“Not sure what all the fuss is about”

Icelandic Street Food
Ranked #3 of 571 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Description: Icelandic traditional food made as a street food. Serving : 8-11 in the morning Breakfast & Coffee All you can eat - 2000kr. From Lunch 11:30 - 23:00 in the night : Traditional Icelandic Fishermans Favourite with bread on side. Traditional Icelandic Shellfish Soup - Bread Bowl option Traditional Icelandic Lamb Soup - Bread Bowl option. Grandmothers traditional Cake & Pancakes Two doors down we have the Icelandic Craft Bar where we serve the golden circle of Icelandic Beers, traditional Icelandic Beer Snacks - Shark, Puffin, Lamb and Free waffles every day where you can take your food to if no seats are available and you don't want to wait for seating in our street food establishment. *BEST CHEAP EAT RESTAURANT 2018 - The Reykjavik Grapevine * - *FEATURED IN ALL AMERICAN AIRLINES IN FLIGHT TELEVISION 2018 * - *FEATURED IN THE TIMES *FEATURED IN THE GUARDIAN - Opening soon in PORTLAND, Maine USA.
Reviewed 22 June 2018

We saw the rave reviews of Icelandic Street Food and figured we may as give it a shot. It was very busy when we arrived around 8pm in mid-June. They seem to have about 25-30 seats in their little cubby-hole of a restaurant: stools at tall tables. We ordered two lamb stews in bread bowls. It looked like there was no seating for us so we were given a coupon for a free beer and told we could go to their sister establishment (a pub?) a few doors down the street. As it turned out we were able to snag a seat.
Our two lamb stews were delivered. The lamb stew is actually in a broth, not a gravy. I didn't count the pieces of lamb in my stew but I don't think it was more than 5... It tasted fine and I ate most of the bread, which was thick and chewy (appropriate considering the liquid it was holding back!). Our stew was refillable but I didn't go for a refill.
Service was friendly and polite.
Reykjavik is incredibly expensive, so I will only say that the two lamb stews cost us about $50 CAD and that is probably about as cheap as you're going to eat for two in Reykjavik, unless you go to the grocery store and make your own meal, or eat basic hot dogs on the street. If you were to go for refills of the stew, then obviously, the value would be better.
But really, while the lamb stews were good, they weren't out of this world! However, we enjoyed ourselves and thought it was worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Check this place out when you're in Reykjavik. The staff is super friendly, and the food is authentic. I got the lamb soup in a bread bowl. It was good. The fact that you can get free refills and free dessert (macaroons and another cookie-like item) is pretty amazing in a city where the food is very expensive.

Go there when you're hungry!

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

I honestly have no idea how this place makes any money. It’s already reasonable (about £13 for a portion of the delicious Fisherman’s Favourite), but then you get “free refills” on top...of basically anything else that’s on the menu. So for £13 I had the Fisherman’s Favourite with gorgeous malty bread, then a portion of the shellfish soup with a hunk of bread. And three different sweet treats also for free!

The place has a very relaxed vibe but the food came seconds after I got back to my seat. I’m pretty sure we’re going back again tomorrow!

Long may this place stay open.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Great soup in the bread bowl, especially after a long rainy day. We’ve got our refills in the plastic cup so we can finish it with that bread.
At the time of our visit the seating was limited and we had to walk with our soup two doors down to Icelandic Craft Bar that had plenty of seating. It seems those two under the same ownership and have a creative way to address the customer overflow. No complains, it is the Icelandic Street Food, by the end of the day.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

I went there because I heard about the delicious soup. Sure enough it was just that! You can get a plain cup, a cup with bread or inside a bread bowl. You could also get the fisherman’s special, which was the best thing! On top of that, you can have free unlimited refills, which was a pleasant surprise. I think you can get a macaroon on the way out too!