“Suitable for extended stay in Reykjavik”

Reykjavik Backpackers
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week in a four-bed dorm. For the price in the off season (After Aug 31), I thought it was fine and the location right on the main street is perfect. It does get noisy and they do play loud music until 1 AM on weekdays and later on weekends, however they offer free earplugs at the front desk.

The 4th floor kitchen was available for anyone on any floor, so I am not sure why people in other reviews mention that its only available for those on the 4th floor. Myself and a couple of my room mates used the kitchen on several occasions.

Staff were helpful in both the reception and bar area and I enjoyed the drink specials from 4-8.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side of the building.
Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have visited Backpackers already a year ago when staying in another hostel and booking my trips here. I like the cafe/bar downstairs as well. This time I decided to sleep here mainly because of the location, location, location. I didn't use the facilities that much but shower and room were ok. Nothing special but ok :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Right on the main drag in Reykjavik, this well-organized hostel gave us plenty of helpful tips for guiding the rest of our tip and helped organize some transport, etc. Common space was good for laptopping and comparing notes with other travelers. A calmer/somewhat older atmosphere than Kex, but bar is still hopping on Saturday night and during happy hours. Great place to charge up & wifi, too.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

PROs: we found our room quite clean and so were the toilets. The atmosphere in the pub was nice. CONs: wifi only available in the main building. I got bitten by a bee! :( I have no more things to say but I got to reach 200 digits to forward my feedback so... is it enough? Let's see...

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed at this hostel for three nights during our stay in reykiavik. We booked a double room with shared facilities. When we arrived they told us that the room was in the new building at the back of the hostel, just renovated. However when we entered the room they still had not made the room, so we had to go at reception to inform them to put bedlinen and serviettes and clean the bin. Apparently they did not care to make the room before our arrival, they seemed even irritated that we asked to empty the bin. Then we had to go back a second time to provide hangers which were missing in the wardrobe....well they said they had none and they even not bothered to go and look for others, whether some of the other guests had taken them in their rooms, or just to go and buy new ones, this was the minimum as there was no place to hang coats and jeans. The room was not cleaned during our stay, neither the bin was emptied. When we asked to provide a hairdryer they said first they had none, then they found one, but with an American plug, but when asked to give us the adaptor for European plugs, they replied quite badly to go and buy to the hardware store just opposite the hostel. The front door was difficult to open, when asked to help, they said again, oh but it is easy, turn to the left and then to th right! Like if we had not tried already before for a while! We had to insist to get the reception guy to show us how to do rather than just telling us. It was a continuos struggle as no service was provided and people are reception were just not bothering to provide any. Luckily we slept well, as there was no noise coming from the main street, a problem if you are staying in the main building. Also there was no Internet wifi in our building so we had to go to reception to get wifi. I hope in the meantime they solved this. Bathroom was clean at least in our building.

I won't stay back there, although central, but I think the price was too high compared to the service provided. Get good smiling people at reception, and good cleaners who bother to clean the rooms and install some hair dryers in the bathrooms! It costs nothing, but helps!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We had booked a double room which consisted of two single mattresses end to end in a room some 5 feet wide on the 4th floor up a steep concrete stairway. We had to queue to use the toilet or shower as there were a number of rooms sharing. Shower curtains were stained and hanging off the rail, mats always soaking and dirty. We had to 'hire' towels as we should have realised we would need our own. They were probably clean but very old and worn and stained. We stayed a Friday and a Saturday night so we expected noise particularly as the location is so central. However, the noise continued all night until about 7am, people shouting, screaming and blaring music. I do acknowledge the very good reviews on this site and can only imagine that other dorms on lower floors were better?

Room Tip: Not for couples, maybe try a dorm on a lower level
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rossmaroon
Reviewed 22 August 2013

The main point is the location, the staff are helpful and friendly and generally speaking we can say it is clean.
If I need to point a negative point it will be the price, as it makes no sense if you are 2 person to pay 75 euro night and share the room with 2 other people. Anyway, I would recommend it if you like hostels with young vibe.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple