“Our House - quite simply the very best place to stay in Reykjavik”
Review of Our House

Our House
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My friend and I stayed at Our House on two occasions in the past month: 4 days initially, then three days following a two-week camping trip across Iceland. Whether arriving for the first time or returning to Reykjavik, my stay at Our House was a highlight of the trip.

Once I stepped through the front door, I truly felt at home and was completely comfortable in this quirky, well-equipped and friendly environment. The owner, Bedda, is always a whirlwind of activity - but when you can catch her, she will always stop for a chat and a laugh about anything and everything! Bedda is a born and bred Icelander and is full of stories, advice and info about virtually anything you ask. Her sister Lovi (who acts as the housekeeper) and Ernesto, the caretaker from Spain, are also helpful, super-friendly and able to help with anything from booking buses and tours, to providing advice on the best swimming pool in the neighbourhood or where to get cheap groceries (and be aware - prices in Iceland are not for the faint of heart).

Our House provides all the basic amenities but so much more as well: a wonderful sauna/shower in the basement, jacuzzi tub in the (shared) bathroom, high-quality cookies and tea/coffee anytime, full kitchen and laundry facilities, a hundred different books and brochures on things to do in Iceland, a selection of records and DVDs for entertainment, etc etc.

More than anything else, it is the relaxing, warm and completely unpretentious atmosphere in Our House that gives it its considerable charm. I always felt like I was being treated like a good friend who stopped in for a visit. We spent many relaxing evenings there cooking dinner, enjoying a glass of wine, hanging out on the upstairs patio, and chatting with the other guests... we even gathered together in front of the big-screen TV for an impromptu World Cup final viewing party!

It's rare to find accommodations away from home where you immediately feel at ease and completely relaxed - Our House is that rare gem, a clean, comfortable and centrally-located guesthouse where you feel fully at home. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone visiting Reykjavik.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Our House

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just as the name suggests, 'Our House' is a really homely guesthouse. And the staff only served to make you feel even more at home. And the location is ideal for the main attractions in Reykjavik. Only wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AYMA1985
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This is located in the heart of Reykjavik near the main cathedral Hallgrimskirkja. The cafes and restaurants were nearby. Our House even has a sauna and a nice terrace for you to relax in. Of course, the host was very friendly and it was nice to get intelligent and personal responses. The price to quality ratio was also quite acceptable but guess this can be subjective depending on where u are from. Overall, clean rooms & bathrooms, sufficient laundry and kitchen facilities with great location.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray_CSY
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Booked this place based on ALL of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. And the reviews were spot on. The caretaker Ernesto was there for you if there were any questions and was very friendly and helpful. I was in email contact with the owner Bedda for several months before arriving based on my flight to Iceland not being guaranteed. She was very understanding about the situation and I am super happy to have made it. I was only able to meet Bedda once in my 4 night stay but this is all anybody needs to know about her. I happened to have a birthday occur during my stay and mentioned it to her in a general conversation when I first met her. I went out a couple of times later that afternoon and the second time I came back, there were birthday goodies and a hand made card made out from her! Over and beyond what was necessary! I agree with all of the reviews below in saying that I felt like I was really in my house after a few days staying there. Everything you could possibly need is there and there are a ton of quirky things all around, even some that I apparently missed upon reading the reviews again.

I recommend going to Iceland for any traveler out there. You will love the local people and will want to return. I never thought I would feel this way but I do. And when you do go, stay at Our House. Bedda has a great thing going. 112 people to date (including myself) can't be wrong!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan809
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a great little place to stay. Very well situated within the city.
Pretty much left to your own devices although a caretaker in on hand with advice if required.
Help yourself to breakfast, then wash up and clear away dishes. Perfect.
Make as much tea/coffee as you wanted.
Nice quiet area, so plenty of sleep.
Highly recommended, ( very highly in fact)

Room Tip: All rooms looked great but we had a ground floor which was perfect for us. It was near the kitchen f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coinman1
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Road trip around whole island start over here. It is very nice place. I was there only one night but I had really very good feeling. I did not meet there any personal but everything was perfect prepare for me, event with gift in the form of small chocolate :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cefan
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was by far one of the best places I've ever stayed and I'm including 4 star resorts etc. The best thing about this place is how comftable you feel and how quickly you feel it! Me and my husband arrived in the morning after flying quite early and as we came round the corner it looked lovely already :) There was a cute envelope on the window with our keys in it and a little note to welcome us. We let ourselves in and the house was lovely!

It was warm, with the radio on and so homely. I already had a smile on my face. Forgetting about our tiredness instantly we ran around the house exploring like kids! Our room was nice with a really comfy bed and a nice little welcome pack. It was so warm as well, they really know how to keep you snuggly in Iceland! We went and had a shower as we felt a bit yuk after our flight and the shower was lovely. After this we bumped in to Bedda and she couldn't have been nicer :) She showed us all around the house and made sure we were happy. She was so lovely we couldn't help but feel at home. She also took our photo with a instant camera so we went up on the board and I have to say I love that touch!

Everything at Our House was great. We loved using the kitchen to cook and there's a great selection of cereals, bread etc. for breakfast. Our House really helped us keep our costs down when it came to food. There's a little shop round the corner also if you want to buy food to make dinner. We also sat in the kitchen quite a lot or listened to record sin the other room just relaxing as we loved the rooms so much.

While we were here we only had a few other people staying so it was quite quiet. Never a queue for any of the toilets, showers etc. and I think even if it was busier you'd be fine. I even tried the bath one night after a long day that was nice. We also used the sauna which was awesome :)

Ernesto was always around to help and for a chat also, he was a lovely guy! The house was always spotless as well. I actually didn't want to leave!

Book Our House, you will not be disappointed, just seriously happy :)

Room Tip: Our room was at bottom of house at back, even though it was on the street it was very quiet. Good ro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple