All reviews shared bathroom bread great location the bus budget accommodation famous church main church ham guest house breakfast was included separate beds minute walk nice breakfast city centre tea and coffee double room stayed here for nights
Reviewed 11 January 2018

I see lots of negative-ish reviews on this place from people who seem to have expected a hotel. It is definitely a GUESTHOUSE! There is a shared bathroom in the building I was in (26?) which i expect would be hectic during the busy summer months but in the winter I never had a problem getting in there. The breakfast is simple but satisfying (and nice that it opens as early as 7 am), you can get a towel on request (as lots of people travel with their own towels) and the rooms are spacious for a guesthouse with lots of storage. My request for a double bed (I was travelling by myself) was accommodated at no extra charge, and the location of this place can't be beat - I could hear the chiming of the Halgrimskirkja bells from my room! I really enjoyed my 3 nights stay here, but if you are looking for a hotel, book a HOTEL.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Sigurdur H, Manager at Aurora Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. You have acknowledged that we are a Guest House and that the price and accomodate was good value for money. We are happy that you appreciate that our rooms are quite spacious and have a lot of storage space. It is also wonderful to hear that our staff could accomodate you with an upgrade to a double bed with no extra charge. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the location and your with us and we look forward to seeing you again next time you are travelling in Iceland.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

During the third week of November,I stayed in this very basic accommodation which charged me the equivalent of $100 per night.My room was very simple,I shared a toilet and a shower with several rooms,and I did not have a television in my room.On the plus side,I appreciated the cordialness of the staff and the nice breakfast(included with my room).I realize Reykjavik is an expensive city,but on 2 previous trips to Reykjavik,I received better value for the money that I spent.

Room Tip: Check out your room before you agree to stay there
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your feedback. We stand by the fact that we offer good value for money accomodation as a budget accomodation provider in Reykjavík with a very central location. The price you have paid at this time is based on seasonality and is a fair price. We appreciate you positive feedback regarding the good natures of our staff and the free breakfast that is included with your room.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Very basic and they wanted over $200usd for an additional night. I know the prices in the city are high but this was very low end accommodation. Our room was a block down from the main building and made it difficult to arrange meet ups with the rest of our groups as well all stayed in separate buildings. Forget about breakfast....it was a ZOO....such a small space for too large of a crowd...do yourself a favor and grab a coffee and protein bar at the shop down the street. Oh and did I mention the door to one of the bedrooms was off the hinges and propped up behind one of the beds......what is that about???

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you feel that our Guest House is overpriced and basic. You were travelling during peak summer season and the price reflects this. We are comfortable that you have paid a fair price for a quiet, private and large room which is self contained with kitchen. And, you were only 5 minutes walk from the centre of Reykjavík. When comparing true budget accomodation in Reykjavík such as a Hostel bed in a 8 bedroom dorm, you will pay approximately $60USD at this time of year and you will be sharing with 7 strangers with access to a share kitchen.
Regarding being in the same building as the rest of your group we are sorry we could not accomodate as this during the peak summer season. In relation to breakfast; we run breakfast from 7am to 10am to try accomodate the busy breakfast traffic which happens during peak summer and winter seasons.
We also appreciate your feedback and style tips regarding the door on the wall which is decorative from an old restoration of this building and we will take your feedback onboard when refurbishing this building. We do however assure you has not fallen off in 12 years and is not a safety risk.

Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

Stay over for 1 night. 4 of us staying in one room while other 4 staying in another room. This guesthouse owned a number of buildings along the street. We are staying in different buildings.

One small shared bathroom for several rooms. The bathroom is ouside in the corridor which has no heat out there. Very cold to get out of my room and go to the bathroom. The bed is stained and aged. Yet the room is clean and tidy. Complimentary breakfast with basic food choices.

Walking distance to everywhere in the city center. Budget choice for short stayover.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Sigurdur H, Manager at Aurora Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
We apologise for any inconvenience regarding your 2 groups not being able to stay in the same building.
We were heavily booked and unfortunately did not have 2 family rooms available in the same building at the time of your stay.
There is a ratio of 3 rooms to 1 bathroom in all buildings when you choose the option of shared facilities. Unfortunately, you may not have seen the other bathroom at the other end of the corridor. In relation to the heating in the bathroom; all our bathrooms have a heater and majority or our corridors also have a heater(s) which are always turned on to regulate the temperature to ensure our guests are warm and these heaters can be turned up by our guests . We apologise if the heating was not turned on the day you were staying. We are very mindful to have a comfortable warm environment in our guesthouse as we understand how cold it can be outside and how nice it is to come in out of the cold to a warm room and building. In relation to the your bed; we regularly change our matresses, if you could kindly provide us the room number we will double check and ensure that the matress has been replaced. Thank for the positive feedback regarding the room being clean and tidy, the mention of a 'complimentary breakfast'; which for most budget accomodation is not included as we do. And, finally, fantastic that you enjoyed the location being so very central to Reykjavík.
If you are back in Rejkavik in the future we would much appreciate an opportunity to provide you with a better accomodation experience.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with upgrade to own with own w.c.

This is a must, we were right next to the communal w.c which always welcomed us with a lovely smell whenever we returned. Can't really say this is the guest house fault but I don't want to know what our neighbors were eating let's put it that way.

Room was small, basic. No radio, t.v, etc etc. The wi-fi worked and the beds were clean. Little cold at nighttime with measly small pillows, you get what you pay for.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.
In relation to the smell from the bathrooms; guests sometimes make a similar comment.
You may just have been smelling the sulfur of Iceland. May people often mistake this smell for something else. Hopefully, this is all that you have done too. It was fantastic that you were upgraded immediately to have your own bathroom and we respect and accept your comments regarding the room being small and basic. We advertise the room as such 'Small Basic Budget Accomodation'.
Please note that all rooms have a clearly visible heater which a guest can certainly turn up if they wish for the room to be warm, hot, toasting, etc. In relation to your pillow being too small, we do use quality pillow and one persons prefence for a softer, flatter, feather etc certainly does vary from one guest to another and we encourage all our guests to come to reception if there is anything we can do to assist.
And, yes guests do request extra pilliows.
If we have the pleasure of having you stay with us again, please come and see our friendly team at reception and we will assist you as best we can to ensure an enjoyable stay.