“Affordable guest house in the heart of Reykjavik”

Skolabru Guesthouse
Ranked #49 of 107 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Affordable guest house in the heart of Reykjavik”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Similar to other reviews, we found the accommodations to be just what we needed for a one night stopover in Reykjavik. The location and price can't be beat. Our tour driver could not find the house so he called the owner for us. As the owner knew that we had arrived, he walked over to make sure we got in ok. Had we not called, I don't think we would have seen any management. The house claims to have wireless, but we could only access the hotspot one time, which was extremely frustrating as there was no one around to help us. The "check-out" process is non-existent. You just leave and leave the room key in the door, which we didn't feel entirely comfortable about. There was one shared bathroom on the upstairs level where our room was located. The floor flooded from the shower, but was otherwise adequate. The room itself (#3) was very spacious and well decorated (twin beds) with a nice side balcony. Yes, there was noise at night (Saturday), but it was expected and we had ear plugs waiting. Would recommend overall, but try to get the owner to meet you when you arrive and help you figure out the wireless.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This guesthouse was a real treat - absolutely spotless, very nice rooms, great common rooms, loads of information for travellers, and the location could not be better. The owner was extremely kind and helpful, and it was great to hear about the history of the 1912 Guesthouse (it was a doctor's house and office). On top of it all, it was great value! Thanks, and we will be back, for sure!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

The location is fabulous, and my room was clean and comfortable. I found it a good value and would stay here again. I left an article of clothing behind, and Richard kindly mailed it to me.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
easto_79
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed for 1 night on August 2nd, 2011. The location was perfect, right behind the main entertainment street. All bars and resturants were all within a 5 min walk. The rooms were clean and the beds were nice. Towels were included in the price. The kitcken was very clean and lots of room in the fridge. There was lots of free maps in the living room. The bathroom was fine, but I did notice the hot water was week when another shower was in use.
We never saw any staff but they had emailed us all the details of the room and entry code to the house so there was no need. I would stay here again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get there early.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank easto_79
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

the guesthouse is nice and we got a decently sized room with a shared bathroom.
we've been moved to a room in the lower ground floor (that was a bit disappointing) as a result of booking problems; however the staff has been so nice to grant us a considerable discount on the agreed price.
the house is right in the centre of reykjavik and makes it easy to explore the city on foot.

Inishowen Peninsula, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed here for just two nights and was really sorry to leave. Reykjavik is such a wonderful city and it needs so much more than 3 short days. 1912 Guesthouse is in a great location, 2 minutes' walk from Iceland Excursions (important for those early-morning trip departures), the main shopping streets, lots of cafes, bars, restaurants, supermarkets and bakeries, and about 15 minutes' walk from the main bus station. I did experience a lot of noise from the neighbouring bar on my second night, but Kristian (forgive me if I got your name wrong) sorted it out without me even having to complain, and there was a very nice apology email in my inbox the following morning. I was upgraded to a better room without even asking, and when I checked I was given a map and tips on what to see and do. The kitchen is great, fully equipped and a nice way to save a few Krona, and the house is really clean and secure. As a solo female I couldn't have felt safer anywhere. I'm looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank devotchka83
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is a true gem. The location is wonderful (very centrally located), the rooms are large and comfortable and Richard is fantastic. If you're going to Reykjavik stay here!