“The wonder of nature”
Review of Iceland Horizon

Iceland Horizon
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating only a few select daily scheduled tours which are always in small groups, Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Our philosophy has always been that you are travelling on a guided tour and the bus is just a means of transport, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were part of coach tour organised by the cruise company.
We saw amazing natural features, waterfalls, geysers and the best was the Thingvellir National Park. We walked down the rift in the Þingvellir area, it is a part of the North Atlantic rift system, almost entirely nested within the Reykjaneshryggur-Langjökull rift system. It can be described as an area of sea-floor spreading, displaying the close association of crustal rifting and volcanism. Þingvellir and the Great Rift Valley of Eastern Africa are the only sites on Earth where the effects of two major plates drifting apart can be observed. The rift in June was awash with native alpine flowers

2  Thank Gillian S
There are newer reviews for Iceland Horizon

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I did the Golden Circle tour and the South Shore tour with Iceland Horizon and I would highly recommend to do both. The guides were friendly and knowledgeable on both of the tours. The tours were well organized and the atmosphere on the mini bus was warm and welcoming even though I was travelling alone. The Golden circle tour is a must-do but I must say that for me the South Shore tour was even more spectacular!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I went on three trips with Iceland Horizon while on a stopover in Iceland, including the Golden Circle. Had a great time on each trip. They were small groups on a minibus driven by David (a British expat) and ably assisted by his young son. Weather was not always cooperative and I had to do some running to cover as much ground as I wanted at some of the stops, but the scenery was spectacular, we had no vehicle problems, and we saw a lot of birds (and some orcas and seals at Snaefellsnes). David is a wealth of knowledge about Icelandic natural and cultural history, as well as its current sociopolitical climate. Everyone on the trips seemed to enjoy themselves.

2  Thank Ted W
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We did the Golden Circle tour with Iceland Horizons and were very impressed. The company uses passenger vans that hold no more than 20 or so people, so you really get to know your tour driver/guide, who is very ready to answer any and all questions. Our guide was Gerda, and she was very charming and informative. From my first email contact with David, to the drop off at our hotel, it was a wonderful day. One good thing to know - this company often does the loop in reverse, so as to avoid being in the same place at the same time as the large tour buses, and makes a point of dropping passengers off as close to the attraction as possible, then picking up at the other end of any paths or walkways. We didn't mind walking, but it is helpful for those who aren't comfortable with a bit of a walk, or, if it's a wet day, as our day was. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

In January I took a couple of Iceland Horizons tours, including the South Coast tour and I left them a glowing review.

In June I once again visited Iceland and, unable to take the tour I wanted, I decided to retake the South Shore tour to see the difference in the countryside between Winter and Summer......and I'm so glad I did.

Once again David was the tour leader and he was just as friendly and informative as I remember. The weather on the June tour was obviously very different to the January one, and as a result David not only visited the main locations in a different order to take advantage of this but he also threw in some interesting extra stops along the way as no-one was in a rush to back for anything - two things that I imagine that the larger group tours couldn't do easily. As a result the tour lasted not 8 hours as stated on the I.H. website but nearer to 11hrs, not arriving back in Reykjavik until about 8pm.

Obviously I can only review my trip, I cannot guarantee who you will get as your guide or what stops they will choose to make but from my limited experience I cannot rate Iceland Horizons highly enough and as an insight into Iceland for those with limited time and budget this is a great day tour.

1  Thank Jonathan A