Stay Apartments Grettisgata
Fosshotel Baron(Reykjavik)
Hotel Fron(Reykjavik)
4th Floor Hotel(Reykjavik)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsapartment was cleangreat locationthe main streetsofa bednice apartmentsthe check in processown mealsstorage roomapartment was greatenglish tv channelsclose to townyour luggagegeothermal waterwashing up liquidwalked everywheresmall kitchenthese apartments
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We went last year in December ad stayed in one of the double/twin rooms on the ground floor/basement. It was small but it was great for what we wanted, which was somewhere cheap and in a great location. Tour buses had no problem finding us, once got a little mixed up with Grettisborg, but that's just down the road a little.

We were less than 5 mins to the shops and it has a budget supermarket round the corner called Bonus, which helped us save money on food (it's pretty expensive to go out for dinner). The kitchen area was small with 2 electric hobs and a microwave, no grill or oven, but we made do. The table and 2 chairs were tiny and quite high up so we didn't bother using them. The TV didn't work but we weren't really there to use the TV. The bathroom/shower room had an issue where the drain was blocked and so water would take ages to drain away and would flood the bathroom a little, which meant we'd have to wait between showers. This was a minor problem for us and I'm sure the staff would have sorted it out had we bothered to contact them. The bed was two singles joined together, which was fine. The windows opened onto pavement-level which meant that sometimes it got a little bit loud at the weekend, so bring earplugs! Also, the room was not quite as bright as they look in the pictures, but it was the dead of winter when we were there.

Overall it was good, but had it not been in such a good spot we may have been a bit disappointed, but it's so close to shops, waterfront and about 15 mins from the lake. If you're not that fussed about luxury but want somewhere to stumble back to after being out all day, it's great! We're booked to go back this December!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2013

First, we booked through booking.com, which may have been an issue. Booking.com doesn't allow reviews of overbooked places, so unless you look elsewhere online, you won't know that this small hotel chain routinely overbooks their hotels.

Now, on to the pain in the derriere that was trying to stay here.

The major issue was that the hotel booked too many guests. This would not have necessarily been an issue if I hadn't just been on a transatlantic flight. We were traveling with two other couples and without a car. When we arrived, I had to call the hotel's office (they have a central office for all of their properties) and ask where my key was. That was when they notified me that they had overbooked. They told me they had not called me to inform me of the overbooking because they figured I was already en route. Sense that just did not make.

As it turns out, my girlfriend and I would be staying at their other (apparently not as nice property) on the other side of town. We did not have a car and it was pouring rain. The owner sent a taxi after some haggling. We were whisked to the Einholt apartments which were cramped and pretty far from the rest of our group. When we arrived, I found there was again no key left for me. I was told to take Ashok Desai's key. I guess he was supposed to stay at Einholt but got booted much the way we did. Poor guy.

While at the Einholt, we ran into a family that had been moved three times by this hotel chain, including once at 2 am. I HIGHLY recommend finding somewhere else to stay. When I called to ask for a refund or at least a discount, I was told Haldo was unavailable and would return my call.

Three weeks later, I'm still waiting for that return call. Also, booking.com has been no help in getting a refund or discount of any sort.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank beauf773
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as our original booking at Einholt Apartments was overbooked. We had a letter when we got to Einholt to say we could get a taxi to Grettisgata Apartments - it took ages for the taxi to arrive not a good start.
Our appartment at Grettisgata was fine apart from the broken handle on the bathroom door and the smell of stale cigarette smoke. We requested a double bed on our original booking but it was 2 singles pushed together. It was fine for our needs as it was somewhere central and somewhere warm to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank serendipityLeicester
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We spent a total of three nights in the apartment. We arrived early in the morning an Snaebjorn made sure we had everything we needed upon arrival. Both him and his wife were avaliable to answer any questions we needed. We ended up staying two nights, traveling north and then returning for our final night. We were moved to an upstairs apartment for the final night in Reykjavik which was a great upgrade (although both aparments were great). Very clean. Blow dryer in the bathroom. Warm. Very comforable. The location is perfect for the main shopping street. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed here at Grettisgata from 1st - 8th March in a one bedroom apartment.

Facilities in the apartment were great, kitchen equipped with everything you would need, dining and sitting area, private en-suite with toilet roll and towels provided every other day.
Beds were very comfortable. Apartment was clean. Free wifi was great, although it would be useful to have the code in the room/lobby for easy access.

The location of the apartment is brilliant, it is literally less than a two minute walk to the main street Laugavegur, with the supermarket being around 3 minutes walk away.

We found that when we needed to speak to a member of staff they were very helpful.

We had a brilliant time in Reykjavik and our Grettisgata apartment made our stay extra enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to request a room on the top floor as our upstairs neighbours seemed to be banging constantly, either that or they were moving furniture the whole time.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends