“Returning to Iceland”

Nepalese Kitchen
Ranked #56 of 461 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Cuisines: Asian, Tibetan, Indian, Nepalese
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: This place is temporarily closed. It plans to reopen mid of April 2017. Nepalese Kitchen restaurant offers a delicately spiced Nepalese and Indian Grill & Curry. Kitchen's Nepalese dishes originate predominantly in the Newari cuisine, praised for its rich taste as well as for its dietary benefits. All our food is glutein free. If you have any allergies, please let us know and we will adjust the food for you.
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Returning to Iceland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We came to this restaurant about 8 months ago and ate here three times and every time the staff were really welcoming and friendly.

We just planned a trip here and have spent the last 2 weeks in Iceland and all the way up to actually coming here we were talking about how we couldn't wait it visit this restaurant again.

Last time we were here on our last visit we felt the need to write a note on the receipt thanking them for the food over our stay, we never do this but the service was so good and the food was so good we wanted them to know how much we enjoyed it.

On our current trip we have been here twice and once again both times the food was amazing; coming from the uk our national dish is quickly becoming curry so we eat at a lot of curry restaurants but none are anywhere near as good as this place.

On our first visit this time we had chicken saag and the chicken Nepalese masala which were both excellent, the Nepalese masala especially is really good, I don't usually like sweet curries but it's extremely nice and honey sweet rather than sugar sweet.

Our second visit which we have just returned from we had the Tandoori chicken and Nepalese masala again. Once again both were exceptional and we would strongly recommend the butter naan as it is nice and crispy and not the usual doughy naan.

Also just a final point to note this is the only curry restaurant I have ever been to that will ask you how hot you want any of the curries and should you choose hot be warned it can be very hot but without losing any of the taste that sometimes happens with especially hot dishes.

Overall definitely needs a visit.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank IanKinghorn

Tampere, Finland
“I was not so impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Other reviewers seem to have liked the place. I wasn't so impressed. The flawors were more like ready mixed mediterrian herbs and spices than nepalian or indian. Their naan bread reminded me a pizza without toppings. I later read that their food is glutein free so this might be the reason for that. I had lamb chops. There were only four of them with lots of poorly cooked, vetty veggies. And this costs about 30 euros! My friend liked her tofu-skewer, and I also tasted her portion. It was ok, but did not taste very nepalian since the flaworing that I assosiate to pizza.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank minnamarina
Redditch
“Very good food, and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very surprised to find a Nepalese restaurant in Reykjavik. Glad we did, as it was a very tasty, well cooked meal. The staff were very friendly, service was fast, and food great. And surprisingly for Iceland, not eye wateringly expensive.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Chaz-b98
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“A great restaurant and worth a visit....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We had a 2 course meal which included their signature curry with 2 x soft drinks all for the grand sum of £55. The owner/host was great company and this made for a great night out.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank brian t
New Port Richey, Florida, United States
“A must-try!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

... In fact, I liked it so much, I went back three times during my short stay in Iceland!

The food is phenomenally good and very affordable. I had the Nepalese Masala with Garlic Naan, and they were both amazing. The owner is very friendly, the decor is charming, and the location cannot be beat. Although it looks very small, there is a second floor with seating when it gets crowded. This restaurant has more than earned its place as one of the top 10 places to eat in Reykjavik on TripAdvisor.

• Visited May 2014