“Road trip”

Our House
Prague, Czech Republic
“Road trip”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Road trip around whole island start over here. It is very nice place. I was there only one night but I had really very good feeling. I did not meet there any personal but everything was perfect prepare for me, event with gift in the form of small chocolate :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cefan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was by far one of the best places I've ever stayed and I'm including 4 star resorts etc. The best thing about this place is how comftable you feel and how quickly you feel it! Me and my husband arrived in the morning after flying quite early and as we came round the corner it looked lovely already :) There was a cute envelope on the window with our keys in it and a little note to welcome us. We let ourselves in and the house was lovely!

It was warm, with the radio on and so homely. I already had a smile on my face. Forgetting about our tiredness instantly we ran around the house exploring like kids! Our room was nice with a really comfy bed and a nice little welcome pack. It was so warm as well, they really know how to keep you snuggly in Iceland! We went and had a shower as we felt a bit yuk after our flight and the shower was lovely. After this we bumped in to Bedda and she couldn't have been nicer :) She showed us all around the house and made sure we were happy. She was so lovely we couldn't help but feel at home. She also took our photo with a instant camera so we went up on the board and I have to say I love that touch!

Everything at Our House was great. We loved using the kitchen to cook and there's a great selection of cereals, bread etc. for breakfast. Our House really helped us keep our costs down when it came to food. There's a little shop round the corner also if you want to buy food to make dinner. We also sat in the kitchen quite a lot or listened to record sin the other room just relaxing as we loved the rooms so much.

While we were here we only had a few other people staying so it was quite quiet. Never a queue for any of the toilets, showers etc. and I think even if it was busier you'd be fine. I even tried the bath one night after a long day that was nice. We also used the sauna which was awesome :)

Ernesto was always around to help and for a chat also, he was a lovely guy! The house was always spotless as well. I actually didn't want to leave!

Book Our House, you will not be disappointed, just seriously happy :)

Room Tip: Our room was at bottom of house at back, even though it was on the street it was very quiet. Good ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ArtGirlKim
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed fro a night but wanted to stay forever. It's far more like someone's home than a hostel, so well equipped and laid out. The owners were super helpful and trusting and just let you get on with your stay f you want to or are happy to help out of needed. Stay here!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Al_C_8205
Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 April 2014

What can I say; it really did seem like my house! I've never traveled solo internationally before so I wanted a small, friendly atmosphere where I would be missed if I well, went missing. I also never stayed anywhere where I had to share a bathroom with strangers either. But after reading all the positive reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I'm so glad I did!

Even though I've hear it was call a hostel, I would equate it to more like a bed and breakfast (although I've never stayed in a hostel before). You get your own key to the front door and a key to your own room. All the bedrooms are private so no sharing a room with strangers and there are common areas to relax, entertain or get to know the other guests. There is free self-serve breakfast in the morning and a good food sharing/no sharing system, free wifi, use of their phone to make local calls and computers, provided towels and linens, washer/dryer, the list goes on and on.

When you first come in, there is a wall of Polaroids of who is currently staying in the house and where they are from. There is also a schedule of who is coming and going and notes about their activities. I thought this was a nice touch.

Bedda and Ernesto were excellent hosts - so friendly and full of information about anything you can think of. Bedda owns the place and lives elsewhere which Ernesto lives at the house. The location is premier, right on the top of the hill by the Hallgrimskirkja Church so you won’t get lost and can always find the house. All the airport buses and tours knew where the house was and I was dropped off and picked up right outside the door. This was great since I didn't have to haul my luggage with me or walk down the hill to the bus stop.

There are 5 bedrooms, a kitchen, a sitting room, tv room, 2 showers, and 2 toilets in the house. There is also a sauna, but I never had time to use it. The bathroom usage wasn't much of an issue as I thought, but may get hectic in the mornings, if everyone has a morning tour and likes to shower in the morning.

I left my lens cap in Iceland, so Bedda mailed it to me in the US and also sent me some Icelandic chocolate! I also wasn't charged a night for the room even though it was right in the middle of my 5 might stay since I was on a 2-day tour elsewhere! Where else can you get such great service?

Bedda is the best and so is Our House. You won’t be disappointed staying here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank blr001
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My friend from London, and I (from NY, now Maryland), celebrated 40 years of friendship after meeting during my Junior Year Abroad by a week's trip to Iceland. We stayed at Our House 6 out of the 7 nights. What is really extra-ordinary about Bedda is the kindness and generosity she offers her guests. If she doesn't know something you ask about, she'll find an answer for you by the next day. If she does, she'll share every secret she knows about the place/thing. Her openness and honesty in her dealings with people are so refreshing. Right after we booked the stay and asked some questions about places to go, Bedda sent back a delightful email full of information that we wouldn't have to search for elsewhere. If it sounds like the Our House stay was an important part of our trip, that's because it was!!!

Room Tip: Let Bedda know in advance if you have a hard time walking up or down stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked this place after reading all the reviews here and everything was on point. Bedda and Ernesto are truly the best hosts..they are very accommodating. Our flight got in early morning and our room wasn't available yet, but they had space for our luggage and we just hung around the house, ate some breakfast and then went out to lunch and our room was available by early afternoon. They think of all the little things you need to make your stay comfortable. The house is cozy, clean and fun. It's located really close to the city center and the main shopping street and literally around the corner from the Hallgrímskirkja church. Staying at the house allows you to chat with the other guests and they can often give you great tips and feedback on their own activities. There weren't many people when we were there so it almost felt like it was our own home. Having breakfast available and a refrigerator to stock any food you buy from the supermarket was very helpful for us. Everything you need to cook and serve food is in the awesome fully stocked kitchen. Our favorite part of the home was the sauna. After a long day of sightseeing in the cold, there was no better way to end the day than warming up in the sauna. Bedda communicates via email with you very promptly. I realized I didn't have an electrical outlet converter at the last minute and she emailed back a few hours later saying she had them at the house and I could borrow it. We would totally return to this wonderful gem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Our House in september 2013. It is a place we still talk about, because of it's cosy atmosphere and nice staff. We can absolutely recommend it.
Thank you Bedda and Ernesto for a lovely stay! We have travelled a lot and this is one of our favorites places.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple