“Great Location”

Stay Apartments Grettisgata
New York City, New York
“Great Location”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had 4 apartments over 2 stays. We had rooms on the second floor, the first and what would be a basement apartment, so we really were all over the building. The location is excellent. Its easy walking distance to most of what we wanted to do while in Reykjavik. The staff, when they are around, are very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the space was adequate. A couple of caveats- because the stay apartments do not have a full time attendant, sometimes we had the access to the rooms by the designated time, other times we had to call and have someone let us in. It was never very long but its good to be prepared to be flexible. The kitchens are randomly stocked- I had the makings for coffee and tea in mine while my friend had salt and pepper and olive oil. The request that the previous guest do the dishes means you are at the mercy of whomever last stayed in the unit- we frequently had to rewash the cups and dishes before use. Still, it was a good value for the location, and adequate enough for making breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The place looks very much like a hostel. The only difference to a hostel is that you have a small kitchen and a bathroom in the room. Though not in all rooms. Some rooms have an attached bathroom in the hallway. For example, room 301. I can not recommend a particularly room. There are rooms in the basement where you can be bothered, and it's very disturbing and one can see into the room from the courtyard. There are rooms on the second and third floors, but here you can get the bathroom in the hallway or rooms at the penthouse with very low roof. The rooms are really small. But what was most poorly was the cleanliness. It's very dirty in the room. They only change towels and take out the trash every other day. So by the time it get's really dusty and dirty everywhere. The house is old and although it was renovated a few years ago, it is still not quite fresh. The sofa in our room looked really poor and dirty. The mattress on my bed had a big old brown spot and it was really disgusting to sleep there. It smells like mildew very strong and there is no ventilation in the house. You have to have the windows half open all the time so the mold smell does not get too strong. And it is moist all the time in the room.
The pillows are very small and I asked for an extra pillow which I never got. I slept with a few clothes under the pillow instead.
In the information provided by the hotel claims that there is air-conditioning in every room. There is an element in every room but they work badly. You can get either very hot or nothing at all. The elements in the bathroom did not work at all. It was very cold in the shower.
In short: if you're going to be in Reykjavik for no more than two or three days then this is perhaps a solution, but if you're going to be there a longer time, I highly recommend taking a different place. It's not a three stars hotel. It's a hostel there one can have own kitchen and sometimes a private bathroom. Nothing more! We did asked at another hotel nearby about the prices and the rooms where just a bit more expensive than at Grettisgata. So take another hotel. There is not such a big difrence in price.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gumman69

Travellers are raving about these Reykjavik hotels

London
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed for 3 nights and had 2 apartments for our party of 4.The location is great very close to restaurants,bars,shops and a supermarket for breakfast items.You can park in the street outside without charge.We had one apartment which was not large for the price but we could eat together at breakfast plus sofa area for drinks etc.Although there is alcohol shop within 10 mins walk,get drinks at the duty free in arrivals at the airport as it is much cheaper but not cheap.Bathrooms were very small.Kitchen area had microwave,hob,toaster and reasonable amount of kitchen equipment.
Everything in Iceland is expensive including accomodation but I would not have paid what we did for what we got in another country.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We went last year in December ad stayed in one of the double/twin rooms on the ground floor/basement. It was small but it was great for what we wanted, which was somewhere cheap and in a great location. Tour buses had no problem finding us, once got a little mixed up with Grettisborg, but that's just down the road a little.

We were less than 5 mins to the shops and it has a budget supermarket round the corner called Bonus, which helped us save money on food (it's pretty expensive to go out for dinner). The kitchen area was small with 2 electric hobs and a microwave, no grill or oven, but we made do. The table and 2 chairs were tiny and quite high up so we didn't bother using them. The TV didn't work but we weren't really there to use the TV. The bathroom/shower room had an issue where the drain was blocked and so water would take ages to drain away and would flood the bathroom a little, which meant we'd have to wait between showers. This was a minor problem for us and I'm sure the staff would have sorted it out had we bothered to contact them. The bed was two singles joined together, which was fine. The windows opened onto pavement-level which meant that sometimes it got a little bit loud at the weekend, so bring earplugs! Also, the room was not quite as bright as they look in the pictures, but it was the dead of winter when we were there.

Overall it was good, but had it not been in such a good spot we may have been a bit disappointed, but it's so close to shops, waterfront and about 15 mins from the lake. If you're not that fussed about luxury but want somewhere to stumble back to after being out all day, it's great! We're booked to go back this December!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

First, we booked through booking.com, which may have been an issue. Booking.com doesn't allow reviews of overbooked places, so unless you look elsewhere online, you won't know that this small hotel chain routinely overbooks their hotels.

Now, on to the pain in the derriere that was trying to stay here.

The major issue was that the hotel booked too many guests. This would not have necessarily been an issue if I hadn't just been on a transatlantic flight. We were traveling with two other couples and without a car. When we arrived, I had to call the hotel's office (they have a central office for all of their properties) and ask where my key was. That was when they notified me that they had overbooked. They told me they had not called me to inform me of the overbooking because they figured I was already en route. Sense that just did not make.

As it turns out, my girlfriend and I would be staying at their other (apparently not as nice property) on the other side of town. We did not have a car and it was pouring rain. The owner sent a taxi after some haggling. We were whisked to the Einholt apartments which were cramped and pretty far from the rest of our group. When we arrived, I found there was again no key left for me. I was told to take Ashok Desai's key. I guess he was supposed to stay at Einholt but got booted much the way we did. Poor guy.

While at the Einholt, we ran into a family that had been moved three times by this hotel chain, including once at 2 am. I HIGHLY recommend finding somewhere else to stay. When I called to ask for a refund or at least a discount, I was told Haldo was unavailable and would return my call.

Three weeks later, I'm still waiting for that return call. Also, booking.com has been no help in getting a refund or discount of any sort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beau F
Leicester
Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as our original booking at Einholt Apartments was overbooked. We had a letter when we got to Einholt to say we could get a taxi to Grettisgata Apartments - it took ages for the taxi to arrive not a good start.
Our appartment at Grettisgata was fine apart from the broken handle on the bathroom door and the smell of stale cigarette smoke. We requested a double bed on our original booking but it was 2 singles pushed together. It was fine for our needs as it was somewhere central and somewhere warm to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank serendipityLeicester
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We spent a total of three nights in the apartment. We arrived early in the morning an Snaebjorn made sure we had everything we needed upon arrival. Both him and his wife were avaliable to answer any questions we needed. We ended up staying two nights, traveling north and then returning for our final night. We were moved to an upstairs apartment for the final night in Reykjavik which was a great upgrade (although both aparments were great). Very clean. Blow dryer in the bathroom. Warm. Very comforable. The location is perfect for the main shopping street. I would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends