The Capital-Inn
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$233
Reykjavik4you Apartments Hotel(Reykjavik)
US$228
US$377
US$341
  • Bar/Lounge
Reykjavik Lights by Keahotels(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$369
US$214
US$198
Hotel Laxnes(Mosfellsbaer)
US$252
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica(Reykjavik)(Great Value!)
US$345
US$316
US$435
US$414
  • Bar/Lounge
US$607
US$552
All reviewswhale steakcity centregeothermal beachthe busbed roomcrackersbedside tableother gueststhe pearlpetrol stationexpensive countrycommunal kitchenno elevatorhama nice place to stayporridgethe staff was friendly and helpful
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Overall, I was very happy with this hostel. It was my very first hosteling experience, and I had read mixed reviews so I wasn't sure about it and was pleasantly surprised. It was fantastically clean, and felt very safe despite the lack of lockers (although I believe there was a safety deposit box available that I did not use). I stayed in a mixed 4 person dorm the first two nights (the first night it was actually just me in there which was great!), the big mixed 12 person dorm the next 3 nights, and the mixed 10 person dorm the last night, for a total of 6 nights.

Everyone staying there seemed friendly, although most kept to themselves. I never felt unsafe leaving my things in the room as everyone was trusting each other and there were no incidents. When I arrived very early, the reception who were quite friendly (although not fantastic at directions) let me leave my things in the lobby with a pile of others' bags who had done the same.

If you are looking for a party hostel, this is not it - but if you just want a clean, quiet place to stay, I would highly recommend it. The bunk beds are comfy although the mattresses are a bit thin (not enough to cause any pain however). The rooms are quite large. The kitchen is large and well equipped and organized. Shared bathrooms were very clean - the women's bathroom has 3 stalls that each have a shower, toilet and sink of their own. Perfectly warm water, although as to be expected, not the most amazing water pressure. Hair dryers are available for free use.

The free wifi worked almost all of the time, although of the three available networks, you had to switch around to see which one was best on that given day. Sometimes worked right in the room, but a couple times I did have to go to the common area right outside the room for it to connect.

Biggest con: It is, as mentioned, quite far from the centre. 45 to 1 hour walk depending on route and speed, and though there is a bus you can take, you have to walk 15 mins to the stop and likely walk a bit on the other end as well depending on where you are heading. Usually only shaved off about 20 minutes of walking. However, there is a nearby grocery store and you are very nearby a large viewpoint that is a main attraction (Perlan). Also, if you are doing any day tours, you are almost certainly being picked up by their bus anyways on those days, and if you want dropped off in town at the end of the day. Bonus: the bus does let you off right across the street from the Iceland Phallological Museum which is worth a visit!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I don't expect much from budget accommodations, but compared to the Aurora Guesthouse for a similar price, this place is below average in my opinion. The website says near cafes but the front desk points out the nearest one is on premise, otherwise you have to go to the mall (closed in evening) or the city center (ok, but would rather be staying closer if that is my choice). There is an air freshener smell in my room that is not my personal taste, so the window is open to let the rushing traffic sounds in. Internet would not connect. I guess the good part of my displeasure with being here is that I will head out to experience Reyjavik sooner :) The only good thing: It is clean.

Room Tip: I am in a single room on 3rd floor 31, and it is quite large for a hostel-like place.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2014

It was really a very budget backpacker's place. Shared bathroom, and worst of all they've no corridor lights. Which means at night if you're heading to the rest room, it's pitch black.

But they've got huge rooms, and I think for the price, it's considered worth it.

Room Tip: There's no good rooms :/ it's more like a backpackers' or transit place.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Six friends and I stayed for 3 nights at this guesthouse in shared big rooms. We weren't really satisfied with the cleanness of the kitchen (but I recognize they had a very good fridge where you could store your food in small boxes).
The rooms weren't well ventilated (one of them was even smelling bad) and the showers would easily flood.
The location is good only if you're renting a car.
In general, I would say it's okay for the price you pay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I only stayed for few hours in this hostel - my flight landed around midnight so didn't get to the hotel before 1 AM and I had to get up early in the morning to go to a hiking trip. Good value for money. The facilities were clean except for the sink in the toilet - it was blocked and water was overflowing.. Buffet breakfast was extra 10 Euros. The location is a bit far from the city center though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo