“Eat Here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Gallery Restaurant
Ranked #151 of 455 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$20 - US$85
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Gallery Restaurant was chosen the best restaurant in Iceland 2012 by Nordic Prize.The restaurant is set in an intimate room with beautiful artwork all around and offer several kinds of private rooms for groups and individual. The selection of our gourmet menus includes fresh Icelandic ingredients, steaks and seafood for lunch and dinner. Gallery Restaurant has never been better than right now, whether you are looking for a romantic meal with your loved one, dinner with friends or a family feast, this is the place to celebrate all that is good in life.Our walk-in wine cellar includes about 4000 vintage wines - why not try wine tasting in our cellar to set the mood for a memorable evening?Open every day from 12-14pm and 18-22:30pm.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Eat Here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were staying at the Holt so just ate here on the first night, We were not dissapointed
I had the slow cooked rib eye, at About £30 i expected something special, I got a steak that i would travel back to iceland for, it was cooked to perfection and the meat so tender.My wife had lamb and was similarly impressed.
Please dont be put off by the price, it is very much worth it
Tip If staying at the hotel you have a ticket for a 10% discount, use it,
The staff were knowledgable and polite
We had not made a reservation but ate early on a friday evening, the restaurant is not large so booking at peak times may be advised

• 5 of 5 bubbles
saradogg, Manager at Gallery Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Mr. Smudge,
Thank you for writing us a great review.
We serve the slow cooked Rib eye steak both for lunch and dinner with fries and Béarnaise sauce. This plate is a classic and a lot of our regular guests come again and again for the Rib eye steak.
I hope we will see you again in the future.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Karmsund
“Excellent restaurant - perfect lobster soup”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had a two course dinner here the last day of our stay at the Hotel Holt.

I had expectations after reading most of the comments here at Tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed to say at least.

My meal started with the famous lobster soup. I am a great fan of all kind of soups, and I have been served great soups in many first class restaurants. But this one tops it all; what an amazing mixture of various tastes. A perfect balanced soup, and even though I was a little bit skeptical regarding the chocolate mousse I must admit that it blended in perfectly.

My main meal was the roasted lamb. Also this dish was very good. The lamb itself came perfectly prepared and again I became a little skeptical when I saw that, among other stuff, it was served with warm small balls of water melon. However, once again, the melon turned out to be a good companion for the lamb.

Did not have any desert except for a very nice prepared Irish Coffee.

Along with the starter and the main dish I asked the waiter to give me a glass of his choice of wine to each of the dishes, white wine with the lobster soup and red wine to the lamb. Both of his choices were very good.

Finally the waiter (s) that served us were also very service minded and professional all the way.

One more thing, before we received our starters we actually received a small cup of a good soup made from sweet potatoes and potatoes, with compliments from the Chef, a really nice gesture.

We had dinner at several other good restaurants in Reykjavik but this was definitely the best one we visited and I will love to come back on my next trip to Iceland (yes I am definitely going back to Iceland again).

This restaurant is mostly recommended from my side.

Dear Mr. Karmsund,
Thank you for your nice comment and welcome back home.
We are really pleased to read your review about your visit to Gallery Restaurant. The lobster soup is one of the specialties of the house and has a special flavor that we are proud of. Also we always have the Icelandic lamb at the menu and the watermelon surprises many of our guests.
You are very welcome next time when you visit Iceland.

White Plains, New York
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel and saw the sign that it won an award from Trip adviser. The food was unbelievable. The waiter was probably a young boy, who was better than any waiter I have ever seen. I had the lamb, and my friends had the beef tenderloin. Beef Tenderloin was awesome.

Visited October 2013
saradogg, Manager at Gallery Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Alvin A.
Thank you very much for writing us a review.
We are honoured to read these good things about the restaurant and hope that we can welcome you again in the future. The young boy is a student from Holland and will be staying with us until end of the year. It´s only his second year in the school so he will only get better :)

I hope your trip back home went well.

Menlo Park, California
“Expected to like it but was sorely dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

After reading all reviews was really looking forward to eating here. I had the 3 course menu and was dissapointed. Lobster soup was just ok.. The venison was a disastrous mix of so many flavors- pasta with octopus sauce, watermelon balls topped with melted mozzarella all in a basil cream and lemongrass sauce! I skipped the dessert. I am a globe trotting foodie and this has to be the worst meal I've had in a very long time.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
saradogg, Manager at Gallery Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Jack S.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your evening with us. However, I find a couple of things troubling in your review. Our lobster soup, which we have served since opening almost 50 years ago, has been universally revered ever since, until now.

In regards to the venison. There has not been venison on our menus for some 3 years. Trying to put together what dish you may be referring to, it sounds like you are referring to the lamb, although the multi-color pasta does not come in multiple flavours and some other ingredients you mention are not a part of our menu. I am almost inclined to ask if you are sure you dined with us on that night and not a different restaurant.

I certainly hope you were able to find a restaurant during your visit that impressed you more than this and hope you see fit to give us another chance some day in the future.

Reykjavik, Iceland
“Excellent food but......depending on days the service is lacklustre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Over the past month I have returned to Gallery restaurant 3 times. Each time the food was excellent. The beef is fantastic, the fish dishes are fresh and perfectly spiced and as usual the wine list is extensive.

On two of the occasions we had a very nice waiter: helpful, knowledgable and extremely friendly.

Last time around it was a different one and at some point, on top of the pushy serving and rough movements, we thought this person was mocking us and talking us down. Not a very pleasant experience but luckily the food was great.

I usually give a second chance to all waiters and I will be back and hopefully this was an isolated event (although I have heard from others that this person is plain rude at times).

Still the best "côte de boeuf" in town

1 Thank ON_iceland
saradogg, Owner at Gallery Restaurant, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear ON_Iceland.

Thank you for the kind words about our food and most often about our service. Since you are one our many loyal return guests, it is very important that we listen and learn from your review. I would greatly appreciate it if you would please contact me at your convenience to help me find out when you dined with us so we can investigate fully and make sure we take the necessary measures to eliminate this sort of behaviour from our team.

Friðgeir Ingi Eiríksson