. Why could they not use the knife to put the spread on their bread, and take it to the table and complete the buttering there. But no, it had to be done of the bar, there bye holding up the works, and everyone else.

There came a time when I was taking a side tour of Greenland. Siggi offered to take me to the Reykjavik Airport in his car, I accepted his kind offer. Then when I returned to Reykjavik/Iceland from Greenland, I walked out of the airport toward a taxi, and a car pulled up in front of me, Siggi had returned to pick me up. I was overwhelmed by his kindness and interest.. Always ready and willing to advise. Thank you Siggi, I appreciated you. What a lovely man you are

Now for some be aware that not all rooms have an ensuite, some rooms share a bathroom. So if this is a problem, then you will need to state your requirements. Don't turn up here and expect it all, to be right.
Just enjoy, Iceland is amazing, I should know I have been there 4 times now - and still counting

Room Tip: If you require a private bathroom, make sure you ask for that, also to avoid the crowds at breakfast either go early or go late. That way you will have your table
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aussiegrannie
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My roommate and I were quite pleased with the convience and cleanliness of this guesthouse. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast with homemade bread and found the manager to be very helpful and accomodating. We were able to take in the sights of the town center by walking. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at this Guesthouse as the place I had originally booked was overbooked so they organised for me to stay here. It is a nice guesthouse with decent sized rooms and very comfortable beds. The bathrooms (separate) were very clean and the shower had good pressure. There are kitchens that can be used and have all of the normal facilities. There is free wifi available in all rooms and was a good speed. Breakfast is included and has a large range of breads, cereals, drinks, etc. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2013

we stayed here with two triple rooms the first day of our trip and our last. The first night was in teh newer section around the corner- very nice, shared bathroom with two other rooms but had a nice kitchen area to 'spread out' a bit. The last night of our trip was in two triples right above the breakfast room- on the corner of the street- VERY noisy, oe room smelled so bad of smoke it was unbearable and shared bathroom with three other rooms wth no kitchen or common area. The breakfast room looks big enough until the guests arrive- 30 at one time in a very small congested area. The staff are not personable and seem only interested in getting you in and getting you out.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the renovated building and be sure it is a non smoking room- the rooms above the breakfast area is very noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family