“Pleasant”

Ranked #64 of 110 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
tacoma,WA
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I stayed at Capital Inn during the last week of March. It was a nice place close to the water and nature. About 20 to 30 minute walk to downtown. There are lots of walkways. The Perlan was about 7minutes walk, a place to see the city from the 4th floor. The mall is close by, also there is a great bakery. Capital Inn had a breakfast buffet, wi fi and the rooms were small but with a tv. The staff was very friendly and the owner was very helpful.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I stayed at The Capital Inn for 5 nights at the end of this January as a 21 year old solo traveler. Having arrived at the inn at around 130 in the morning, I rang the buzzer and was given my key. Upon opening my door I was pleasantly surprised at how big and spacious the room was. The room itself looked much more modern then I was expecting. There was a closet, sink, alarm clock, TV, a reading light above the bed, along with other little things that gave the room good taste. There was also free wi-fi, that I took advantage of. I later found out that I was given a double room instead of a single room as they were renovating some of the single rooms. This was fine by me! The room itself was very clean, beds were comfortable, and every day the bed was made and new towels were given.

I did have to share a bathroom with the hall (one for men, and one for women), but this was never a problem. The bathroom was also clean and well maintained. There was never a noise issue at night (and I am a light sleeper). I did have a room that was not facing the highway so this may have helped. It does seem to cater to a younger crowd and I could hear music coming from the rooms when I walked down the hall at night. It wasn't too loud, but the door to my room was heavy and solid enough that it blocked any of it out. I did see older adults there too, so it appears it caters to all age groups.

Breakfast was basic but adequate. There were different breads, jams, and spreads, three choices of cereal with milk and yoghurt. There were also meats and cheese. Two different kinds of juices were offered with coffee available too, along with some other things. You would be hard pressed to find a place to stay at $27 a night including a free breakfast!

The staff was very friendly. I talked with the owner several times, and he helped me out in suggesting good places to eat and took the time to draw the locations out on a little map. If you had any questions, they were willing to help you out.

The location itself could be a little better. To the Hallgrímskirkja church it was about a 25 minute walk. However, I am young and didn't mind it one bit. It is located in a quiet neighborhood and I actually found the walks into town quite enjoyable. Reykjavik is an excellent town for walking as there are foot and bike paths everywhere. However, if you are older, then you might find this a bit of an issue. I was out late one night and did get a taxi back to the inn from town center. It cost me around 1300 ISK or about $12.70. So a taxi is still reasonable.

The Capital Inn also has bicycles and motorbikes to rent, and the prices seemed reasonable. I would have rented a bike but being that the weather was windy and rainy, I'll have to save that for the next time I stay at the Capital Inn.

In conclusion, the Capital Inn offers excellent value for money. I found the rooms to be very clean and modern, the service was excellent, and the free breakfast was more than adequate for the price you pay. The only downside may be the location. It just depends on whether or not you like walking. I didn't mind the 25 minute walk into town, but some people may find that as a bit of a downside. Either way, I highly recommend the Capital Inn when you visit Reykjavik.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Kuhner
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 7 January 2011

The guesthouse is conveniently located in a nice quiet neighbourhood and in a walking distance from the Perlan as well as from the downtown of Reykjavik (if you don't rent a car or go with the city tours, it will take you only 30 minutes to reach the city centre). As for service, an incredibly friendly staff works at the place and is always ready to answer any of your questions or provide essential information. I wouldn't say that the rooms are spacious but they are surely comfortable and kept tidy. So, the Capital-Inn is a wonderful and sweet place to stop at if you're going to Reykjavik!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed 15 December 2010

This was my first trip to Iceland, and the Capital Inn is a great place to stay. It is in Reykjavik, near a great bakery and lots of lighted trails. They even have bikes you can rent. The value was incredible and the rooms were very clean. We shared a bathroom, which was no problem, and enjoyed meeting the others staying there, mostly students during the winter. The staff was so helpful and friendly. As an added convenience, there is a wonderful continental breakfast available, and we had breakfast every morning we were there. I will be staying here again when I return to Iceland and have already recommended this property for a couple of friends going there in February.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2010

No stairs, very pricey for what it was at $50/night. Shared bathroom was relatively clean but was more like a hostel. The beds were uncomfortable, and the walls were so paper thin I could hear my neighbor sneeze. I stupidly booked a non-refundable reservation on booking.com. I stayed one night and switched to the centerhotel klopp and was much more comfortable. If you are used to slumming it, are a backpacker, or are not a fussy sleeper or sensitive about these things, then it should be fine for you. I am a value traveller, but not a backpacker. Breakfast was decent.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank artichoke78

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

Ottawa
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This was the first place we stayed upon arrival in Iceland, and it was perfect for us. We made the most of the room by sleeping in the morning (they were kind enough to let us have the room before the regular check-in hour) and again at night. The room was clean, roomy, had a sink and a TV and plenty of electrical outlets. The Inn provides a "continental breakfast" in the morning which was quite satisfactory. Although the location is not the best (a bit of a walk to the bus station), the shuttle from the airport dropped us off at the Inn upon request, and the staff were great with directions and information, making us feel right at home. Our night here was a good start to a month-long Icelandic adventure and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010
capitalinn, Owner at The Capital-Inn, responded to this review, 10 October 2010
HI,

Thank you very much for writing a review about your stay with us, I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in Iceland and I hope that you had a nice trip home.

Regards

Arni Solonsson
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2010

The Capital Inn had the nicest owner/management. Overall, this hostel provides exactly what you pay for. Rooms were simple but clean. There is a large kitchen where you can cook your own food. It is about a 30-minute walk into downtown Reykjavik, but it provided a good opportunity to see other areas. All shuttle tours that were arranged picked us up at the Inn directly. Overall, I would recommend this to others. The only negative was the bathroom set-up in the basement. It is one co-ed bathroom with two stalls and one shower with no outer door seperating it from the adjacent kitchen. But if you don't mind that, it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends