“Great”
Review of Central Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Reykjavik
Central Apartments
Reviewed 17 October 2011

was with a friend and we had a one bedroom apartment. Was fantastic to get a little bit of privacy after spending a lot of time together. The price was really good and definitely centrally located. Didn't find the noise to be a big issue at all, although I was usually out between one and five in the morning so it definitely wouldn't have bothered me. There were a couple of minor annoyances. The free wifi was so incredibly slow. If you really want good wifi go elsewhere. Wasn't a big deal for me but it was a little annoying. The door lock was not the best. We managed to get a system going so that we could actually get into the apartment. And only one key! Despite this though it was quite roomy compared to what we had in Iceland and was quite good value.
One other thing though. Booked this one through hotels.com as that was the cheapest rate I could find. On the website for the apartments though it says to contact the apartments to let them know what time you will be there. There was nothing on hotels.com about this. Took a bit to track down the number in the end. So definitely call ahead. Ok, maybe this makes it about four and a half stars, but it was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Watch out with Reykjavik excursions we had an issue when we did the golden circle tour. We got miss...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 October 2011

Yes, the reviews are true. It is a fabulous and we are staying there every single time we visit Iceland. We just got back and I cannot wait to return.

The only possible issue I could see is that the location may be a bit noisy on Friday/Saturday evenings due to the nightclubs. So, if you are troubled by the noises in the city of people having fun, then stay off the main street somewhere. We, however, loved being in the center of everything and it added so much to our trip.

Again, I cannot say enough about this experience. I have been to Iceland 3 times and all trips were wonderful but this was but far the best.

Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any specific questions!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Normally I reserve 5-star ratings for luxurious hotels, but Central Apartments Reykjavik deserves special mention. Located in the heart of the city, Central Apartments is within walking distance of all major landmarks. Parking is easy and we were able to find a spot right near the apartment. Upon arrival I called the apartment manager and within minutes he arrived at the door. He welcomed us to his establishment and introduced us to our room. The room itself was extremely clean and well appointed. Satellite TV, wifi and a loaner cell phone came standard. If you come to Iceland from North America or Asia your CDMA cell phone is useless. The loaner phone was a huge bonus that I wasn't anticipating and it allowed us to get in touch with local friends. The standard double bed was comfy and the room came with a sleeper sofa in case extra sleeping space is needed. Each apartment has glassware, cookware, a microwave, a fridge, a toaster and a coffee maker. The bathroom was clean, had towels, toiletries and hot water a plenty. What really makes Central Apartments special is the attention to detail. I've stayed at plenty of hotels that focussed purely on appearance and therefore ignored the small amenities that really make a stay pleasurable and convenient. If you ever visit Iceland, Central Apartments is well worth a look!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KKrater
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Iceland is not a cheap destination, so self-catering makes a lot of sense.
These apartments are as central as they can get in restaurant/café hub Austurstraeti. We didn't stay over the weekend, when the owner himself told us it can get quite rowdy. There is a square with skaters just in front of the West side of the building.
Ear plugs are provided.
The rooms are equipped qith everything you need for self-catering, the decor is Ikea-simple. The bathrooms are very small but ok but not good for light laundry, the sink is a miniature!
All very clean and pleasant.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The location is great...UNLESS there is a party in the square outside the place the night you are trying to sleep before a big hike. I hear the first Fri/Sat of the month and holidays are bad days to stay here due to either availability of money or celebrations. So unless you want to be up until 3-4 am on those dates, you may not want to stay here.
Apartments/rooms felt roomy and staff were very helpful and friendly.
One of our friends was in a room over booked and Central Apartments booked us at a nearby and upscale hotel to make up for it. So no harm done and I appreciate their making up for an honest mistake.
I'd try them again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This apartment is perfect if you want to cut costs while in Reykjavik but still want a good location and nice accomodations. Rooms are modern and clean and the kitchen is super functional. Right in the middle of the awesome club scene. The owner let us use the cell phone as we travelled outside reykjavik for a couple of days which was super convenient.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Let me start with the fact that I am extremely picky about the hotels were we stay when I go on vacation, since for me they can "make or break" the entire trip. I tend to spend a good amount of my budget in upgrades to the best hotel category available.
In this trip we had a reservation at the Hilton Nordica were we stayed a couple of nights, however due to a last minute volcano eruption I ended up with my whole scheduled guided tour canceled and no hotel to stay. I immediately called the Hilton and all of the Icelandair hotels + other well known hotel chains but everything was booked since the airport had been closed for days.
In these desperate situation I went online and booked 3 nights at the Central Apartments based on the tripadvisor ratings without putting much thought into it.
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprise. The room looked so cozy, it was like taken out of an Ikea catalog; the bed was super comfortable (much better than the one at the Hilton), the bed linens were superb and we even had free wireless internet and cable TV!
The location was unbeatable!!! right in the center of Reykjavik, on the most famous shopping street and about 4 blocks away from the main tourist information center!
We even had a phone with a calling card that we could use to make local/long distance calls.
I never expected so much from a hotel that I would have never chosen in the first place.
The manager was extremely nice. When the roads were re-open we decided to leave 1 night earlier and he even refunded us the third night!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple