“Great Bar” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn) - CLOSED

Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn)
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed at The Borg next door to the Icelandic Bar in November 2012. It was a great place to meet up with friends.
The beer selection at the bar was very good, all sorts, something for everyone if you have the time in Reykjavik to try them all.
The menu was surprisingly extensive and pretty adventurous. We enjoyed the mal we ate there very much.
The bar seems to be under the same ownership as the Borg Hotel and I think they have the same kitchens. I don't know this for definite, but food did come from a door that we know lead to The Borg.
Since returning from our holiday I have longed to be back at the Icelandic Bar on a daily basis, with good company and a good Einstock White beer.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Deborah B B

Cincinnati, Ohio
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“HORRIBLE service, not the beer selection advertised, average & expensive food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

I would skip it. The reason we came was the Taste of Iceland menu. The menu contains foods that are mainly unpalatable, but are part of an "experience." There HAS to be somewhere else to go for this though.

The waiter spent most of his time texting. We had to walk to the bar to get refills on water and beer.

Skip it. There are so many more places that are much better and much more affordable and friendly!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank sj1923
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A taste of Iceland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

A wonderful place with great staff.
We wanted to try some "traditional" local foods and well and truly got them here!
My second visit, we had the taster board with a shark starter (not for the faint hearted!! ) and the traditional Brennevin shot to chase it down, then on to the main event, three starters (smoked meat and local "wild" meats featured heavily here) and three samplers of their mains, including again, much local wildlife, all well served by knowledgeable staff in a bar with a good beer and spirit selection and a great atmosphere.
I have been here now twice which is testament in itself to the quality of the bar.

Visited October 2012
Belfast
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“A real Icelandic feast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

As someone who doesn't eat fish I was quite nervous about my trip to Iceland yet excited about the prospect of trying some different foods. I had thought it would be quite difficult to find some of the more notorious foodstuffs such as fermented shark and whale meat and even then I thought they would just be served as a curiosity to silly tourists like myself.

I was very pleasantly surprised to come across Islenski Barrin in the square which served these Icelandic foods in small jars - perfect for those of us taking a risk with our dinner - almost like tapas so we could share them between us. The service was absolutely second to none, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable with a genuine passion for the food and interest in whether we liked it. And boy did we like it... Well except for the shark.

We ordered a few things to split; puffin (meaty, gamey, tasty), lamb (Icelandic lamb is some of the best I've ever had), whale (AMAZING! Like a firm but tender beef and not at all fishy and no fat to be seen), languoistine in garlic butter (yummy) and on the waitress's recommendation, foal which came as a fillet and also a confit salted foal. It was quite honestly one of the most delicious things I've ever eaten. Don't be put off by the fact that it is foal, just think if you eat lamb it is a baby sheep so there is no difference and the Icelandic people love their horses and they will be organic and free-range unlike horrible battery chickens back home.

The fermented shark is every bit as rank as is rumoured. We ordered our's the traditional way - served with Brennivin/Black Death (Icelandic liquor of fermented potato flavoured with caraway) which is the only way to get rid of the foul taste. I can only describe it as eating the flesh of an obese man who has been decaying for months and someone pee'd on him. Not that I'd know of course!

I would implore anyone to visit this restaurant for its fabulous reasonably-priced exotic food and wonderful staff. Just stay away from the shark, it's got that reputation for a reason!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank rubyglittershoes
Rugby, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

Very reasonable prices compared to elsewhere in this expensive country and a great way to try some of the local food. Nice outdoor area too - great for people watching.

Visited July 2012